Idling can cause damage to engine? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Idling can cause damage to engine?

I'm picking up my Versys in a few days and am reading through the manual right now. At one point it says:

Quote:
Do not let the engine idle longer
than five minutes, or engine
overheating and damage may
occur.
So if I'm letting the engine warm up and leave it idling more than five minutes, or am sitting stopped in traffic for more than five minutes, the engine can be damaged?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 12:06 PM

Whoever wrote that material is being overly cautious. You'd have to be in hot enough weather that the idling engine, with fan running, overheated to the point of blowing all coolant out, then continued to run until engine seized from over heating. Not going to happen in five minutes. Even in the most severe heat, would take awhile to go through the cycle I mentioned. And never would happen, if you were watching over the bike. You'd turn it off as soon as some such event started.

I wouldn't leave my ride running and unattended for any length of time. If you need to be somewhere else, I'd turn it off and remove the key before leaving.l
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 12:20 PM

Don't let the engine idle to warm up. Start it up wait 30 seconds or so for the oil pressure to come up and then ride it off keeping the rpm low until the engine is war.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Don't let the engine idle to warm up. Start it up wait 30 seconds or so for the oil pressure to come up and then ride it off keeping the rpm low until the engine is war.
The manual says to let it idle for 2-3 minutes before riding during the break-in period.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00bster View Post
The manual says to let it idle for 2-3 minutes before riding during the break-in period.

Check forums for best break-in methods the manual method is not necessarily the best method.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Don't let the engine idle to warm up. Start it up wait 30 seconds or so for the oil pressure to come up and then ride it off keeping the rpm low until the engine is warm.
X (at LEAST...) 2!!!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 06:35 PM

The best thing about all of this, is that the Versys will do just fine, almost regardless of what you do. Use a little common sense: Start up, let it warm up a couple of minutes, then ride it anyway you like; harder is better than easy, during break-in. Check this Forum for the Motoman break-in process, if you need comfort that a hard break-in is better than an easy break-in. But if you want to do an easy one, your bike will be good anyway.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
they say dont idle to long for a list of reasons

the fuel mapping is lean at low RPMs (causing heat)

the stater is spinning its slowest and putting out its lowest power (draining the power system)

the small radiator is not getting air flow (building heat in the coolant)

exhaust thats wrapped around the motor is heating up (building more heat)

its wasting gas that you can be using to ride and polluting the earth (says the hippies)

its time you could be riding

they want a reason to void warranty so they dont have to repair it

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00bster View Post
I'm picking up my Versys in a few days and am reading through the manual right now. At one point it says:

So if I'm letting the engine warm up and leave it idling more than five minutes, or am sitting stopped in traffic for more than five minutes, the engine can be damaged?

Where are you from? In California, we can go in between traffic. It' usually one Gomer Pyle holding back miles of traffic you'll find from experience.

But yes, that is one of many reasons (Safety is the MOST important from being ran over from behind by multi-taskers) for the law in California. Not splitting lanes in a big city will kill a motorcycle real quick, and everything on it. Maybe the US Congress needs to step in on this one.

Just think about air cooled Harley Davidsons, $$,$$$ down the drain!

I don't know what I'll do when I move from CA. How do you other 48 states get around this? I have split lanes for 41 years in other states too, but I thought it was because I was special

Last edited by kawdog; 07-05-2015 at 09:34 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Where are you from? In California, we can go in between traffic. It' usually one Gomer Pyle holding back miles of traffic you'll find from experience.

But yes, that is one of many reasons (Safety is the MOST important from being ran over from behind by multi-taskers) for the law in California. Not splitting lanes in a big city will kill a motorcycle real quick, and everything on it. Maybe the US Congress needs to step in on this one.

Just think about air cooled Harley Davidsons, $$,$$$ down the drain!

I don't know what I'll do when I move from CA. How do you other 48 states get around this? I have split lanes for 41 years in other states too, but I thought it was because I was special
I'm in central VA in a fairly small town, so traffic isn't usually too bad.

I really wish lane splitting was legal everywhere. From what I've read/heard/seen it really does improve the safety of the motorcyclists and also significantly reduces traffic congestion (if there are a lot of them). I think there should be a law that you can't lane split above something like 25MPH, though.

Unfortunately from what I've read it seems no other state in the U.S. is going to be making lane splitting legal any time soon. Virginia also has some of the toughest driving laws in the nation and cops pass out tickets like a pedophile does candy. It frustrates me because it's clearly about money in VA, not safety (which is the guise they ticket under), which I think is dishonest and dishonorable. But what can you do?...
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 03:23 PM

Is there any such motorcycle (not electric) that can sit and idle like a car engine and really have no danger of overheating? I've wondered that before.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 04:17 PM

I'm more worried about overheating in slow traffic than at start up. I always wait for the idle to come back down after starting before I ride. It takes less time to idle down than it does to put on all my gear.
However, along these lines, I'm wondering about the life span of my antifreeze. I have an 09 with 10K+ miles and the original juice is still in there.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
I'm more worried about overheating in slow traffic than at start up. I always wait for the idle to come back down after starting before I ride. It takes less time to idle down than it does to put on all my gear.
However, along these lines, I'm wondering about the life span of my antifreeze. I have an 09 with 10K+ miles and the original juice is still in there.
Time to change.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 07:19 PM
RMS

I think the manual also call`s for a heaver WT oil in extreme temps, like over 100 F
10 wt 40 for under 100f and 20 wt 50 for over 100f, I tend to be more worried about myslef when in trafic at 100F + air temp.
During the summer here in Texas i will change my oil at no more than 1500 miles
i also ride a bunch of inner city roads with a lot of hot ass cagers
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
A long idle might cause piston scoring. Low oil pressure due to low rpm and cold oil means not enough oil gets out the piston rings onto the cylinder wall. Rich mixture can wash the little bit of oil off, making the problem worse, though in the days of carbs maybe the rich mixture was a bigger problem than today.

Anyhow, I avoid long idles in any vehicle.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
A long idle might cause piston scoring. Low oil pressure due to low rpm and cold oil means not enough oil gets out the piston rings onto the cylinder wall. Rich mixture can wash the little bit of oil off, making the problem worse, though in the days of carbs maybe the rich mixture was a bigger problem than today.

Anyhow, I avoid long idles in any vehicle.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I change my coolant every 2 years....This stuff has worked great in the Versys and FJR.......http://www.motosport.com/motul-motoc...ine-25-coolant

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
...harder is better than easy, during break-in. Check this Forum for the Motoman break-in process, if you need comfort that a hard break-in is better than an easy break-in....
And here it is...

http://mototuneusa.com/thanx.htm

It's what I do...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 03:08 PM

Thanks Weljo, I'll give it shot.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks Weljo, I'll give it shot.

This will help, Just ignore the installiation instructions...Photos toward the bottom....http://www.watt-man.com/uploads/IM_Versys_v1.pdf

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode