SW-MOTEC trunk rack dosen't fit right. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
SW-MOTEC trunk rack dosen't fit right.

I just received my trunk rack from Twisted Thorttle for my '09 Versys and had to drill out the mounting holes for it to fit. Otherwise, it just sits on top of the screw holes when you try and put it on. The handrails on the Versys sit down over the mounting holes so I had to drill out the mounting holes on the SW-MOTEC trunk for it to fit right. Everything else is fine, but be aware this problem.

Here is what I sent Twisted Throttle.

I called this morning about this problem which I have since taken care of. I ordered a trunk rack for my 2009 Verysys (exactly like the 2008 model except color) and had to drill out the mountng holes to 9/16" in order to place the rack porperly on the Versys. The mounting holes are too small to mount the rack properly.

The Versys grab rails are counter sunk so the mounting points slide over and down on the screw holes. The Rack you sent me will only sit on top of the screw holes so I had to drill them out to fit or send the rack back to you. I chose to go ahead and drill them out to fit instead of returning it.

This rack might work on the Kawasaki Ninja and ERN but not on the Versys without drilling it out. I hope you correct this problem before you send any more out for the Versys or notify those purchasing it about the problem. I am posting this notice on the Kawasaki Versys forum to alert other riders.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 05-26-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 07:52 PM

I have sw rear rack, from twisted throttle, and I had no fitting issues. Perhaps they mistakenly sent you the wrong model?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:51 PM

I agree, my sw trunk rack fit just fine. I had to make sure i didnt tighten everything down till it was all done, but thats it.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 04:08 PM

According to the comment section on the page for the rack:

What is the difference between Rev 0 and Rev 1?

The Rev 0 rack was designed for the Ninja 650R/ER6F only, while the Rev 1 rack fits both the Ninja 650R/ER6F and the Versys 650.

Is it possible that you received a Rev 0 rack?

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 01:23 PM

Thanks guys, might have saved me. My TT delivery came yesterday and I was looking forward to fitting the rack after work today. I'll do a double check.

DallasDon, looks like the retro-fit went OK, how did you feel about it?

Going by the pics, is this what they changed (Drill out to 9/16" for countersink fit) to get from Rev-0 to Rev-1?

Rob
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 10:50 PM

Don't Do what Don Did!

I arrived home anxious to check my shipment from Twisted Throttle and was relieved to find that my SW Motech Toprack was indeed the Rev-1, intended for Versys, at least that's what the packaging said.
I decided to dive into the project and quickly found what Don did, the mounting holes on the stock grab rails are bigger than those on the Motech Rack rails. I've put together more than one Ikea Kitchen though, and I know that when you're headed for the Table Saw you're getting Ready to do Wrong.
The best course here is to stop the project before you drive it off the rails- it's easy to cut stuff , but a lot harder to un-cut it. Bounce it off somebody else, get another set of eyes on it, something, but do not assume that you're right and they're wrong just because it's not working the way you thought it would. Easy to say, harder to do. I know.
The stock set-up uses Hex Bolts and two-piece washers that clamp down over zinc spacers. These spacers should be removed to allow the Motech rails to be installed with the provided hardware and without the mounting holes being enlarged.
Once you pull these little buggers out of the way, the job's a breeze. The Rack is almost too nice looking to cover with a top box, though I can see how one would be handy...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of P5210015.JPG (29.7 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of P5210016.JPG (31.5 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of P5210020.JPG (32.1 KB, 89 views)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
I arrived home anxious to check my shipment from Twisted Throttle and was relieved to find that my SW Motech Toprack was indeed the Rev-1, intended for Versys, at least that's what the packaging said.
I decided to dive into the project and quickly found what Don did, the mounting holes on the stock grab rails are bigger than those on the Motech Rack rails. I've put together more than one Ikea Kitchen though, and I know that when you're headed for the Table Saw you're getting Ready to do Wrong.
The best course here is to stop the project before you drive it off the rails- it's easy to cut stuff , but a lot harder to un-cut it. Bounce it off somebody else, get another set of eyes on it, something, but do not assume that you're right and they're wrong just because it's not working the way you thought it would. Easy to say, harder to do. I know.
The stock set-up uses Hex Bolts and two-piece washers that clamp down over zinc spacers. These spacers should be removed to allow the Motech rails to be installed with the provided hardware and without the mounting holes being enlarged.
Once you pull these little buggers out of the way, the job's a breeze. The Rack is almost too nice looking to cover with a top box, though I can see how one would be handy...
Thanks for posting this I installed my SW-Motech this evening and removed the spacers as you did. Fit's like a charm and looks great! I was a little surprised at how small (short) the rack is. I'm not sure there's enough room to mount much more than a topcase with it's own baseplate without encroaching on the rear of the seat in the passenger area. Of course that is in comparison to my KLR 650 which had a huge rack in the rear. Also thanks to Capn Kirk for reminding me of this thread

09 Versys
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 07:44 PM

Whoops..I think i just mounted mine right over the spacers. I guess I'll have to go remove them. No problems though.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Versys View Post
I'm not sure there's enough room to mount much more than a topcase with it's own baseplate without encroaching on the rear of the seat in the passenger area....Also thanks to Capn Kirk for reminding me of this thread
1st off, your quite welcome.. I am keeping this thread in mind when I get my rack.

About the short rack. This is what I love about the rack. I will be mounting a quick disconnect Givi Monokey adapter plate onto the SW Motech rack. Then the Topcase clicks into the adapter. With this short or low setup, I think it looks sharp with no adapter or case installed (nekked). I will ride with no topcase most of the time so the rear will look like this. Notice how close to the seat and how it follows the lines of the bike. 2010 SW Motech kit shown.

I'll post some pics during and after the install when I get mine.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
About the short rack. This is what I love about the rack. I will be mounting a quick disconnect Givi Monokey adapter plate onto the SW Motech rack. Then the Topcase clicks into the adapter. With this short or low setup, I think it looks sharp with no adapter or case installed (nekked). I will ride with no topcase most of the time so the rear will look like this. Notice how close to the seat and how it follows the lines of the bike. 2010 SW Motech kit shown.
I agree Capn.. the rack looks great and does follow the lines of the bike very well even in the 2009. I do like this look better than the Givi with the additonal "bulk" of the mounting system. Just wish there was a little more length to mount perhaps a helmet. Now to decide on the topcase???

09 Versys
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Versys View Post
Just wish there was a little more length to mount perhaps a helmet.
SW Motech manufactures a soft luggage adapter plate that clicks onto the rack you have. This will give you a large mounting surface when your case is removed! Says it fits all Alu-Racks...

http://shop.sw-motech.com/lshop,show...103000,,,,.htm

Sorry I cant find a supplier...Bet Twisted Throttle can order them for ya! Just will take 6-8 weeks...Please let me know if you find a supplier, I might pick one up to have more options!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 07:26 PM
cls

Agreed. Problem is, or was, is there enough room for a good sized passenger w/the rack that close to the rear seat. I had an Alu-rack on my Tiger 1050 and it was too close to the seat. Is the same problem there w/the V? I like the looks/design of the Alu-rack better, but it's gotta' be comfy for my wife. I'm wondering if I'd be better off w/the Givi rack for more room to the rear of the seat. Any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode