Excuse me, what did you say? (Harrisburg to Pittsburgh and back, 5/14-5/16) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Excuse me, what did you say? (Harrisburg to Pittsburgh and back, 5/14-5/16)

This past weekend was my first real weekend trip on the new bike (09 Versys). I was pretty determined that I was going to ride no matter what, as the last few trips I planned didn't happen.

There (Harrisburg to Pittsburgh)

I checked the weather Friday morning and they were calling for chance of thunderstorms in Harrisburg beginning around 2PM (I was leaving at 4PM), and continuing until 9PM. Everywhere west of Harrisburg was calling for the same but ending between 3 and 4PM. I figured I might get a little wet on the way out of town, but should be good once I got a little bit farther west.

I left a little bit later than anticipated (around 4:30) and was fine. I hopped on the PA turnpike to zip over to I-81 and avoid all the rush hour traffic. Everything was fine until I got off the turnpike. Right after the toll booth it began to rain a little. I pulled over put the rain covers on my luggage and continued on. Once on I-81 it began to downpour. I will usually just ride it out but the combination of not being able to see, and lots of lightning had me looking for the closest overpass. As I stood there and dripped off for a few minutes it looked like it was getting brighter then it would rain harder. It did this a few times.

After about 5 minutes cars started pulling in under the overpass too. I thought this was odd, surely it wasn't raining that hard. It was then that a guy in a BMW rolled down his window and said, "There are tornado and hail warnings for this area." Excuse me? I thought that was a good reason to wait it out a bit longer.

Twenty minutes or so passed and cars began to leave. The rain had almost stopped so I figured this was a good clue that all was clear. Traffic wasn't moving very fast though. I got going again, and about a mile down the road, the highway was covered in leaves and branches. Another half mile or so and it looke like it had snowed. There were piles of hail along the highway, and the grass was almost completely white. It was a very surreal experience. I wish I would have had my camera, and been able to snap a few pictures as I rode (didn't want to stop again).

The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful. There seemed to be a thunderstorm at the top of every mountain across the state. Other than seeking shelter from one other storm that had some crazy winds I didn't stop the whole way to Pittsburgh.

Back (Pittsburgh to Harrisburg)

The return trip, by comparison was a breeze. On a Sunday evening I think I passed less than a dozen or so cars on the 70 miles of Route 30 that I travelled. It was very nice. The sunset was also very cool. Bright pink and purple, a stark contrast to the dark clouds that covered the entier sky on the way back. I did leave later than anticiated again, and hopped on the turnpike for the second half of my trip. It was nice riding the back roads, but I wanted to make it home before midnight.

The Versys handled the trip with great ease. Even the highway was completely comfortable. The Versys could cruise all day at 70-75 MPH and be completly fine (I on the other hand would be bored). It travels those speeds with such ease, a couple times I looked down and had to readjust my wrist. I would have had a hard time riding 230 miles non-stop on the 250, but it was relatively easy on the Versys. It is mostly stock with just peg lowering brackets. I have a Mike's Shields Touring demo at home waiting for me, that unfortunately didn't arrive in time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:57 AM

The V is great for those weekend trips like this one.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

You didn't just go on a trip, you had an adventure!!!

Glad you made it ok!!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:44 PM

Life can be an adventure if we wish to make it one. And it seems funny that most rides turn into adventures...

The wife and I headed down to Gettysburg Friday for a camping weekend and like you got a later start than we had wanted. When we were checking in at the campground the lady said there was a storm coming and we best get set up quickly. It wasn't too long after when it hit, we huddled under a small tarp with the bikes and marble size hail started dropping. I said to my wife imagine riding in this? That would hurt.

Some pic's from our trip - http://acarter.smugmug.com/Other/Get...68939648_9Mkib

Mike
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
camaroz1985

Good that you had your ride but very sad no pictures,next time around be prepared with a camera Maybe one day you might want ot show it to friends or your future grand children

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I usually do have it along, but it was in my other bag.

I forgot to mention (at least in this thread) that I spotted another green Verys while out near Pittsburgh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode