helmet protection from expensive to cheaper helmets ? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
helmet protection from expensive to cheaper helmets ?

i'm looking for another helmet just to use on the track, and really rather not spend a ton on one if i don't have to.

is there a difference in protection from the real expensive helmets compared to lesser money helmet if they are both SNELL & DOT approved helmets ?

i'm not looking for all the bells & whistles the more expensive helmets might have, but i don't want to be giving up ANYTHING in head protection in a less expensive helmet.

appreciate any info,
dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 02:43 PM

I am a big fan of saving money when I can, but a helmet is worth spending extra $$$ on. Weight, comfort, etc. I had so many helmets until I spent some money and bought a suomy. I cant wear anything else.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 03:14 PM

If the helmet is both DOT and SNELL approved then the crash worthiness is the same. There are many other features however that can influence safety. Fit is probably the most important. If the helmet is too loose it will not protect properly and heads aren't just smaller or larger they also have different shapes. If a helmet fits too tight in any area that can lead to distraction, always dangerous. A noisy helmet is also a distraction. A better helmet (not necessarily more expensive) will have a distortion free shield that is also more scratch resistant. Better helmets will also generally have better venting, a take out washable liner, be lighter, and have a tool free way of changing shields. It is always wiser to examine a helmet and try it on before purchasing but regrettably dealers don't always stock many difference helmets in all sizes.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 03:23 PM

the fit is all important and what make fits for some people doesn't for others.

also bear in mind some uses specify a rating or grading. in the UK if you want to take your helmet on a trackday or raceday it has to be ACU rated... check with the organisers of the events you are planning on using see what if anything they demand.

better is subjective, safer is subjective. if it meets the organisers demands then its "good" enough. in an ideal world we'd all be riding using super lightweight helmets, the reality is that we run with what we are comfortable with. if you are just starting out on the racing malarkey then it may be better to spread the safety cash a bit wider and get say a good set of leathers rather than overspend on a high ticket helmet.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 03:45 PM

The protection should be very similar between one DOT & Snell helmet to the next. Also, Snell 2010 standards seem better to me than the previous years.
The price difference you see from there will mostly be for weight, paint, brand name, and materials used for the interior.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy View Post
The protection should be very similar between one DOT & Snell helmet to the next. Also, Snell 2010 standards seem better to me than the previous years.
The price difference you see from there will mostly be for weight, paint, brand name, and materials used for the interior.
this is what i was looking for, and what Pegasus said, and for my track it does need a born on date sticker thats under your lining, which my current helmet does not have, like healdem mentioned.

i understand about fit and all the other stuff mentioned.....

thx alot guys for the info, i feel good now about one i was going to buy, which i already got to use on the track.

it meets all the needs you guys listed, but its not very expensive, and i've always believe you get what you pay for.

thx again, dave
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 06:13 PM
naz

dhauch i think you should also read http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=8191
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhauch View Post
i'm looking for another helmet just to use on the track, and really rather not spend a ton on one if i don't have to.

is there a difference in protection from the real expensive helmets compared to lesser money helmet if they are both SNELL & DOT approved helmets ?

i'm not looking for all the bells & whistles the more expensive helmets might have, but i don't want to be giving up ANYTHING in head protection in a less expensive helmet.

appreciate any info,
dave
According to webbikeworld the cheaper helmets with a plastic ABS shell are just as safe if not more safe than the more rigid carbon fiber and composite shells.

What you get for the extra money is a better fit, graphics, better venting, less weight but safety should be the same.

Look for ECE approval or Snell M2010, but not Snell M2005.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode