Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Riding Posture Opinion

4K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  merios 
#1 · (Edited)
So my wife took some pics of me on the bike today so I could send something to Spencer for a seat mod. My Corbin is about to get thrown in the lake if I have to sit on it one more day. haha!

Anyway, in the pic I noticed I kindof look slouched on the bike.

I have the ProTaper ATV bars and MotoWerks peg lowering kit and stock seat.

Would riser would improve my riding posture ?

Would my riding posture would impact my seat comfort ?

For some reason the image doesn't show up so here's the direct link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/cetzel/Versys?feat=directlink

Any suggestions (besides matching boots - those brown ones are comfortable and don't come in black :D ) ?

#5 ·
Yes, posture will affect your comfort level. Sit on the bike and grasping imaginary bars figure out where you are sitting with better posture and see where you are at. My guess is a bit of a riser and/or different bars would help you.

I'm in the same boat and looking to add a riser and maybe change bars. Seat doesn't get me before my back starts twinging.

#6 ·
i think posture will effect your comfort, but your bars won't effect your posture. it is what it is (unless you go to extremes -- apehanger). you probably slouch at the computer too, no? if you want better posture on the bike, get one of those weird, backless chairs for your desk.

women riders have better posture, men tend to slouch. this is based on casual observation. it's one way i can tell when it's a lady piloting a bike.

jmho.

#7 ·
Standard — the rider sits upright or leans forwards slightly. The feet are below the rider, not too far to the front or back. These are straightforward, versatile motorcycles that are not too specialized for one task, but don't excel in one area either. Standards are used in touring, commuting, and sporting, and are good for beginners. The rider enjoys the benefits of freedom of head movement, good visibility in all directions, and easier use of the feet while moving through stationary traffic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle#Motorcycle_rider_postures

Hope its of some assitance.

:cheers:

#8 ·
Police officers sit upright, back straight. I know they ride 10 hours+ a day, may be that's the way to ride?

#16 ·
The wife is actually sick of hearing me bitch about my Corbin so when she read the email Spencer sent me she told me to get my ass on the bike so she can get a pic to send him with the stock seat. hehe.

Right now she won't ride with me, but I am still very lucky. She doesn't mind the V and she's agreed to let me buy a second bike this fall.

#17 ·
riding posture

hi,
i just checked out your pictures and have a few questions.
you said that you have installed atv handlebars. if so, how much wider are they than stock? what size are they width wise and what is the diameter of the bars? i don't like my narrow bars and am used to trail riding and want to mirror that. i also have a bmw 1200gs and i like that riding posture. did you have enough cable length to install the bars? if not , where did you get longer cables(clutch, throttle, brake, etc.)? if you used the stock cables how much slack did you have. i also have a long arm length as well as a 34+ inseam. would there be enough cable slack if i installed a bar riser(20 mm) or so?
also, you mentioned that you used motowerks peg lowering kit. what is the website for motowerks? i googled it and i could not find it. it is called something else? do the lowered pegs still allow for proper use of rear brake and shifter?

anything you can offer would be helpful

thanks
jeff

#18 ·
The handlebars I used (ProTaper ATV) are same as stock as far as my measurements. I didn't have to modify anything or replace cables. I got them from Cycle Gear. http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=TUC_02-5255_G

This riser: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5089/652/ says no cable mods are needed. I was thinking about getting it.

Motowerk is: http://motowerk.com/kawasakiproducts.aspx and I dig their lowering pegs.

After I lowered the pegs , I did have to lower the shifter but it's super easy. Motowerk gives instructions with pictures you can print out. It took me 20 minutes to do the install and adjustment. My brake lever was a little low from the factory so I didn't have to lower it. It's just fine after the lowering. The kit lowers the pegs 1.3 inches which takes some stress off the crease where your legs meet your butt and reduces stress on your pressure points.

#19 ·
From your picture, you seem to be seated way back
If you feel "crouched" maybe siting closer to the tank would improve your "straightness"
You look like a big guy, right ? (I am !)
And siting to close to the tank is uncomfortable (sometimes it is for me)
But when I reach closer to the tank, the bike and I become one and it's very nice to handle at that moment (not that it ain't otherwise, but let's says more)

Let us know what you end up doing

Ciao

LOP

#20 ·
Yeah I'm 6'2", 230. I ended up putting the stock seat back on and using the Motowerk peg lowering kit. I sit more forward on the seat like you suggested and it is better. After that Corbin, the stock seat even feels comfortable. I can now ride about an hour before I start to get irritated with my numb-butt. I was going to do the Spencer mod and I'm still considering it, but I'm not too eager to jump out and spend any more money on seats. The $440 I spent on the Corbin has put a damper on my experimenting with seats and money. I should have started with Spencer - the cheaper solution - before I graduated to a full custom seat. Lesson learned, really.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.