Do I need 600 mile service for warranty? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Do I need 600 mile service for warranty?

If I do it myself instead of the dealer will I be out of a Kawi warranty?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Bug View Post
If I do it myself instead of the dealer will I be out of a Kawi warranty?
Thanks.

ummm...yes. We know they barely do anything at that first service but what they do do is provide you with documentation showing that your machine has been serviced at the proper mileage by a factory trained tech. If it blows up one day you have firm ground to stand on as you go after Kawasaki. Do it yourself and you're on your own...even though I have the feeling you knew this already and your'e just pulling chains.

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 10:37 PM
DBL

Also, be sure to double check your bill before paying for it. My 600 mile service showed them using 4 quarts of oil but the bike holds less than 2 after a filter and oil change so I had to get my money back on the extra charges. Whole service cost around $150 but heck if it keeps my warranty valid for a year, I'll take it. I rode my new '10 V so much I had 600 miles on it in less than a week! Bought the bike on a Wednesday and had it's 600 mile service on the following Tuesday. I would have gone Monday, but they were closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman325 View Post
ummm...yes. We know they barely do anything at that first service but what they do do is provide you with documentation showing that your machine has been serviced at the proper mileage by a factory trained tech. If it blows up one day you have firm ground to stand on as you go after Kawasaki. Do it yourself and you're on your own...even though I have the feeling you knew this already and your'e just pulling chains.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 10:38 PM

Not sure if this apply to motorcycles. In tbe US not servicing a motor vehicle does not invalidate the warranty.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Pulling Chains? No. But, I have been googleing it for half an hour and found this. http://www.kawasaki.com/HelpCenter/h....aspx#service2
It says you don't have to take it to a dealer. Dealer wants $225. I guess I'll still do it, but that sucks.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 10:52 PM

No you don't have to have it serviced at kawasaki for the warranty to be valid. You can do it yourself and document your own work.

Besides, they don't do anything at the first service that would prevent mechanical failure due to defect. All they do is retorque bolts, check chain slack, brakes, and all fluids. As well as an oil change.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 10:55 PM

By the way, if you do go to the dealer for the first service then you can try to negotiate the price down. If it's the same dealer where you bought the bike. If you don't speak up they will just charge what they want.

In my opinion, it's not worth getting the oil changed at the dealer or any service shop. It's so easy to do.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
What you can do is to get the dealer to stamp your warranty service card. It comes with you V. I did this and the dealer will be happy to do it as he claims from Kawa for the service.

I did this for the 2 service under warranty. Not sure it will work for you there.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 09:30 AM

Here's a nice warranty horror story for you. I bought a new V-Strom from my friend and dealer in Seattle and I should have taken it back to him for the 600 mile service or performed it myself. I wanted the first service to be performed by a competent dealer though, so since I lived North of Seattle at the time, I took it to Everett Powersports in Everett, WA. They charged me close to $600 for the initial service. I told them that was outrageous and asked why it was so much. They responded with "the valve clearance had to be checked and there is a lot of labor involved in getting to them." Then they refunded $120. I don't believe they even checked the valves on that first check. That's one of the reasons I now own a Versys.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 12:58 PM

As rule I generally do all my own maintenance, but leave most repair in the hands of a competent mechanic, one that I can trust. That guy hasn't been at a dealer's shop in a long time.
Luckily for me there is a good independent shop that opened up near me and the owner is Kawasaki Certified. That's where I took my Versys for the 600 mile service- cost $147. A lot for an oil and filter change that I could do myself. But he also checked all the items on the list, re-torqued a few things, balanced free-play at the throttle and clutch so that I'd be able to adjust at the controls as needed, cleaned and adjusted the chain, checked my suspension settings, and put some of the air back in the tire that I'd let out (I like running them a little softer than spec).
More important though, he started a relationship with my new bike. In a way, it's his new bike too. He started reading up on the V after I dropped mine off, and mentioned how much he liked the bike when I picked it up. He thought the engineering was really good, and that Kawi had made some smart choices that were able to bring production costs down.
I'll still do most of my oil changes, a spin-on filter? Cool! Lube and adjust my chain and cables as needed, Farkle and chase cowling buzzes. But for bigger services at 7.5 & 15K the V is gonna go see Chris. Ditto for Tires.
So that's my advice, find a shop that you want to take the bike to, one that values your business, and knows that there's a lot of "service" that goes into a service. Take your bike to them for the important ones, document the other ones (keep receipts). They'll make some money. That's how they stay in business. Then, if anything ever happens to your bike that's beyond your skill or comfort level to deal with, you'll know it's in good hands when you need to drop it at the shop. A good chance that you'll get it back sooner as well.
Jim Nazium likes this.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
As rule I generally do all my own maintenance, but leave most repair in the hands of a competent mechanic, one that I can trust. That guy hasn't been at a dealer's shop in a long time.
Luckily for me there is a good independent shop that opened up near me and the owner is Kawasaki Certified. That's where I took my Versys for the 600 mile service- cost $147. A lot for an oil and filter change that I could do myself. But he also checked all the items on the list, re-torqued a few things, balanced free-play at the throttle and clutch so that I'd be able to adjust at the controls as needed, cleaned and adjusted the chain, checked my suspension settings, and put some of the air back in the tire that I'd let out (I like running them a little softer than spec).
More important though, he started a relationship with my new bike. In a way, it's his new bike too. He started reading up on the V after I dropped mine off, and mentioned how much he liked the bike when I picked it up. He thought the engineering was really good, and that Kawi had made some smart choices that were able to bring production costs down.
I'll still do most of my oil changes, a spin-on filter? Cool! Lube and adjust my chain and cables as needed, Farkle and chase cowling buzzes. But for bigger services at 7.5 & 15K the V is gonna go see Chris. Ditto for Tires.
So that's my advice, find a shop that you want to take the bike to, one that values your business, and knows that there's a lot of "service" that goes into a service. Take your bike to them for the important ones, document the other ones (keep receipts). They'll make some money. That's how they stay in business. Then, if anything ever happens to your bike that's beyond your skill or comfort level to deal with, you'll know it's in good hands when you need to drop it at the shop. A good chance that you'll get it back sooner as well.

Baron650,

Where is this shop you're referring to? I'm on the West-side of Portland in Hillsboro and am planning on doing my own maint. (oil/filter changes) as well, but would love to know of a good shop I can use for the more technically challenging things that come up. $147 seems like a fair price for the 600 mile service.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Bug View Post
Pulling Chains? No. But, I have been googleing it for half an hour and found this. http://www.kawasaki.com/HelpCenter/h....aspx#service2
It says you don't have to take it to a dealer. Dealer wants $225. I guess I'll still do it, but that sucks.

WOW...I truly just learned something! Had no clue doing your own maintenance would not void warranty...that seems to defy the cradle to grave nanny state we live in! I like it!

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 06:11 PM

Here is the link to the FTC site that explains the A Businessperson's Guide to Federal Warranty Law. This is the law that regulates written warranties in consumer products in the US. http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/busi...#Magnuson-Moss

A warranty that requires service from an authorized dealer would have a Tie in Sales provision. This is no allowed under Federal law. However, Kawasaki warranty can state that service needs to be performed by a qualified technician. The term "qualified technician" can be debatable in court. Kawasaki does offer clear technical specifications about what needs to be done when, and have specific recommendations about who should do it. I understand that anyone that can read and follow a set of technical specifications is qualified to do standard maintenance items.

Below is what the law states about tie in sales provisions.

Tie-In Sales" Provisions

Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

While you cannot use a tie-in sales provision, your warranty need not cover use of replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for your product. The following is an example of a permissible provision that excludes coverage of such things.

While necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company, we recommend that you use only authorized AudioMundo dealers. Improper or incorrectly performed maintenance or repair voids this warranty.

Although tie-in sales provisions generally are not allowed, you can include such a provision in your warranty if you can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the FTC that your product will not work properly without a specified item or service. If you believe that this is the case, you should contact the warranty staff of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection for information on how to apply for a waiver of the tie-in sales prohibition.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 06:16 PM

It would be illegal for Kawasaki (or another manufacturer) to require you to go to a dealer for service in order to maintain your warranty. It's part of the Magnuson-Moss Act which was passed 35 years ago, so this is not news.

Here's the proof, straight from the Federal Trade Commission:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/adv/bus01.shtm

(See the section on "Tie-In Sales" Provisions)

Just keep a receipt showing you bought the oil and filter required to be changed

EDITED: Ooops, Boricua beat me to it by a few seconds!

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 06:19 PM

I recommend just doing the 600 mile service yourself just so you can learn your bike better. It's nice knowing how to adjust the throttle and clutch...and you should know where all the bolts are on your bike so you know where to look when inspecting it.

The manual tells you everything you need to check for on the 600 mile service. The only thing it doesn't tell you are torque specifications.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 06:45 PM

Courts have determined in various cases (mostly applicable to cars) that not performing maintenance does not void the warranty. However, I do my maintenance according to manufacturer specs.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 07:47 PM

You can service your own bike, or have someone else do it. This will not void your warranty.

In most cases the dealerships do sub-par work, and rarely do everything called for in the owners manual.

If you have a good dealership, and feel better ponying up the mula to have them service the bike, then by all means take it to that dealership.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudarra View Post
In most cases the dealerships do sub-par work, and rarely do everything called for in the owners manual.

I can vouch for that. Something as simple as tire pressures...at the first service they had them on paper at 36 front and rear (which is high up front). When I checked them later the actual pressures were 31 frnt and 33 rr. I know it's only tire pressure but what about something like valves? I'm glad this question was asked as I have spent a ton at the dealer thinking I had to for warranty purposes.

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 02:10 PM

Hey Dad, the shop I was referring to is CycleTune at SE48th & Division. StumpTown Coffee down the street if you want to wait.
http://www.cycletunepdx.com/

I was taking my TDM to Gary Black at Cycle Metrics on NW Thompson, maybe closer to you. He always did right by me, and I'd take the TDM to him were I to keep it, but I can walk to CycleTune from my place. Gary doesn't have a website but this is his shop-
http://portland.citysearch.com/profi...e_metrics.html
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Dad

Thanks for the information Baron650, I'll check out Gary Black when the time comes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode