Motorcycling is Dangerous! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Motorcycling is Dangerous!

My latest vlog entry. Have a look. And please, subscribe, and leave me comments!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez7wXsPdsoY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 03:18 PM

Interesting that you brought this up.

I actually took a look a the fatality statistics. If you start breaking things down, it gets interesting.

National Highway Safety says that you are 26 times more likely to get killed on a bike than in a car. But, if you start breaking down the statistics.......

28% are alcohol related. I never drink and ride.

43% percent are Super Sport bikes with the 29 and younger crowd. I don't need to go insanely fast, hence the Versus.

26% of these happened at night. I don't ride at night. The boogeyman potholes skeer me.

Love the vids so far by the way. Keep it up.

I know that some of these overlap. Point being, if you break down the number, it's nowhere near as bad we're led to believe. And yes, I recognize that we can do everything in our power to be safe and still get laid out like a garage sale because someone was texting.

Now, if you decide to do a bunch of shots and then show your buddies just how fast the 'Busa is, then good luck to you.

2014 Versys 650 in glorious Kawasaki Green
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 04:22 PM

I hear those comments all the time too. I tell them the same thing; so is getting in the ocean water where there are sharks, getting in a lake where there is a larva that eat brains or getting on an airplane. But it's all good, people seem to criticize what they don't understand. Ride safe

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 05:21 PM

I just figure they're jealous that we're out having fun on the twisties, smelling the fresh air and being one with the road and our machines.

Good vid...where's some video of The Snake???

2015 Burnt Orange Versys 1000 LT
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It's a nice video - both narrative and scenery but I'd enjoy it more if I heard fewer repetitions of "you know" and "I don't know.". Hope that doesn't offend; it wasn't meant to.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 07:32 PM
RMS

Well let me look at this,,, Hmmmm
No sholder and lap belts
No front or side air bags
No tall seat with head rest for wip lash
No metal around me to protect me
ect,ect,ect
YEP rideing a motorcycle is kinda UN SAFE,, I just cant figure out why i like it so much !!!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
I just figure they're jealous that we're out having fun on the twisties, smelling the fresh air and being one with the road and our machines.

Good vid...where's some video of The Snake???

Ive got about 3 hours of footage from the snake that I need to edit down. I'll try to get up shortly.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post

I actually took a look a the fatality statistics. If you start breaking things down, it gets interesting.

National Highway Safety says that you are 26 times more likely to get killed on a bike than in a car. But, if you start breaking down the statistics.......

43% percent are Super Sport bikes with the 29 and younger crowd. I don't need to go insanely fast, hence the Versus.

26% of these happened at night. I don't ride at night. The boogeyman potholes skeer me.

I know that some of these overlap. Point being, if you break down the number, it's nowhere near as bad we're led to believe. And yes, I recognize that we can do everything in our power to be safe and still get laid out like a garage sale because someone was texting.

Now, if you decide to do a bunch of shots and then show your buddies just how fast the 'Busa is, then good luck to you.
Very good points all around
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
It's a nice video - both narrative and scenery but I'd enjoy it more if I heard fewer repetitions of "you know" and "I don't know.". Hope that doesn't offend; it wasn't meant to.
Doesn't offend me at all. I don't script my narrative. I get an idea and go for it. That said, sometimes it takes a thought or two in my head to make my next point. I'll try to um, ya know...work on it
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
It is all about risk and minimizing it.

Showers are dangerous, but we minimize the risk by not putting a light switch near the shower, and we put grippy things on the floor of the shower so we don't slip.

Ladders are dangerous if not used properly.

Power tools are dangerous.

Libraries can be dangerous. My son volunteered at one when he was too young to work and ran his toe over with the book cart. Lost his nail and continues to have problems with it 15 years from now.

When cagers ask me about riding and safety, I mention how many serious car wrecks are in the local news and does that keep them from tailgating,talking on the phone, or sliding through the intersection as the light turns red.

Some even tell me that they give motorcyclists extra room, and I say, thank you for not wanting to run over a motorcyclist, but I don't understand why you don't mind running into a car. Shouldn't you be giving cars enough room too?

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
It is all about risk and minimizing it.

Showers are dangerous, but we minimize the risk by not putting a light switch near the shower, and we put grippy things on the floor of the shower so we don't slip.

Ladders are dangerous if not used properly.

Power tools are dangerous.

Libraries can be dangerous. My son volunteered at one when he was too young to work and ran his toe over with the book cart. Lost his nail and continues to have problems with it 15 years from now.

When cagers ask me about riding and safety, I mention how many serious car wrecks are in the local news and does that keep them from tailgating,talking on the phone, or sliding through the intersection as the light turns red.

Some even tell me that they give motorcyclists extra room, and I say, thank you for not wanting to run over a motorcyclist, but I don't understand why you don't mind running into a car. Shouldn't you be giving cars enough room too?
All great points as well.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adurbin View Post
Doesn't offend me at all. I don't script my narrative. I get an idea and go for it. That said, sometimes it takes a thought or two in my head to make my next point. I'll try to um, ya know...work on it
All right! A good sense of humor as well.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 07:23 AM
BKP

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post

One more statistic:
3 times as many fatalities for riders with no helmet...
... I *always* have a lid on...

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode