Comparing the 2015 and 'Gen 1 or 2' Vs - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Comparing the 2015 and 'Gen 1 or 2' Vs

I can't find the post, but somewhere someone stated that the 2015 650 has a different rake and trail than earlier versions, and as I've got one coming I wanted to check.

I checked (MOTORCYCLIST did a comparo of the Wee Strom and 650LT w/ specifications), and the rake is the same at 25 degrees, while trail is .1" less 4.2" as opposed to 4.3"(could be slightly different fork mounting...?), which is ONLY .254 mm, not much really!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
... ***EDIT*** Never mind misread post

'14 Versys 650 (Green)
'14Honda CB500x

Last edited by CanadianFZ6; 07-12-2015 at 05:08 PM.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I can't find the post, but somewhere someone stated that the 2015 650 has a different rake and trail than earlier versions, and as I've got one coming I wanted to check.

I checked (MOTORCYCLIST did a comparo of the Wee Strom and 650LT w/ specifications), and the rake is the same at 25 degrees, while trail is .1" less 4.2" as opposed to 4.3"(could be slightly different fork mounting...?), which is ONLY .254 mm, not much really!
I think we were all eagerly awaiting your continuous reviews to map out the differences in detail. It will be a great information source for future buyers.

Other than a lag in 3rd party vendor support, we want to know of any Achilles Heels that it has. All articles are pretty much foo-foo marketing dribble with little detail at all, compared to your expert viewpoint. I.e. - you are on your own Brother! Take a deep breath and clear your mind.

I'm looking forward to your reviews skipping a minor generation in between (with rubber elastic for vibrations added only, plus a better (type 2) headlight.) There are more questions than answers from the articles I looked at.

I hope you ordered a 2015 manual with your new bike simultaneously!!

Last edited by kawdog; 07-12-2015 at 10:24 PM.

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
...I hope you ordered a 2015 manual with your new bike simultaneously!!
Tried to, but I WILL have one, soon. In the meantime I'll use my 2010 Service Manual, which has worked PDG for BOTH my '08 and '09 Vs....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

When I got it home (93 kms) I changed the oil and filter

The '15 has a NEW sump, w/ the drain plug coming out of the left side, NOT sticking out the bottom, like an 'aroused' rhino...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 09:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
When I got it home (93 kms) I changed the oil and filter

The '15 has a NEW sump, w/ the drain plug coming out of the left side, NOT sticking out the bottom, like an 'aroused' rhino...!

Hey Eddie

Have to ask ...

You have seen an arouse rhino ???
How come/where ?

BTW congrats on the new V !

LOP
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Hey Eddie

Have to ask ...

You have seen an arouse rhino ???
How come/where ?

BTW congrats on the new V !

LOP
On the "NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC" channel.

Notice how the name includes the word... "graphic"...!

Thanks Phil.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Put 270 kms on the "GREEN HORNET TOO" yesterday, carrying a 120 pound passenger. I have NOT changed any of the settings from when I got it, and here are some observations:
1. the ride quality is WAY-Y-Y better than on the 'Gen 1s', I'd say - on a par w/ my change to the R1 shock and ATF in the forks;
2. the mirrors are AT LEAST as good as my Aprilia Tuono mirrors, and might NOT need widening;
3. I've ALREADY raised the front of the seat by 9/16" as on my other Vs;
4. the foot-pegs are lower on the Gen 3, and, SO FAR, I don't think I'll need to lower them;
5. went to add the shorty-levers from the '09 - will NOT work, at least NOT for the brake-lever, as the master-cylinder's slightly changed;
6. filled up after 306 kms, getting 23.6 km/L, or about 66 mpgImperial, 53 mpgUS (engine was broken-in via the Motoman method), and about 60 kms were on dirt;
7. the windshield gives GREAT protection (I'm 5'10", 31" inseam); and
8. I'm reserving judgement on the saddle-bags which LOOK great!

More to come....

onewizard likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
1. the ride quality is WAY-Y-Y better than on the 'Gen 1s', I'd say - on a par w/ my change to the R1 shock and ATF in the forks;
2. the mirrors are AT LEAST as good as my Aprilia Tuono mirrors, and might NOT need widening;
3. I've ALREADY raised the front of the seat by 9/16" as on my other Vs;
4. the foot-pegs are lower on the Gen 3, and, SO FAR, I don't think I'll need to lower them;
5. went to add the shorty-levers from the '09 - will NOT work, at least NOT for the brake-lever, as the master-cylinder's slightly changed;
6. filled up after 306 kms, getting 23.6 km/L, or about 66 mpgImperial, 53 mpgUS (engine was broken-in via the Motoman method), and about 60 kms were on dirt;
7. the windshield gives GREAT protection (I'm 5'10", 31" inseam); and
8. I'm reserving judgement on the saddle-bags which LOOK great!

More to come....

Regarding #1. - started in to replacing the stock shock w/ my R1 shock, but stopped after about an hour. To change the stocker (BECAUSE the hydraulic hose is wrapped around several items, INCLUDING the main wiring harness, the battery-box, the rear brake master...) was NOT possible at that time so I put it back together. NUGGET - that line that goes from the adjuster to the shock IS a hydraulic-line...! GUESS how I know.

Regarding #7. I looked at that structure, figuring... MY GPS could fit there...! So, I took a piece of scrap steel, gently hammered the ends to fit the angle of the mounts, then drilled a hole in EACH end to add mounting bolts, and a 1/4" hole dead-center for the RAM mount

then I "rattle-canned" it gloss black

and attached it (ONCE it dried...) to the top.

There's about 2mm clearance between the head of the bolt and the windscreen.

Then I got busy figuring out how to wire it and the "HEADS-UP" voltage monitor that hadn't been a roaring success riding my D2D trip, plus add my WOLO Bad Boy horn.

The new Vs are NOT home-mechanic friendly! Here's what it looks like once the right-side fairings (there are THREE, all attached together [green, gloss black, flat black], that come off together!).

That 'finned' thing is the voltage regulator, but I was looking for the right-side DRLs

and, once I found them (Kawi is making wires JUST barely long enough, so there's VERY little extra room) I wired to them for my " 'HOT' w/ ignition ON" sources for the GPS and HEADS-UP.

and here it is once the GPS bit was soldered in, along w/ the volt monitor

Then I pulled the left-side fairings OFF (same issues as the right), then looked for a place for the WOLO....

Which luckily I found, and it's MOSTLY not touching anything (- -)

and, OF COURSE, I put a relay into the circuit (thanks WOLO for including wiring diagrams for the relay...!- -)

At THAT point - time for a beer... or THREE...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 07-19-2015 at 07:09 PM.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Regarding #1. - started in to replacing the stock shock w/ my R1 shock, but stopped after about an hour. To change the stocker (BECAUSE the hydraulic hose is wrapped around several items, INCLUDING the main wiring harness, the battery-box, the rear brake master...) was NOT possible at that time so I put it back together. NUGGET - that line that goes from the adjuster to the shock IS a hydraulic-line...! GUESS how I know.

Regarding #7. I looked at that structure, figuring... MY GPS could fit there...! So, I took a piece of scrap steel, gently hammered the ends to fit the angle of the mounts, then drilled a hole in EACH end to add mounting bolts, and a 1/4" hole dead-center for the RAM mount

then I "rattle-canned" it gloss black

and attached it (ONCE it dried...) to the top.

There's about 2mm clearance between the head of the bolt and the windscreen.

Then I got busy figuring out how to wire it and the "HEADS-UP" voltage monitor that hadn't been a roaring success riding my D2D trip, plus add my WOLO Bad Boy horn.

The new Vs are NOT home-mechanic friendly! Here's what it looks like once the right-side fairings (there are THREE, all attached together [green, gloss black, flat black], that come off together!).

That 'finned' thing is the voltage regulator, but I was looking for the right-side DRLs

and, once I found them (Kawi is making wires JUST barely long enough, so there's VERY little extra room) I wired to them for my " 'HOT' w/ ignition ON" sources for the GPS and HEADS-UP.

and here it is once the GPS bit was soldered in, along w/ the volt monitor

Then I pulled the left-side fairings OFF (same issues as the right), then looked for a place for the WOLO....

Which luckily I found, and it's MOSTLY not touching anything (- -)

and, OF COURSE, I put a relay into the circuit (thanks WOLO for including wiring diagrams for the relay...!- -)

At THAT point - time for a beer... or THREE...!

nice... revealed quite some amount of changes compared to previous gens.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 01:11 AM

Garage
Please tell me more about raising the front of the seat. I dont like how mine slopes towards the tank

Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid -John Wayne
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydnyte Son View Post
Please tell me more about raising the front of the seat. I dont like how mine slopes towards the tank
Get two longer bolts (6mm x 45 for me) that hold the rear of the gas tank, plus some washers (I use 12 - six per side), then make a "bridge" piece w/ holes properly spaced for the two bolts

then attach it all to the rear of your gas tank

and slide your seat (the white plastic bit) between the "bridge" piece and the original holder, and check it out!

Add or remove washers for different heights (MINE is about 9/16"). This mod was started back early in '08 by the first V owners (I did my '08 at that time...).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 06-29-2018 at 06:09 PM.
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Today I removed the wheel weights, then added DYNA BEADS (2oz R, 1.5oz F).

Then I checked the alignment of the sprockets and chain - PERFECT!!!

Now, to help KEEP it aligned (I ALWAYS count the number of "flats" as I adjust, and ensure the same number both sides) I took a punch and "dimpled" the flat that was facing out

then turned it THREE "flats" and dimpled THAT flat w/ TWO punches,

followed by setting it back to the single dimple, then tightening it.

Next I made the HEADS-UP voltage display more easily seen, tho', until I'm SURE it's working right, it's just held w/ electricians tape and a zip-tie! That's it just left of the ignition - RED.

Next item was adding wheel stripes, reflective yellow this time. Here they are using my flash....

I also added some 3M SCOTCHGUARD paint protective film up the rear of the gas tank (to protect it from zippers, etc).

BTW - interesting differences between the Gen 1 and Gen 3: removing the battery will reset your clock to 1PM, but it DOES NOT reset your 'Trip A' or 'Trip B' odometers, UNLIKE Gen 1s....

You do NOT have an FI light come on till it's OK to start - now you'll get a generic red light which covers MANY bases IF it comes on, adding a small emblem in the dash to direct you to the cause (ie - a battery, or radiator, or engine, etc).

The speedometer error is different. Gen 1s had about 6.5% error, while, near as I could compare, the Gen 3 error is between 3 and 4% (100 kms/hr on the GPS indicated as 103 or 104 kms/hr on the speedo, so NOW I need to multiply the number of '500 rpm' units by 10.5 to see whether I'm in 6th or not, as opposed to 11 on the Gen 1.

For instance - 5,500 rpm/ 500 = 11, then * 10.5 = 115 kms/hr IF in 6th gear. Looks like for mph it'll be about 6.5, so (SAME example - 11 * 6.5) = 71.5 mph.

Another FWIW - here's the OEM battery from my 650LT. The wire on the - terminal was added so I could pull the battery out. When I re-installed it I put a key-strap under the battery, which makes it a LOT easier to remove the battery in the future'

BTW - having BOTH "OWNERS MANUALS" (the '09 and the '15) I've compared the specifications, and they are MOSTLY identical. I'll do a separate post on those IF anyone wants to know.

cyclejohn likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 07-20-2015 at 05:33 PM.
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

and now for some GRATUITOUS pics of GREEN HORNET TOO...

and high-lighting the Okanagan Valley in BC...

Right now (501 Kms on the ODO...), the oil is draining to be replaced for another 500 kms, THEN Mobil1 15w-50 at 1,000 kms....

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 10:56 PM

Tell us about the miracle ignition system that gives it more hp and torque! Does it feel like more power at low end and top end too? Or is it a new way of measuring both or either?

The Euro bikes use ignition systems a lot, but for some reason, I thought there was an offsetting factor like engine life, complexity, or dependability. Maybe it is free overall power w/o displacement, but Kawasaki is not making a big deal about it if it is. Of course their bread and butter is expensive and expendable crotch rockets, so... maybe it is so with no adverse affects. Still, your dyno-a$$ meter knows the difference after all your Continental miles!

And unlike others who USED to have an earlier Vs. 650, you can always jump on your no. 2 bike for a memory refresher if you forget! I'm sure you like the rubber isolastics on the 2015 (who wouldn't?) but isolating the engine performance may mean some repetition runs (at least 3 each) timed 1/4 miles. It would be interesting as Hell! Publish the run times data and I can analyze it statistically to indicate between bike and same bike variability in runs (although with 3 runs each, you would not have to do standard deviations, confidence intervals, and T-tests, lol)

Last edited by kawdog; 07-20-2015 at 11:11 PM.
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

To "sort-of" answer your questions:
...GH2 is 22 pounds heavier than the GH, so, the extra 'ponies' are probably to pull the extra weight;
...GH2 has ignition advance between 10 BTDC @1,300 rpm to 56 BTDC @5,200, compared w/ the GH... 10 BTDC @ 1,300 TO 33 BTDC @ 5,000, so there MIGHT be extra HP from the extra advance...?

Seat-of-the-pants...? W/ almost 100K miles amongst the three Vs (96,570 MILES to be EXACT...... - -), I love the power delivery, and haven't seen any REAL difference w/ my LT....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 07-21-2015 at 05:33 PM.
post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 07:02 PM

How's the new headlight configuration? Does it light up as well at night?
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
To "sort-of" answer your questions:
...GH2 is 22 pounds heavier than the GH, so, the extra 'ponies' are probably to pull the extra weight;
...GH2 has ignition advance between 10 BTDC @1,300 rpm to 56 BTDC @5,200, compared w/ the GH... 10 BTDC @ 1,300 TO 33 BTDC @ 5,000, so there MIGHT be extra HP from the extra advance...?

Seat-of-the-pants...? W/ almost 100K miles amongst the three Vs (96,570 MILES to be EXACT...... - -), I love the power delivery, and haven't seen any REAL difference w/ my LT....
It would be hard beating the bike of the year for 2 years in a row for 2008 and 2009 wouldn't it?
post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
...Seat-of-the-pants...? W/ almost 100K miles amongst the three Vs (96,570 MILES to be EXACT...... - -), I love the power delivery, and haven't seen any REAL difference w/ my LT....
An update: went for a long ride yesterday, and really concentrated on observing the power-delivery. The '15 is NOT as tolerant as the Gen1 to being in sixth gear below 35 or 40 mph (55 to 60 kms/hr), so I find myself riding one or two gears lower, often. Seems that is the result of the engine being like the Ninja 650's....

On the "THIS IS GREAT!" side - I'm getting EXCEPTIONAL mileage! I always fill to the top of the filler neck (and make sure I'll ride another 30 kms - 18 miles - before I put it onto the stand), as in this pic

and here is how much gas went in

for this many kms.

Did the math: 24.6 km/L = 69.5 mpgImperial = 55.6 mpgUS, and I was riding in a "spirited" fashion...

Then I filled up again on the way home. This time I got 25.6 km/L = 72.2 mpgImp = 57.8 mpgUS.

For a NEW bike, that's PDG in my books!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz33 View Post
How's the new headlight configuration? Does it light up as well at night?
Have NOT ridden after dark yet....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Odometer accuracy...

On yesterday's ride I thought I would compare the odometer to my GPS over a fairly long ride, so I 'zeroed' the GPS and 'Trip B' odos. At the 200 km mark here's the results:

so the odometer OVER-reads by .5%, give-or-take a little, and the speedo UNDER reads in the 3 to 4% range, so you can reduce the mileages I showed in the post above this, by half a %.... 72.2 becoming 71.8....

My BIG RED '08 usually gives me about 50 to 55 mpgUS, so the '15 IS better.

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode