Transporting Versys in the bed of a pickup? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Transporting Versys in the bed of a pickup?

How feasible would it be to transport a Versys 650 in the bed of a Ram 1500? I've seen a few things about putting a bike in a truck bed, but have never attempted it myself. The tailgate would have to be down, unfortunately.

I'm thinking about getting this ramp: http://www.amazon.com/Raider-BCS-1006-Long-Motorcycle-Ramp/dp/B004UP64E2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

And then two packs of these ratchet tie-downs (for a total of four of them): http://www.amazon.com/Keeper-05723-Heavy-Duty-Motorcycle-Down/dp/B000H6QWWC/ref=pd_bxgy_263_text_y

Amazon shows soft loops as a frequently bought item, but I'm not sure what the point would be: http://www.amazon.com/Tie-Down-Working-Capacity-Factory-Strength/dp/B00HTP8N0I/ref=pd_bxgy_263_text_z

What do you think? Possible to do? Any tips? I'm more than a little nervous about putting a brand new bike in the truck bed with the tailgate down (I'm visualizing the straps coming loose and the bike falling out!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 06:35 PM

The soft loops will help avoid the ratchet strap hooks from ribbing/digging into your chrome, paint, etc. transporting a bike in the bed of a pickup truck is as American as apple pie... just be careful! Two or more people to assist loading and unloading is always a good idea. I wouldn't and have t done it on my own.

Plenty of YouTube videos to help you out: http://youtu.be/2Q2xzhjCa60

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 07-01-2015 at 06:38 PM.
post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 06:52 PM

YES get help certainly if the truck has a slide in bedliner those things are slicker than snot and you don't need a Versys falling on top of you if you lose footing.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 06:57 PM

Been doing it for years . Don't worry you will be fine . I never had a strap come loose. What bike did you end up buying? Most shops have a loading dock and will help you get the bike in the truck. And I'm sure they will be more than happy to make sure it is strapped down right.To unload it see if you can find a little bank that is level with the back of the truck and use it like a ramp. If not just have a couple people help you unload the bike.

Last edited by turn8a; 07-01-2015 at 07:00 PM.
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 07:07 PM

Why?
post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailk View Post
Why?
Why put it in a truck? Two reasons:

1. I'm not sure I can find someone to drive me to the dealer I'm buying from (it's three hours away)

2. The only riding experience I've had is one MSF course to get my license, so I would be a little nervous riding three hours through major cities and on highways to get back home
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 08:22 PM

Garage
if this is just a one time deal don't buy a ramp, uhaul has small utility trailers that will be easier to load and cheaper

i.e.

Destroyem likes this.
post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
ive transported more bikes then i can count in the bed of a truck
i had 3 yes threeeeee sport bikes in the back of a dakoda only need 3 straps for your haul , put the bike in nose first put a strap thru the down tubes on each side (or handle bars) double your strap over and you dont need those stupid loop tihng they rip you off for (that ive heard of failing)and one strap going thru or over the rear tire

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 09:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N00bster View Post
How feasible would it be to transport a Versys 650 in the bed of a Ram 1500? I've seen a few things about putting a bike in a truck bed, but have never attempted it myself. The tailgate would have to be down, unfortunately.

I'm thinking about getting this ramp: http://www.amazon.com/Raider-BCS-100...ct_top?ie=UTF8

And then two packs of these ratchet tie-downs (for a total of four of them): http://www.amazon.com/Keeper-05723-H...xgy_263_text_y

Amazon shows soft loops as a frequently bought item, but I'm not sure what the point would be: http://www.amazon.com/Tie-Down-Worki...xgy_263_text_z

What do you think? Possible to do? Any tips? I'm more than a little nervous about putting a brand new bike in the truck bed with the tailgate down (I'm visualizing the straps coming loose and the bike falling out!).
Hauling bike in the bed of a truck, is scarier, than it is difficult.

Yes you do need ramps. However you will need 2 ramps, 1 for the bike, and one for you to walk up. I do not like the ramp you posted. The ladder rails will make it jerkier for the bike going up and down, vs a solid deck. Also when walking on it, you don't want to fall through the rungs.
I like something like these. They are arched, to prevent you from bottoming out, and a solid deck.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...-ramp--3000-lb

As for strapping the bike down, I prefer to use 5 straps.
-I put a strap hook around the fork tube just above the lower triple tree. These are attached to the front corner of the bed.
-I attach another strap towards the rear attached to the rear trellis. These straps also are attached to the front of the bed pulling forward.
(If one of the four straps pulling forward were to break, you still have 3 making sure it will stay put.)
-I attach the last strap from the rear bed corner, over the seat and to the rear bed corner.(Keeps the bikes rear from bouncing or moving.)
I would prefer a strap like these. The smaller hook will attach to more truck beds. The ones you posted would not be able to attach to my dads Tacoma, and maybe other trucks.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...safe-work-load

Last you need to secure your front wheel with a chock.
I use this chock from Harbor Freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ock-97145.html
I took a piece of plywood about 18" deep and cut it to the width of my truck bed. Attach the wheel chock to the plywood with 4 bolts and your front wheel cant slip on the bed of the truck.(I had a bike fall over on a trailer once, when I didn't have a wheel chock)

First couple times loading the bike definitely have someone thee to help you. After a few times, its easy to load alone. Always park with the truck facing down a hill to reduce the ramp angle, or even better if you have a ditch you can put the truck in.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 09:27 PM

Garage
post #11 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice everyone!

Small change of plans... I found out that the truck I was going to use is no longer available, so I'm hitching a ride with someone who's already going near the dealership I'm buying from and will rent a small U-Haul and drive the bike back in that. Like this:

Where would you guys recommend I run the ratchet straps to/through on the bike?
post #12 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 10:53 PM

the previous picture has a handlebar strap that really do work well for the front when fairings cause tie down point issues, on the back I've used a hole in the rear sprocket straight back or from the passenger peg brackets at an angle depending if you have three or four straps with you

the biggest thing to remember is to release each side slightly and equally when un-doing the straps.

I once saw a newbie untie all the straps on one side with out releasing the tension on the other side of a goldwing in transport, the damage from the truck box was ugly needless to say.......

Last edited by scooter650; 07-01-2015 at 10:58 PM.
post #13 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 11:03 PM

If you use a uhaul like this. please tie the front wheel to front rail so it does not slide to either side, If the wheel it does slide the straps to the handle bars will come loose and the bike will fall over. Or four tie downs pulling at 45 degrees to the bike. the uhauls can be a pain the rails make it hard to get the hooks to stay on the rails. before you start driving pull on the handle bars multiple directions. side to side. try to turn them as well . this will let you know if the bike is secure

Look closely how they ran the tie down. they went under the rail then hooked the hook back on to the strap
if I where to use a uhaul add tw more tie downs from the rear foot pegs and pull back on the bike as well

The little 250 has a nice tie down device made by canyon dancer

Canyon Dancer - Bar Harness II

Last edited by Motojunkee; 07-01-2015 at 11:11 PM.
post #14 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 11:45 PM

Get 4 bed hooks for each corner with just nuts on each side of the bed panel. They work great and 3 tie straps are perfect for any bike, 4 are extra nice.

It's the only REAL way to tie it DOWN with the shocks compressed for the best load in the truck bed. Tying it to anything on the ]side panels is the wrong force direction and you will break things at half the force bed panels can hold in the best force directions (except maybe the uhaul mc trailer with steel rails which is ok to bend, lol, which is really better for short distances by yourself.)

Uhauls are usually $25 a day and you don't have to push it up a 45 degree truck bed, but the trick is to use hills and mounds if possible at each end of the trip. Husky hikers are more convenient but th 8" high uhaul truck is nice by yourself or even a couple of good size guys!

Other than 45 degree inclines or declines with your front wheel sliding with the brake on, you really need another ramp to walk up, even wider; because that first step (UP OR DOWN) while you are balancing your bike, EVEN with 2 people, if you are throttling it up is about 30": talk about getting your breathing right (like working out or pinching a loaf with over 400 lbs dead weight sliding and leaning and you can't stop it by yourself or even 2 people if one is not pulling their share. Those TALL ASS uhaul trucks with ramps have slick ass floors and the ramps with grooves are like ice at the 45 degree angle its at, almost like a pu truck, but higher and with slick floors. But ANY metal ramp is slick at 45 degrees: the angle of repose where friction breaks loose is about 30 degrees!

Good luck, i'd get the freaking 8" high uhaul unless you have 2 big or 3 smaller friends around. It's not fun with a bike sliding on you and no ones around, lol. You can do it but ultimately, you let it roll and slide guiding it the best you can and hope your adrenalin, wheaties, and prayers all kick in together at the same time!

Last edited by kawdog; 07-01-2015 at 11:53 PM.
post #15 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 01:03 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
oh ya always strap the kick stand side first and (if you can)sit or have someone else sitting on the bike and holding the front brake as you strap it down.. also when its time to unload always undo the non-kickstand side first.. ive seen someone make the mistake of doing the kickstand side first and there dirt bike flung over and pinned him to the side of his trailer was really nasty

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #16 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 08:15 AM

Here's the best instruction video on loading with a ramp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeDWQWSySRM

All the best.

Just a "rambler in my Father's world."
post #17 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 08:21 AM

I'll add that when I use a truck or wide trailer, I park with the front wheel up into the left corner so it can't slide and fall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1393[1].jpg (83.0 KB, 156 views)

2014 Valkyrie 1800

Last edited by texrider; 07-02-2015 at 08:32 AM.
post #18 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 08:33 AM

I did not read every post and you weren't clear in your first post but if you're buying this bike, why don't you just insure it and ride it home?
Loading a bike into a pick up truck bed for the first time can be a harrowing experience. Unloading it is worse. Get some experienced help.
If the bike is new...break it in Motoman style.
post #19 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
That inspires confidence.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #20 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 08:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
That inspires confidence.
It's a "what not to do video"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode