I Love my Seat! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I Love my Seat!

now that Spencer re did it, I highly recommend this mod!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss.jpg (922.8 KB, 562 views)

Bikes:
2011 Kawasaki Versys (expected soon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Triumph Speedmaster (current)
2007 Buell XB STT Lightning (Sold)
2009 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Harley Fatbob (Current)
2007 Triumph Speedmaster (Sold)
2008 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Yamaha Raider (Sold)
2008 Suzuki M109R (Sold)
2006 Yamaha Warrior (Sold)
2004 Triumph America (Sold)
2002 Suzuki DRZ400S (Sold)
1972 Kawasaki 100 Enduro (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 02:16 PM

Good to hear that because I'm shipping mine off to Spencer's tomorrow. Can give give some specifics in regards to what modifications you had?

I'm having the "LD" mod and reduce the forward slope a little. Height will remain the same.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

I don't know what the LD mod is, I just told him to do the Supracore foam, and whatever he could to keep me from sliding in to the tank, it is perfect now...............

Bikes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Suzuki M109R (Sold)

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 05:19 PM

Thanks.............the"LD" or "Long Distance" mod is the Supracore foam which is what I'm getting too.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 05:23 PM

More info on spencers please?
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 07:35 PM

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 11:01 AM

Now much was this mod? And now that you have had it a few days do you still like it?
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 11:16 AM

X2, price?
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 12:39 PM

Looks pretty fast turn around. I try to follow this site, but don't remember Spencers being talked about before.

Blue 09 Versys
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudduck View Post
Looks pretty fast turn around. I try to follow this site, but don't remember Spencers being talked about before.
He has done two of my seats, one on the ST1300 and the other is the Versys.

He is pretty well known on most of the forums and referred to as "Spencerized" seat mod.

The long distance gel upgrade is suppose to help on longer rides providing more support.

One improvement he made on my Versys seat was to shape it in the front so it did not have me riding up against the tank. On the stock seat, there seemed to be some padding missing there which had you move a little far forward. With his shapeing, I was back a little more and more comfortable.

My brother in law had been test riding a Versys and then came over for a Sunday afternoon ride on mine. That was the first thing he noticed was how much better the seat felt.

Spencer can also lower the seat if need be. Cheaper than the Kawi low-gel-seat option they sell.

I would not hesitate to have him modify anything I bought in the future myself.

David

2008 Versys
2004 Honda ST1300
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampana View Post
X2, price?
I'm having Spencer do mine as I type. He is charging $75 for the Supracore foam mod and forward slope correction.

As far as shipping costs, get ready to bend over.........

.....$110 round trip from Ca. to Fl. UPS ground.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 07:00 PM

GOOD NIGHT IRENE 110?
Anyway $185 for a comfy seat is well worth the price.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

My shipping costs from Va to Florida were only $60 round trip, so the total cost was only $135. I still love the seat he modified it slightly so I no longer slide into the tank, (some suggested here that its because I came from cruisers my riding technique is bad, that is incorrect, it is a design flaw in the seat). It is comfortable now and along with the Lowering kit from Motowerk the bike is awesome now.................

Bikes:

2008 Suzuki M109R (Sold)
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 06:20 AM

I don't how anyone could tell you that if they followed any of these seat threads. The stock seat just doesn't work for most people! I can't imagine anyone not having a problem with sliding forward on it...I don't think it bothered me as much as most people, but after seeing what a proper seat (Corbin and Baldwin) I really understand the problem.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrider View Post
I'm having Spencer do mine as I type. He is charging $75 for the Supracore foam mod and forward slope correction.

As far as shipping costs, get ready to bend over.........

.....$110 round trip from Ca. to Fl. UPS ground.
what size box did you go with?
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
what size box did you go with?
15x15x30......the next smallest was too small. I should have just made my own box. Shipping weight was 9 lbs.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 04:15 PM

My biggest issue with the 2010 V so far (after only 2 days of riding) is the seating position. Not so much the padding, just that all my weight seems to be directed on my pelvic bone instead of my butt, almost like I am straddling a saddle. Not sure if the mod addresses this. I am 6'-2" with a 34" inseam. HELP.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrider View Post
15x15x30......the next smallest was too small. I should have just made my own box. Shipping weight was 9 lbs.
I know on the web site they say try and keep the total inches at 54 or below.
I have a 30x14x10 as soon as I can figure out the best time(less down time) to send the seat I will ship it out.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiseman View Post
My biggest issue with the 2010 V so far (after only 2 days of riding) is the seating position. Not so much the padding, just that all my weight seems to be directed on my pelvic bone instead of my butt, almost like I am straddling a saddle. Not sure if the mod addresses this. I am 6'-2" with a 34" inseam. HELP.
I feel your pain, 6'3 and 36" here. Copy of Spencer email for detailed info.

The Versys riders area can be reshaped internally and remain at stock height for more rearward bias, with better support, and to distribute your weight across the entire seat rather than concentrating it on the crowned center, without effecting the nose shape so you will still have freedom of movement in the twisties and enhanced position and comfort for day long rides. I also create a softer frontal midline to take pressure off of the crotch. Due to the surprisingly thin foam depth in the actual seating area (the seat pan is angled upward and has a big indentation) I would strongly suggest adding the Supracor suspension to the riders section if you plan to ride any distance. It provides a more form fit, reduces vibration in the seat, and dampens road shock, while not effecting the angle correction or final seat height. The Supracor/LD material works for the rider because it is a dynamic material with an instant rebound. It moves with you, working with your weight shifts for proper bike control. If you use a material in the riders section that "takes a set" it locks you in one position and fights against you. This is the main problem with foams as the rider is constantly moving, even while cruising the highway you are making small corrections in your weight distribution. .

Pricing would be the standard minimum for a single piece seat of $50 for the actual work to the riders area and a $25 material charge for the Supracor.

A photo of you in riding position is helpful and appreciated, but not an absolute necessity. Each seat is set up specifically for the rider so any additional information you think I may need regarding your position, type of riding, any medical concerns you may have should be listed in the special instructions area on the order form. When you think you have given me too much information, just a little more should be about right.

Feel free to ship at your convenience, all that I ask is that you drop me note when you do so that I can properly set my schedule. My current turnaround with the spring rush is no more than 48 hours so your only real downtime will be in shipping. If you visit my web site you can find the order form as well as my FAQ page which contains more information regarding shipping, payment, and a bunch (probably too much) general information. Contact me any time if you have questions.

Thanks again and ride safe, Spencer
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 10:37 PM
jb7

Just got my seat back from Spencer today. I was very happy to see that the appearance of the seat has not changed much if at all. Looks stock which was what I wanted. Have only ridden about 1/2 an hour on it so far, but have noticed already that it is much more comfortable, I am no longer being pitched toward the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode