2009 vs 2010 Versys, anybody ride both? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2009 vs 2010 Versys, anybody ride both?

New to the forum and currently a Harley rider.

Looking for a 2nd bike and really like the Versys and I can get a new leftover 09 for about $5700.00. However, I like the styling changes on the 2010 plus the other improvements Kawi has made like the rubber mounting on the rear of the motor.

I test rode the 09 yesterday and liked it, but I want to know if anyone has ridden both and can tell me if there's much of a difference.

Quite a big difference in money and I'm wondering if it's worth the extra $$ for the 10.
Any opinions?? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 09:29 PM

Well, I live in Rochester. We have 3 main dealers. I bought the only 1 that the first dealer had, they will probably not receive another this year. I later checked the other 2 dealers, 1 in Henrietta, the other in Canandaigua. They did not get any. S, 2010's are a lot more rare than 2009's. The main difference is the engine and foot peg rubber mounts. So, 2010 is supposed to be a little smoother. The big pain in the butt for me is there are still not many accessories available for the 2010's. Because they are not as plentiful, some companies may completely forego making 2010 specific accessories. The '09's are dropping in price all the time. I also like the more customizable windshield on the earlier models. If I could do it again, I might just save $2k and go with the '09.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 04:25 AM

I bought a 2010 because of the changes and the old models resale will not be as good as the obsolete model. I did consider a very nice tango orange but the discount was not enough to persuade me.
The 2010 is finished better with more styling the rubber mounts after riding a 2010 are what I want as most of my riding is around the 80 MPH range and the engine has a very strong twin throb which I can see why the reviews say the 2009 is vibby.

Plus if you looking to buy new buy the latest model with the current updates unless the obsolete is so cheap its a no brainer.
The 2010 felt more comfortable as well with the slightly softer suspension.
and with 0% payments the monthly was negliable

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 05:39 AM
DBL

I bought my '10 a month ago and looked at it and an '09 model and liked the '10 better. I also found this forum and after reading about the changes between models, I decided to pay more and get the '10. Only drawback is finding accessories as mentioned above but that should change soon. A new windshield should be available in a couple of weeks from California Scientific. They already show it on their website but it's just a prototype and when I called they said to check back in 2 weeks. Givi has windshields and trunk/mounts but they cost more than I want to pay. I already have a trunk but $150+ for just the mount seems a little high for what looks like less than $50 in pieces of metal. I can probably make my own for a lot less.

Here is a link to California Scientific: http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Versysprod.html
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
I bought a 2010 because of the changes and the old models resale will not be as good as the obsolete model. I did consider a very nice tango orange but the discount was not enough to persuade me.
The 2010 is finished better with more styling the rubber mounts after riding a 2010 are what I want as most of my riding is around the 80 MPH range and the engine has a very strong twin throb which I can see why the reviews say the 2009 is vibby.

Plus if you looking to buy new buy the latest model with the current updates unless the obsolete is so cheap its a no brainer.
The 2010 felt more comfortable as well with the slightly softer suspension.
and with 0% payments the monthly was negliable
Did you say "obsolete" ????? Well then can you look in a mirror and say "douche bag "

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 01:26 PM

Sorry dont know where the obsolete came from but bad choice of words
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Its ok we all have our brain fart moments

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 01:53 PM

While not having experience riding a 2010, I was in your same situation. I bought a green 2009 at a great price. I don't find vibration to be an issue other than a wiggly left mirror which probably is as much a mirror design flaw as anything. I had an 03 Sportster and that had some vibration!

I wasn't a fan of the all black 2010 as well as the slight Batmobile/BMWesque twist. It probably looks better in the sun with the contrast of the matte tank. I actually prefer the unique look of the 2009 because the front supposedly was designed to resemble the cowl of a Mitsubishi Zero WWII fighter. (I'm a huge aircraft buff!)

Now if the 2010 came in yellow like the Euro version, I would have had a lot harder time making up my mind! I say buy what you like the looks of best. No motorcycle is ever an investment unless you keep it in the crate for 40 years.

- Zac
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 03:11 PM

Now if I could have got a green 09 I would have had it over the 2010 just for the colour
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.
Since I currently ride an 03 Sportster (last year of the rigid mounted engine), vibrations at higher rpms is nothing new to me. When I took a test ride on the 09 Versys the other day, I wound it up to about 70 with no bothersome vibes.
If I had my choice and money wasn't an issue I'd probably opt for the black 2010 (I love black motorcycles) but at difference of close to 2 grand, I can live with the blue or green.
Funny thing, the last time I bought a car I ended up buying a white one. Not because I like white cars, in fact I had a hard time convincing myself I would be OK with it. But the deak was too good to pass up so I bought it, and now I'm a fan of the blanco-mobiles.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV76X View Post
I actually prefer the unique look of the 2009 because the front supposedly was designed to resemble the cowl of a Mitsubishi Zero WWII fighter. (I'm a huge aircraft buff!)
Yeah... the 2010 is more of an F-117 Nighthawk

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~

Last edited by Hardware; 05-22-2010 at 10:31 PM.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
if thats the case where can we mount the guns
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
if thats the case where can we mount the guns
No guns on a F-117. Itís called a ďStealth FighterĒ but itís actually a bomber (although I donít see why it couldnít be fitted with IR Heat-Seeking missiles)

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
now mr computer guy I have a 08 so talking about the zero
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 11:03 PM

Hey, Iím only Mr. Computer Guy during work... after hours Iím Mr. Wannabe Fighter Pilot

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Jags View Post
Thanks for the input.
Since I currently ride an 03 Sportster...
Forget the vibration issue (or non-issue). Compared to all Harley's I have ridden, the Versys (regardless of year) has no vibrations to speak off.

Gustavo

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 03:18 AM

The only discount I could get was 1000 but they also dicounted the new 2010 500 the difference was only 500.

To me this is not enough to deter me frombuying the 2010.

The 2010 looks better (not by Much) has better lines and felt a lot more comfortable so to me it was not just a vibration issue.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

I can get the 09 for about $5700.00 + tax compared to $7600.00 for 10. Pretty big difference!
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 01:08 PM

Looking at all of the members bikes and the colours I'm thinking I should have gone 09.
Not too sure about the black tank on the 2010 in yellow the 09 all one colour looks better.
But 2010's must retain thier resale value better.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Jags View Post
I can get the 09 for about $5700.00 + tax compared to $7600.00 for 10. Pretty big difference!
If you're willing to travel to Ohio, you can get an 09 for about $5,000 + tax.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode