klr 650 versys ultra classic - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
klr 650 versys ultra classic

hi folks new guy here im currently the owner of an 07 ultra classic been thinking of going dual sport was wondering is the versys a good dual sport or does the klr650 make a better dual sport i have never rode one of these (except a 2minute test on a klr 650) any info would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 12:15 PM

the KLR is a dual sport IMO were the Versys is meant for the roads ,not alot of clearance and the muffler is way to low to go through a stream . front fender is also too low god I love my Versys thou

Working to make it my Streetfighter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
V
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:07 PM

For Dual-Sport, KLR all the way. More aggressive tires would help on dirt/gravel roads, but the Versys seems biased more toward street riding.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:38 PM

I use to have a KLR and switched to the Versys because I was looking for a road bike with the feel of the KLR, but if you want dual sport, go with the KLR. The Versys is a road bike than can do a bit of gravel road.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actar911 View Post
I use to have a KLR and switched to the Versys because I was looking for a road bike with the feel of the KLR, but if you want dual sport, go with the KLR. The Versys is a road bike than can do a bit of gravel road.
Sorry to be contradicting but the Versys may not be the dual-sport ride that a KLR is but it does have some good off-road abilities. If you are going to do a lot off-road then I would go for the KLR, but if you are leaning towards a mixed use with the bias towards road use - I'd go for the Versys.

On my recent trip to West Virginia I took the Versys down some rough logging roads. I thought I was going to toast my Versys on these roads but it managed just fine. One section was through a foot of water. I couldn't believe I did that but the Versys pulled through fine. Another section was a series of pot holes. I didn't mean to steer for it but I ended up in them anyway and I thought I was going to fold the forks under the bike but it managed.

I think the Versys could do more off road but it does need a bit of beefing up to be more off-road oriented and of course different tires.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 07:56 PM
cls

I have an '08 V (Wife's.), and I had an '05 KLR (Also, wife's.). I'm about to get another V and a KLR, FWIW. If you want a true d-s, get the Killer. If you want an adventure-tourer, it depends on how much you're going to ride off-road, and how rough that off-roading will be. The KLR is better off-road. The V is better on-road. For more than 25%, or so, off-road, or for more serious off-roading, I'd go KLR. I think they're both good enough to own one of each. The V is the best-balanced road bike I've ever had. And I've had a bunch. Good stuff for practical, public road riding.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I just can't see taking the Versys off-road much... I could take my KLR across a hay field full-tilt and she was smooth as glass (Racetech up front and Moab in the rear). I think that same run would make my Versys very unhappy.. of course I'll never find out because the street oriented tires would also be very unhappy. I could see low speed two-track, gravel, even shallow water crossing, buy the peg-to-seat is too short to stand for long, and there is not much clearance for getting over rocks, ruts, roots, etc.

I know you can take a Versys off-road... just don't think its something you will enjoy doing. I think taking the Versys off-road is like taking the KLR on the Interstate.... it'll work, but when you get there, you'll know it's not really where she wants to be.

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 10:31 PM

My Versys - Street

My XR650L - Dirt

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

States I've ridden in so far

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode