rear stand - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
rear stand

I was out in the garage and decided I would spray my chain. Looked for the prop for the rear peg so the tire would rotate and noticed my jack stands sitting there. Sooo, I set one under the rider peg hinge and pulled it up to just under it, locked it in place and then set my hydraulic floor jack under the other rider peg hinge; jacked it up until axle is level. Rear tire is half inch of the floor and the bike is super steady. Takes a lot less time than it did to type this and bet most of us have these items on hand; if not, the lot costs less than a track stand and is just as handy. Pretty sure I am not the first to do this but have not seen mention here or other forums so thought it worthy of a post!!

:>)-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 02:36 PM

Nice. The V is my first "street" bike so I wasn't real excited about buying another stand.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 02:51 PM

very nice! Its been mentioned to lift the bike from one peg onto the side stand but I like your approach. Now I'm really going to get after measuring that shock spring

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcctx View Post
I was out in the garage and decided I would spray my chain. Looked for the prop for the rear peg so the tire would rotate and noticed my jack stands sitting there. Sooo, I set one under the rider peg hinge and pulled it up to just under it, locked it in place and then set my hydraulic floor jack under the other rider peg hinge; jacked it up until axle is level. Rear tire is half inch of the floor and the bike is super steady. Takes a lot less time than it did to type this and bet most of us have these items on hand; if not, the lot costs less than a track stand and is just as handy. Pretty sure I am not the first to do this but have not seen mention here or other forums so thought it worthy of a post!!

:>)-
So help me understand this.. You put the jackstand under the driver front foot peg? I never thought of this. Any concern of that much weight being on the foot pegs or is that ok

09 Versys
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
This has been discussed in previous threads, however this is a different version, no assembly required. Less than 1 minute to raise or lower the back wheel.This is 1 1/2 inch aluminum tubing, notched out for the spool, and a slot for the tywrap to insert and hold in place while raising or lowering.
Versys prop stand 001.jpg
7000 KM on the Dunlop, some cupping issues
Versys prop stand 002.jpg

Versys prop stand 003.jpg

Versys prop stand 004.jpg

Last edited by onewizard; 05-17-2010 at 08:33 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Versys View Post
So help me understand this.. You put the jackstand under the driver front foot peg? I never thought of this. Any concern of that much weight being on the foot pegs or is that ok
I am sure the (rider) peg hinges are more than strong enough to lift the bike and, unlike the "kickstand prop" method the bike winds up straight up as opposed to an exaggerated lean. The result is a much more stable position in my opinion; plus you can see the chain better (or anything else on the left side). I have a "prop" stick I made but doubt I will ever use it in the garage again. The prop is still a handy tool to take on the road with you. I looked for another jacking point on the left side so I could use a second jack stand under that side peg hinge but did not see an obvious alternative unless the passenger peg might work?? Dunno, does not look as sturdy to me ??
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Jack in front foot peg and the tube at the opposite back end. Dont look good on the CG balance, Just my thoughts , but if it works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode