BC road trip in two more sleeps - more than just a ride with friends - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
BC road trip in two more sleeps - more than just a ride with friends

Not sure if this is the appropriate section, if not spank/chastise away....

A little background on how this road trip got started...literally. About 20 years ago I met someone who quickly became a very good friend and over time has become my best friend. He's someone who's welcomed me into his family and over these past 20 years he, his wife and family have become very dear to me. They've seen me at my best and at my worst and their friendship has never wavered. But enough schmaltz for now, back to the bikes.

I never grew up with motorbikes or dirtbikes and prior to meeting him never really had much of an interest but I saw the passion he had for the sport and it rubbed off. Before long I had purchased my first bike (a Yamaha Seca) and quickly fell in love with two wheels. Street led to dirt which is a whole other bag of fun I'd like to get back into (there's something about the smell of two stroke exhaust that immediately puts a smile on my face). I was pretty serious into riding for a while but circumstances had me exit the sport a while back. But that changed this spring when I re-caught the bug and dove back in with both feet.

I had mentioned to my friend this past April I had bought a new bike and was looking forward to some good rides this summer. That quickly led to a discussion about a short 100 mile section of nice twisty highway that my friend and his wife had wanted to ride. Well, I took that 100 mile stretch of highway and built a six day road trip around it. And that road trip starts this Thursday.

To say I've been looking forward to this is an understatement. I haven't had a a true vacation in five or so years and being 200 miles away from my friends I don't get to see them as often as I like. So this is like a triple whammy of goodness. Get to spend six days with some great friends, get to put some miles on my new bike and all in some of the most beautiful country you could imagine. Here's a snapshot of the ride (the trip runs clockwise starting/ending in Calgary)...

Its a fairly relaxed pace running about 250 miles/day. I've got some stops along the way I'd like to check out having worked there or had family who've lived in the area but other than that its about the kinship of riding with some amazing friends and enjoying the ride more than the destination.

For anyone who's interested I've created a youtube channel that will be pictures & video from the upcoming trip. If you're so inclined to give it a view that would be great.

Thanks for readuing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 04:05 AM

Lucky bugger!

Marvin,

Enjoy the ride. There is nothing like a good ride with good friends to blow away the cobwebs and getting rid of all the angst/pressure/**** that is part of day to day life. You will come back feeling like a new man.

My only advice - don't over plan the trip. Just let it happen the way it needs to happen.

The best trips I've done are where I've had a general idea of where I wanted to go and a date when I had to be back home. The specifics of routes and lodging were worked out on a daily basis.

Keep us informed of how you go.

BruceC
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 11:11 AM

Sounds like a great trip! I like the idea of ~250 miles/day. Plenty of time to enjoy the ride, see some sights and not be in a rush. I often do 300-400 miles a day on those kinds of trips and on days when I wanted a little extra time to hike or sight see, it can start to feel rushed.

I'm totally looking forward to a little road trip myself...

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Marvin - STRONGLY suggest that you contact me in the area for a GREAT road between Kelowna and Vernon (maybe I can be your guide) - I'll PM my phone #.

Also, from Vernon take Hwy 6 east to the Needles Ferry, then N thru Nakusp to the Galena Bay Ferry, and up BC 23 to Revelstoke. You WILL be glad you did!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
That looks like awesome fun! I'll be in your area on Saturday hopefully looking at some luggage and racks... safe travels!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
There are a lot of forest fires in BC. You might be forced to make a few route changes. See map here>

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Int...886/story.html
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Riding & weather have been awesome. Little haze from the forest fires, around 30deg C/86deg F all day, highways have been quite.

A few pics from day 1

Southwest of Calgary by Bragg Creek, two summers ago that river flooded to the point it was ~5' above the road surface

Near Longview Alberta

Frank Slide (interesting wiki article if you're not familiar with it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Slide)

Crowsnest Lake, right on the border of Alberta & British Columbia
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 08:35 PM

Good on you! We sometimes forget that life is short. Good rides with good friends get a big +1. Enjoy.

I spent most of my money on bikes, booze and broads. The rest I wasted.

I'd like to have a bad day, just to see what it feels like.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a deserved adventure Marvin,

ride safe!

Pics of the bike pleaz!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Here ya go unstable
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (83.7 KB, 36 views)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

OMG, another lime green one! Looks sharp with the bags + matching trunk.

Dandy rig Marvin. I have a similar windscreen, (the version that fits models of 2008) and am quite pleased with it. My rig is stock red, and is going a shade of green.... but a Subaru color.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
It's the last night of the trip & I've been remiss in posting and photos/videos.....blame it on crappy internet connections, slight change in plans due to my riding buddy having a slight mechanical issue on day 3 (also resulted a change in route) and the consumption of a lot of beers and manhattans in the evenings. My V rode great with about my only complaint being the handlebar vibration. My hands are quite numb and need to figure out a solution.

Non-biking notes. The hotels I picked were fantastic (I've just crashed in a great hotel in Banff, king bed and I'm trying to take up as much real estate as possible). The food awesome, I mean some real top shelf eats. I packed WAY too much stuff. Def need to revisit that for next time.

Tomorrow is a nice relaxed ride back to Calgary and then it's all over......till next time.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
...My V rode great with about my only complaint being the handlebar vibration. My hands are quite numb and need to figure out a solution....
TWO things - are you holding onto your bars w/ a "death-grip"? Or, is the angle 'slightly off' (normally happens IF the bars are 'rotated' down towards you)?

BOTH are relatively easy to fix.

And, BTW - next time maybe post your ride in the MEMBERS RIDES section....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode