Motorcycle Safety Ain’t For All Riders - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Motorcycle Safety Ain’t For All Riders

WHERE ARE YOU ON THE SPECTRUM OF MOTORCYCLE SAFETY?

If you are reading this, it could be presumed that you have some level of interest in motorcycle safety. But in my experience, what that means in terms of “how much” or “how little” you routinely demonstrate the “best practices” of rider safety may vary considerably.

Although individual perspectives about motorcycle safety are diverse, generally they can be expressed relative to a concept of “I’m a good rider”.

I’m a Good Rider
1) On one end of the motorcycle safety spectrum is the notion that “I’m a good rider. I won’t crash.” That can be translated to mean that motorcycle safety is less of a concern, since one wouldn’t require much protection if he/she were to never crash.

2) Another end of the spectrum is the concept that “I’m a good rider. But I don’t know about every other driver on the road.” The central idea here is that on any ride, on any day, there is the potential to crash or be hit by some inattentive driver.

These two views could be imagined as opposite ends of a spectrum with varying gradients of considerations between.

Motorcycle Rider Fate
There’s an additional consideration, or cliche, that expresses another viewpoint about two types of motorbike riders: “Those that have gone down, and those that will.”

Although this viewpoint is not shared by all motorcyclists, per force, it can only exist within the second half of the “I’m a good rider safety spectrum.” In other words, no rider who entertains the first belief that “I’m a good rider, I won’t crash” cannot also hold an idea that it is fate that every biker will ultimately go down
between.

So, where do your beliefs fall within this spectrum?

That’s somewhat of a trick question, because regardless of what you may “think” or even “say” about motorcycle safety, the true answer is reflected in what you wear when you ride.

Motorcycle Protective Gear
Your safety beliefs are evident by your riding gear. If you believe you are a good rider and you won’t crash, you probably won’t place a priority on wearing any or all of the following:

♦ Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet
♦ Full Motorcycle Gloves (Not half gloves)
♦ Good Motorcycle Boots
♦ A Good Quality Motorcycle Jacket with armor
♦ Motorcycle Pants or Chaps (Ideally, with armor)

On the other hand, if you are at the other end of the spectrum and believe you are a good rider but are not confident about everyone else on the road, you likely will be wearing some or all of the above.
What’s the Best Motorcycle Safety Philosophy?
Reality is uncompromisingly revelatory: Bikers crash every day. Too many motorcyclists get killed. Every day.

And yet as humans many of us believe that “Crashing won’t happen to me.” Which means every rider who has crashed and/or been killed was likely thinking a similar thing: “It won’t ever happen to me.”

The good new is that some percentage of riders will be right: “It won’t happen to them.” Carry on!

But how do you “know” you’ll never go down?

What if it’s possible that some day you might crash?

What should you be wearing on that day?

A little reflection on how to improve one’s likelihood of enjoying riding as long as possible would include the philosophy of embracing the following safety points:

♦ Wearing protective gear
♦ Increasing one’s riding skills (study, training, practice)
♦ Gaining lots of riding experience! (Ideally, while developing good riding habits)

By the way, what about bikers who don’t consider they are a good rider in the first place?

Although that concept should easily encompass brand-new riders, I don’t actually recall ever meeting anyone who considered that they were “not” a good rider – completely independent of their experience.

What are your views on motorcycle safety?
Article taken form :-Motorcycle-Intelligence.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I think I am A rider who can always learn more than I currently know. I have become more safety conscious since I have been on this forum thats for sure. I do ride with full gear now, maybe not the best quality but what I can afford at this time and still have A feeling of some protection. I will eventually have A good combination of safety and comfort. Part of my safety mindset is being seen and that is why I where Hi-Viz gear and although there may be the occasion that some driver isn't paying attention I have noticed it does work and have been cut off A lot less. Any percentage of being noticed is A plus, Hope I never go down but want to increase my chances of walking away if it does.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 09:12 AM
DBL

I started out riding a minibike in the late '60's when I was 8 years old. Offroad of course and didn't even wear a helmet! My parents didn't realize how fast the thing could go and I fell off a few times trying to follow by older brother who rode a Honda Mini Trail 50. My next bike I started wearing a helmet but didn't add full gear until I got my '04 VStrom in 2005. I figured being on the street all the time it made sense to gear up and have been doing so ever since. I did have a few low speed lay downs on my '78 DT100 back in 1979 but they were minor and my fault, ie. downshifting in a turn and having the rear wheel skid out. OOPS! I have learned a lot in my 40+ years of riding and the one constant is dealing with OTHER drivers! I learned in defensive driving to ALWAYS HAVE AN ESCAPE ROUTE! In other words, when you are riding and scanning ahead for problems, always look for problem drivers and assume they are going to not see you and take action to put yourself where they CAN see you and be ready to change course if something else pops up. We can't predict what everyone will do and I have had some close calls but being prepared with wearing proper gear and having good riding skills will save your butt when the time comes.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 12:32 PM

my general statement about the whole safety thing is this ... you make a pact with the devil when you ride bikes and enjoy all that goes with it. if anyone's concerned to the point they "worry" about safety when they're not actually riding a bike for example, then I;d suggest its not for them.

Bikes are or used to be, reserved for those have a bit of teen spirit, who relished the risk and reward and blamed no one but themselves for anything that might happen in pursuing their choice in life.

There seems to be a whole group of riders who are not so much concerned about enjoying riding the thing between their legs, as they are basically "frightened" by it! Hence the preaching for safety, even for other bikers. - or doing the job of government in other words! which was unheard off years ago. So. like to be safe?, get a bigger, faster bike, and presumably rider faster! as statistically you'll be the safer group - better still, get a car!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 01:04 PM

I wear yellow and bought a yellow bike because I like to be seen.
That helmet Glowcat13 has is the dogs what make is it mines a white shuberth.

Last edited by stephen; 05-23-2010 at 01:14 PM.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 01:08 PM

I don't want to be one of the riders that says I've had a crash. So I like to ride very fast that way if I do have a crash hopefully I won't know it
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 01:14 PM

Is there a spell check here my spelling is crap
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
Is there a spell check here my spelling is crap

Love the honesty!!

As far as I know, only if you use firefox (not sure about safari or any others). For some reason MS explorer doesn't have spell ck.

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 02:37 PM

Laid down my first bike - well of course I did! Cracked a rib. Full body armour now.

Had a woman turn right in front of me (across) locked it up with no fall - now wear neon yellow hi vis jacket (and she was mad at me!)

My wife says I look like the Michellin man when I go out the door -I prefer Iron Man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foo Fighter Rider
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 02:44 PM

Firefox is what I am using
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 03:10 PM

Well, I've seen a lot of bikers that wear tshirts, shorts and no socks. I just shake my head. To put it in perspective, think about this: go out onto your street wearing a pair of shorts and get on your hands and knees. Now, using your full weight on your knees, drag them across the pavement for 10 feet. Hurts, doesn't it? Now imagine your motorcycle pinning you to the ground and skidding for 250 feet at 65 miles per hour. What do you think your leg looks like? Yikes, not pretty in my eyes...
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Firefox is what I am using

When you're typing, if you misspell, it'll be underlined in red. At least that's how it is on mine...

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Rik

Anyone remember the old Video game "Asteroids" ? That was the game where you're in the middle of the screen as "the little triangle thingy" and stuff is being flung at you from everywhere. That is how I set my mind when I get on my bike. Scan constantly and take nothing for granted. It doe not always work, as I've fallen victim to the dreaded left hand turn in front of me by an old lady in a car twice in my life!(both old ladies in green four doors in two different states!)...both bikes totalled and me not feeling so great for a few months. Thier is an element of risk to this motorcycle thing and some scenarios are unavoidable but with some common sense and self awareness of your true abilities you can still feel like Valentino Rossi and return home intact.
Ride safe ride smart and beware of elderly women in green four doors folks!
Rik

08 versys
sans farkles
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote from DBL "I learned in defensive driving to ALWAYS HAVE AN ESCAPE ROUTE! In other words, when you are riding and scanning ahead for problems, always look for problem drivers and assume they are going to not see you and take action to put yourself where they CAN see you and be ready to change course if something else pops up." 100% agree with that and you have not only have escape route planned out but treat every other driver/rider like complete idiots, I have included riders because we have had some bikes go head to head with another bike on blind corners. We get a lot of tourist vans over here that come from countrys that drive on the right hand side and get confused at times but my worst gripe is the one that just stop on corners to take a photo so you really have to be focused in some areas and if you are prepared for that it may save your life as it has mine.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Question please, How do you quote a part of somone's statement? Above there I just cut n paste.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 06:19 PM

How safe is safe?

I spoke to a Harley-riding friend of mine who wears a "DOT approved" skull cap when he rides. He was teasing me about my head to toe Tourmaster/Alpinestars/Shoei gear and how I look like a goon. There is nothing cool about losing a little skin, especially when you think about the time when you nearly washed out the rear end when you hit a little grease in the parking lot... all that gear is cheap by comparison.

My first time I ever rode on the street on my old Magna, a big Ford F350, lifted to the moon, pulled right out in front of me. I had about 5 miles of paved riding under my belt at that point and I just reacted as best I could... brakes, horn and the bird....

You can only choose how you live... the rest is all out of your hands to some degree.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I wear yellow and bought a yellow bike because I like to be seen.
That helmet Glowcat13 has is the dogs what make is it mines a white shuberth.
The helmet is A scorpion exo 700, I think scorpion also makes A hi viz modular exo 900. I was thinking of painting my saturn sl from blue to hi viz cause when people turn out of side streets and parking lots will pull right out in front of me way to often.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...id-Helmet.aspx
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...er-Helmet.aspx

Last edited by glowcat13; 05-23-2010 at 06:31 PM.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Question please, How do you quote a part of somone's statement? Above there I just cut n paste.
hit the "quote" button...( it's there with every entry)....then backspace (erase) the parts you don't want.. be sure to leave the [QUOTE= ] parts intact. There's one at the begining and end of the quote your quoting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 05-23-2010 at 06:30 PM.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
hit the "quote" button...(.
test, yep that works cheers, now go back to watching a movie on a wet cold monday on my day off

Last edited by kiwi 41; 05-23-2010 at 07:10 PM.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 10:12 PM
DBL

Yes, I remember Asteroids and still have an Atari 2600 that still works! Bought it with money from my paper route back in 1979. Now, if only I could figure out how to add a laser cannon to my Versys to blast the bad drivers out of the way and of course it needs the "hyperspace" button as well. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Anyone remember the old Video game "Asteroids" ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode