lifting the front wheel - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
lifting the front wheel

im just curious as to everyone's solution for lifting up the front wheel on the versys for maintenance. I have a stand that I can use with a 7/16 steel rod through the front axle to lift the front up, but it wont work if I need to remove the front wheel. if I needed to do that, I would probably hang the bike by the bars.

a couple pics of the stand I use

I bought this stand at harbor freight for $25 and it works good for what I need so far. it has plates that lift from under the rear swingarm, and if I take them out, I can lift the front with a 7/16 rod as shown.

in the pictures, im washing the rims so I can apply my tapeworks rim tape in metallic blue.

Thunder Blue 2013 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 04:20 PM

I've lifted the bike up from the bars before, but I have a padock stand that I use that has pads for under the fork legs for taking the front wheel off. I believe they have those at HF too. If not you can get one pretty cheap online. The best are the ones that lift up from the lower triple tree.

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 05:05 PM

Garage
I have T-Rex stands. Spools in the back, and the triple tree style for the front.
http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=105

Very secure when on the stands. I am a big guy, and have total confidence climbing on when its on the stands.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 08:33 PM

Just grab a big hand full and punch it...Oh not that way?

I have the T-Rex pit stands as well and the tripe tree front lift. It's lifted every bike's front end BUT the KLR due to the high front fender blocking the head tube. The KLR gets the Sear's Motorcycle jack and I just lift the whole bike with it!

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i would life from the triple tree not the bars...

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Nice looking rig you have, Thunderblue!

Thus far, mine gets strung up like a Japanese piņata. Nice havin a solid overhead beam. But since it's mostly back together now (test flew it today) it's probably in my near future to get one of those dandy front-stand lifts like you guys got. I got the aluminum one from Harbor Freight for the back, and I am quite amazed at the quality for not much moola.

Insert shameless piņata image:

My time in this shop is dwindling, maybe 6 months left. Then?

I dunno. I will be working on my bikes in a Wal Mart parking lot.

Last edited by unstable_rider; 07-10-2015 at 10:12 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 11:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I have the T-Rex pit stands as well and the tripe tree front lift. It's lifted every bike's front end BUT the KLR due to the high front fender blocking the head tube. The KLR gets the Sear's Motorcycle jack and I just lift the whole bike with it!
You mean like this?

I do not know how a KLR attaches its front fender to the bike, but you may be able to make it work....

I have a Acrebis Supermoto fender.
This picture is looking at the top of the fender, which attaches to the underside of the triple trees.

The 4 small holes are used for zipties. I have the zipties going over the bottom triple tree to secure it. Initially I tried using a hole saw to gain access to the head tube, but I struggled to get it lined up. So I used a dremil, and cut a really large hole in the top section of the fender.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 09:01 AM

Look on ebay. Search front stand. I bought a Venom brand front stand for $39 that includes shipping. It lifts by the bottom of the forks to remove the front wheel and works well. Use it with the rear already supported on your HF rear stand. There is also a conversion to make it lift from the steering head.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
You mean like this?

I do not know how a KLR attaches its front fender to the bike, but you may be able to make it work....

I have a Acrebis Supermoto fender.
This picture is looking at the top of the fender, which attaches to the underside of the triple trees.

The 4 small holes are used for zipties. I have the zipties going over the bottom triple tree to secure it. Initially I tried using a hole saw to gain access to the head tube, but I struggled to get it lined up. So I used a dremil, and cut a really large hole in the top section of the fender.
The Sears jack work just fine for the KLR as it lifts from under the motor on the frame. I don't want to cut any holes in the fenders on the KLR as it does go off road and a bunch of mud pack bearings are low down on my fun list to deal with.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I would be quite leery of lifting the front WITHOUT first lifting the back-end....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Dang, a good point..... stability, yes!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I would be quite leery of lifting the front WITHOUT first lifting the back-end....
its not the most stable thing to do, but I accomplished what I need to do without damaging the bike.

you just gave me a thought though!

why hasn't anyone tried to make a permanent rear stand couple with a mud guard? the idea would be to have the stand mount directly to the spool mounting location, and when not in use, fold up as a rear mud guard.

it would have to have folding out riggers to stabilize the bike when the stand is in use, as a 20" wide piece of steel over the back wheel would not look to good, or be very safe, or practical.

on second though, thats just a bunch of ugly weight to throw over the back wheel. just thinking out loud.

Thunder Blue 2013 Versys
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Wait, I recall that concept from somewhere....

Yes! my scooter in the early 60's. What the heck, it worked well on the back of that.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

LOL, that's the idea, right there!

Thunder Blue 2013 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode