How much extra fuel? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How much extra fuel?

looking at some rotopax and wondering how much extra fuel the guys who do long trips travel with.

thankfully the versys tank isn't too small but I spent so many years with a manual switched reserve tank I feel odd not having something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 11:42 AM

None.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 12:16 PM

None.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 12:31 PM

I did James bay Road with 1.5 gallons of extra fuel. I made it to the bay and back to Radisson without using it. I no longer carry extra fuel anywhere

'82 XV920: Soon to be tracker--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--'00 KLR685:adv
--'12 Super Ténéré
--'13 Versys (wifes other bike!)
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

good to know - weight and space that can be used for other things then.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
none..if you get down to 2 dots start keeping your eyes peeled for fuel and youll never have to worry

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

looks like fasteddie uses an additional gallon.

I may still consider a 1 gallon fuel and a 1 gallon water pack.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 02:13 PM

None as well. Unless you're travelling through the Australian outback or Siberian steppes, you're unlikely to ever be in a situation where you really don't have the range. And if you are riding through those places, you've probably picked the wrong bike anyway. Or haven't researched enough.

As long as the roads you ride are even remotely civilised, don't worry about it too much IMO and do what silviefox says. If you see you'll be crossing a desert somewhere, plan ahead instead of relying on an extra gallon in your back.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
Or haven't researched enough.
too much research can interfere with the adventure
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 06:25 PM

Garage
I'd sooner pack bourbon than extra fuel.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 06:28 PM

Garage
None, even when I did an 8000 km trip to the middle of Australia I didn't need to carry extra
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I'd sooner pack bourbon than extra fuel.
In the US, Ethanol is corn squeezin's or moonshine or high rpm race gas. But it burns 25% more fuel than normal unleaded gas (times the largest gas consumer nation in the world.)
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Just make sure the guys you ride with have less range than you.

I always fill up frequently when out West where you might miss a fuel stop , where you should have stopped, could mean trouble.

I stretched it a few times in the California mountains on my klx250s. Not a great feeling.

My Versys Travels:

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 07-07-2015 at 08:43 PM.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
if you had run out the Trans Taiga from the Baie James in either direction, you would have encountered the longest stretch of maintained road without fuel in all of NA. i carried 12L extra fuel for roughly 340 mile range. if you can't find fuel at the end of the Trans Taiga, then you're looking at about 400 miles, good luck.
Absolutely would carry it if I were doing that. Sadly I don't see that trip happening any more, as my James by/adventure buddies already did it!

'82 XV920: Soon to be tracker--

--'00 KLR685:adv
--'12 Super Ténéré
--'13 Versys (wifes other bike!)
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 08:45 PM

One gallon if I'm going to be places I'm not familiar with... But mostly no extra gasoline. I just start looking hard around the 160 mile mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zaZ5txn.jpg (50.9 KB, 44 views)

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 12:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
In the US, Ethanol is corn squeezin's or moonshine or high rpm race gas. But it burns 25% more fuel than normal unleaded gas (times the largest gas consumer nation in the world.)
Good to know I can always run on Woodford in an emergency
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 03:54 AM

Best advice on this thread...

Know how far your bike will travel on a full tank under varying conditions.

Then find out how far to the next fuel. Can't beat this.

I know I can get at least 450km from a tank on a V '15. I'm also pretty sure that if I really had to, I could get close to 600km out of the tank. But it would be a pretty boring ride!

On my bike, when the fuel gauge starts blinking (last bar) I still have best part of 100km left in the tank.

My riding style is most likely different to yours (we are all different). So, work out what you can do on your bike.

FWIW, many long distance riders tend to travel quite slowly - abt 90kph (45mph) for a couple of reasons. Firstly, its more economical. Secondly, you can relax and enjoy the scenery. Obviously if you have time pressures this is different. Fortunately, I don't have those any more. I can highly recommend retirement.

BruceC
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
looks like fasteddie uses an additional gallon....
I 'carry' a 1 gallon container (my stove runs on gasoline...), USUALLY w/ about 2L for the stove, or 40+ kms in an emergency, altho' it WAS full on the Dempster (...till I crashed and bust the container...).

Quote:
...you also better have a very good idea of your range under a variety of conditions, speed, load, headwind, etc.
IF you're following my D2D 2015 ride - my concern was the 412 kms between Dawson and Eagle Plains, as SOMETIMES the road will "suck-up" more fuel than normal. BEST be prepared....

Quote:
...there are countless places in the States where 2 bars of fuel will get you parked on the side of the road.
WHICH leads to a LO-O-ONG walk....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 12:29 PM

Just my own personal experience... Two years ago on a cross country trip I passed up several fuel stops in Trinidad, Colorado because I was only down one bar on my indicator... even though I had traveled far since my last fill up. An hour later I'm in the middle of nowheresville and down way into two bars.... I had no earthly idea if I'd come across a gas station or not. I started thinking about maybe stopping at a ranch or something but those were rare out there where I was, as well. As luck would have I finally ended up in Des Moines, NM with plenty of fuel left in my tank... But that was not the point.

The point is... I spent a couple of hours stressed out... knowing I should have fueled when I could have... worried about getting low on fuel with no visible relief in sight. I wasn't paying attention to the beautiful country I was riding through, nor the big blue sky above me... I was just stressing and missed a good part of my ride and my daY that afternoon.

I now carry a spare 1 gallon of fuel on those type rides.

Word to the wise: Fill up when you know you can if your unsure of what's ahead.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 09:31 PM

My stove runs on gasoline as well, and one of the farkles I have planned in the near future is a couple of tool tubes. I usually only carry 1 bottle of fuel, so that'd be... 1L or so? of extra fuel just to get me out of a jam. Never run out yet, though. I had the FUEL indicator on for my entire 15 mile commute earlier today and still had half a gallon left on my '08. If the fuel tank actually holds 5 gallons completely full, that is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode