I want to be a versys owner but why? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I want to be a versys owner but why?

Hello everyone. I could use some input. Currently I ride a Harley nightster and my history is another Harley 3 cbr's a supermoto race quads and dirtbikes. I'm a experienced rider and love to tour take turns and trail ride. If you know the nightster you'll know the suspension sucks and it handles like ****. It's just a beautiful bike to own and look at. When I stumbles on the versys it seemed like they designed a bike for me. It has a wide range of ways to ride it. I just hate the style of the bike. It's not a nice bike to look at but I want one. I can get a great deal on a 09 and to get the 10 will cost about 2000 more. My first question is the 10 worth the extra money. Second question is, is this bike really that great. What makes it so special and enjoyable to ride. I real mixed rivews. Some say the seat sucks and hurts. Others don't mind. I don't want to get rid of my Harley and not be happy with the versys. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:59 AM

The reviews by the magazines are all positive, the Versys regularly is chosen over the more expensive European models. Check out the video on my link below, it says it all.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 11:11 AM

Keep your Harley AND get a Versys.

Rode 200 miles sunday on the stock seat. It's OK for me.

Hit some real tight twisty roads and keep right up with my buddies, one on an R1 and the other on an R6. Left my other buddy on his speed triple behind. Did some Freeway sections and everything inbetween.

The V rocks. I just don't see how anyone could not like what this bike can do. You'll think it better looking once you ride it.

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 12:10 PM

if you've ever rode a supermoto single for any distance and liked the ride but wished you had more power and a softer seat so you could ride farther then you will love the V. It handles back roads and twisty pavement very well. Its a rare breed of compromise bike where they got it all right. Its still a compromise but its as good as a mass production bike of its kind is ever going to be for 6K
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 12:40 PM

If you look at this from cost, I believe the Versys is the best bang for the buck of any motorcycle. I have tracked cbr1000's, owned yamaha, and BMW Sport touring bikes, and I have owned 1000cc dual sprot bike.
So far...I love my versys. This is a bike I will have in my garage a long time.
FUN,frugal, and sensible.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 12:40 PM

there is nothing easier to fix than a seat. spendy maybe, depending upon how you choose to fix it. but then again, maybe it "ain't broke." only your butt knows.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 12:54 PM

You probably wouldn't like the V...It handles beyond great, almost no effort at the bars...It goes like a raped ape...Gets great mileage (50 av)...All of its parts don't rattle off...Almost no maintenance...Very light as compared to the HD...Comfy riding position...Seat? Dunno about that one, put on a couple of hundred yesterday and no monkey butt ...What else? Oh yeah, you can put all kinds of luggage on her and head off to anywhereville...Nah, you won't like it

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 01:03 PM

I had two Sportsters, a 2003 standard and a 2005 low (my wife's) that probably handled a lot like the Nightster. The suspension on the Sportsters, especially the low, was not much fun. At speeds around 75mph I just always felt like I was pushing the limits of either Sportster. I loved the sound, build quality and heritage of the HDs.

I wanted to do more touring and didn't feel like spending more a on a bike than a car. My brother has a new big twin and I also wanted to be able to keep up with him on the interstate.

I bought a 2009 Versys for a great price and it has so far been perfect for what I spent. I'm not sure if you ride a stock seat on your Nightster. The stock Versys seat is better than any stock HD seat I've been on. Not perfect, but not horrible. I'm adding hard luggage and feel confident I could go anywhere on the Versys. Handling is light years a head of a Sportster. The great thing is I only ended up down about $1000 after selling a Sportster that was five years old to move to the Versys!

- Zac
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 01:56 PM

I've ridden almost every type of bike made. What you come off of isn't nearly as important as what you're getting on when you own a Versys. This bike is comfy, torquey, fuel efficient, nimble, light and quick enough to be entertaining. I am fortunate enough to own several bikes. The Versys gets more play by a significant margin! Great bike - period.

'10 BMW R1200GS Adventure
'11 BMW S1000RR
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 02:18 PM

We need a sticky with all of the threads like this in one place.
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 02:56 PM

and as for the looks....well, I loved it the first time I set eyes on it. It's...different. It's beautiful. It's got...good shoulders; Yes indeed, and folk just keep asking about it. ( and just think, Don't worry about not liking the looks...cuz you'll spend most of your time together riding and not have time to just look and stare at it. LOL)

It's my first BTW. One year of researching everything out there from H-D's to Aprilia's...But when it came time to pull the trigger....There's was only one choice and second choice was miles behind.

I love my first-gen 2009 Versys. (and for my 6'-2", 182 lbs carcass...the seat is perfect.)

It has been a revelation.

Buy the bike.

be well.
ride safe.
Peace.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 05-17-2010 at 03:01 PM.
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 03:13 PM

If you hate the looks and that's most important to you, don't get a Versys or any other bike you feel that way about. There are other choices but none of them does the combination of things I like as well as the Versys. That's just my opinion. If you hate it, you hate it. Get what makes you happy.
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Well let me start by saying thanks for all the positive feed back. I don't think there is an unhappy versys owner out there. Lol. And hate is a strong word. I don't hate the look, it just isn't my taste. If I trade in my sportster it isn't going to be too much out of pocket and I think I'll have a bike that will please me and not the people looking at me. I'm actually very excited and just waiting on some paperwork. Hopefully next week I'll have my verys. I know it's time for a change because the past few weeks I've been driving to work instead of riding. And I always ride in to work. I've been lurking here for a while and think the bike will suit me every need. I just hope i don't get the urge to wheelie. I'm trying to be a mature responsible rider. Lol.
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 04:02 PM

Just got back from my second rally in the last month. Both were put on as Moto Guzzi affairs but anyone who has ever owned a Guzzi attends as it is a GREAT bunch and everyone stays in touch. Of all the bikes at either camp, the Versys (by far) drew the most attention and I answered ?s from the time I got there until I left on Saturday. For an "ugly duckling" it sure gets the attention of folks who want to know all about it.

:>)-
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojoe View Post
I know it's time for a change because the past few weeks I've been driving to work instead of riding. And I always ride in to work.
I think you hit it on the head. I felt exactly the same way about just not wanting to ride the Harley because it seemed like too much trouble, not enough fun; which sounds weird I know. The Versys is totally unlike that, especially when riding distances. Maybe it's still the newness, but whatever it is, I love it.

The only drawback is you might not get as many waves from the HD crowd, but a lot more from everyone else on the road.

- Zac
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well let me start by saying thanks for all the positive feed back. I don't think there is an unhappy versys owner out there. Lol. And hate is a strong word. I don't hate the look, it just isn't my taste. If I trade in my sportster it isn't going to be too much out of pocket and I think I'll have a bike that will please me and not the people looking at me. I'm actually very excited and just waiting on some paperwork. Hopefully next week I'll have my verys. I know it's time for a change because the past few weeks I've been driving to work instead of riding. And I always ride in to work. I've been lurking here for a while and think the bike will suit me every need. I just hope i don't get the urge to wheelie. I'm trying to be a mature responsible rider. Lol.
Maybe you should stick with the sporty then!!

Wheelies are SO tempting. You can feel them coming on. And the little voice, he always dares me & I take him up on it, here & there, when no one is looking (I hope!).

It's a fun bike. If you live anywhere near twisty roads, you'll love the Versys, ugly & all. If your roads are mostly straight, the Versys, although still fun, may not be the bike that satisfies you. My opinion of course.

post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

I'm just outside NYC and potholes play a huge part. Our roads suck. The nightster is ratteling my fillings loose. And I've spent years in parkinglots doing wheelies and scraping tail. I was hoping those days are over. Lol
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 08:57 PM

I've had my Versys for just over a week. More "Nice Bike" comments from non-riders than I ever had with my other bikes. Weird.
As the guys say, the bike works great. Looks great (from the saddle) too!
Rob
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Take a test ride buddy and you will behold the V as the best bike .

post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I can get a great deal on a 09 and to get the 10 will cost about 2000 more. My first question is the 10 worth the extra money. Second question is, is this bike really that great. What makes it so special and enjoyable to ride.
Get the 09 or 08 even if you can. You'll save a bunch of $$ and there is no difference btwn those models and the 10 other than a styling change and rubber motor mounts to reduce vibration. (which isn't an issue at all on my 08) What makes the V so special to ride...I would have to say it's just the pure joy of riding a motorcycle. It's not about the power, it's about the ride. Just make sure to put a 44tooth rear sprocket on!

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode