So I did a track day! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2015, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So I did a track day!

Last Saturday I did my first track day ever and it was AWESOME!!!!!

A friend who has been doing track days for a number of years, after getting out of the MX game, talked me into signing up. He is a member of the Team Pro motion sport bike club and they offer an Advanced Riders Training course so it seemed the logical thing to do. They also provide free gear so I didn't have to invest in a race suit. The course consisted of 20 minuet intervals of classroom time then 20 on the track. The first few sessions on the track you follow an instructors race line at slowly increasing speeds and finally let you go at your own pace while they watch from afar and give you pointers or encouragement back in the classroom. The class section was great because they focus on vision, body position, and being smooth and safe instead of the speed aspect. After lunch they let you ride on the slow group as much as you want but if you want more coaching you can talk to an instructor who will follow you and continue to work with you as much as you want.

The track day was at Summit Point's Shenandoah track which turns out to be a relatively slow but technical track. This part was awesome because the variety of corners helped me learn so much more and even though I felt like I was taking it easy and concentrating on getting it right I noticed I was keeping up with some of the big bikes. I had people in the pits on 1198's saying "Is that a Versys? Hell yea dude!"

Coming into the day I felt like I was a pretty good road rider and I had my riding dialed in. By the end of the day they had made me realize I had some bad habits and not only rectified them but also improved my riding exponentially. Absolutely EVERYONE was super happy and welcoming and the instructors were amazing.

On the whole, everyone should take the course! There was everyone in it from a young kid on an RC390 to a guy in his late 60's on a VFR 500. For the 195$ that I paid I honestly cant figure out how they made and money off of me. Combined with the level of instruction and the amount of time on track I think got way more than my moneys worth. Yet again the Versys took yet another adventure in stride and excelled far past my expectations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg td1.jpg (45.6 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg td.jpg (52.1 KB, 112 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2015, 12:53 PM

Old 07-13-2015, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarshread View Post
Last Saturday I did my first track day ever and it was AWESOME!!!!!
Lookin good. Next stop VIR!

Old 07-13-2015, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

I totally would if I could but I don't have the budget yet. One of these days Ill get down there.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:23 PM

That is awesome !

I took a basic riding course this weekend. If I learned anything, it's that continued learning and improvement is critical.

The instructor told me to put 2000 miles on my back, then come back for the experienced course.

I told him I'd see him in 2 weeks !

2014 Versys 650 in glorious Kawasaki Green
Old 07-13-2015, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Awesome! Glad your experience was a great one I'm doing my second track day next month in Houston, Texas. My first one was on my 2009 ER-6N, but this will be the first time for my V 650 LT. I cannot wait to lean & learn on the V Might have to leave the side cases off for this one...
Old 07-14-2015, 01:07 AM

Cool. Hell yeah! Way to go dude.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:11 AM

Garage
Very cool!
Old 07-14-2015, 09:43 AM

nice. track time is addictive and R3s are cheap.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:01 AM

Nice man. I live in DC and keep wanting to take my Versys to Summit, but as you said time and money are both tight.

However if they have a class for under $300 that includes the gear I can get on that real quick!

p.s. If you're ever troubleshooting the Versys and need a shop to work in let me know. I have a pretty decent 'hobby' shop just north of Alexandria.

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
Old 07-14-2015, 10:50 AM

That sounds awesome. I would love to try something like that some day.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
Old 07-14-2015, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in