Adirondacks - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Adirondacks

Just returned from a 5 day ride on the Versys to the Adirondacks. You could not ask for a better all rounder/touring bike and a better place to ride it. If you have not ridden the Adirondacks you might want to consider adding them to your bucket list if you are within range (North Eastern US or Central/Eastern Canada). The roads are the best I have ever ridden and ideal to test the Versys capabilities. Very tight, twisty, mountainous, tree lined back roads everywhere and scenery to die for. Eg. Route 10. There's also no shortage of graded dirt roads if you want to test your Versys off road on less technical terrain. Then there is Lake Placid, the Aspen of the north east, lots of great places to eat, and great places to camp. Recommend the North Pole camp ground in Wilmington, they also have multi person cabins at low cost. The highlight of the trip was riding to the top of White Face Mountain (elevation 4700ft) and touring the Secret Caverns near Albany. Some pictures from White Face Mountain....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ad1.jpg (75.8 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg ad2.jpg (41.4 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg ad3.jpg (103.5 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg ad5.jpg (43.6 KB, 351 views)

Last edited by twowheels; 06-24-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Very Nice! I second the Adirondacks as a really fun trip if your close. If going up from NJ, it's an added bonus to snake through the Catskills on the way up.

I was up there last month, on a ZR not the Versys since I've only had it a few days, but I can't wait to test the Versys out up there. Seeing your pics makes me wish I could go now! Here's a couple from my ride last month.

My dad and his version of high tech GPS....Wrestling with an Old paper map next to a windy lake :-)

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I found the nicest roads to ride where the less developed back and side roads in the region.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the pics! I vacationed out there in 1976 or so. I can remember the trip, but many details are fading. I'll have to go back.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 08:27 PM

I love riding up rt10, its literally 5 minutes from my house. I've never been up to whiteface though, looks like I need to go!

Thunder Blue 2013 Versys
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I grew up in that area. Been all over the Adirondacks with my family. Route 30 was pretty nice too, if I remember.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 10:06 AM

We took a 500 mile bicycle trip through the Adirondacks 30 years ago, back when we were young and without children. Beautiful country.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 03:39 PM

Awesome man! I'm planning on going to my buddy's cabin up there next month; hopefully with the versys!

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 03:43 PM

How did the V do coming down off of Whiteface Mt.? I was there a few years ago and totally smoked the brakes on my truck on the way down.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 04:58 PM

I didn't even touch the brakes coming down on Versys. 2nd gear and cost....
But I felt the smell of burned brakes from the cars in front on me...
I guess not a lot of people know how to use the engine brake, just put it in D and that's it....
You wouldn't have this problem in Europe, just put it in a low gear.... everybody with a manual gearbox knows that.....

Versys 2015 Green
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
How did the V do coming down off of Whiteface Mt.? I was there a few years ago and totally smoked the brakes on my truck on the way down.
The road up was freshly paved last year. Before that it was full of huge frost heaves. All kinds of signs on the way down to downshift rather than use the brakes. As previous poster said, 2nd gear and coast. The road up the mountain has some fantastic scenery but is not a road to speed on since a fall off the edge will be a ride with gravity vertically downward about a quarter mile or more in places. There is a split to the right on the road up, before the toll both, that is a fantastic ride too, but through the trees, with all kinds of twists and turns. The best roads to ride in the region, and there are lots of them, are not the "routes" and main highways but the paved back roads, especially if you are on a Versys - the kind of roads with endless linked tight corners marked 15, 20 and 25 mph that you can safely do at up to twice the marked speed on the Versys - with no traffic or speed enforcement Just watch out for the occasional deer and brown bear, especially late in the day and around dusk.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-25-2015 at 06:06 PM.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 12:09 AM

Garage
I've had the joy of riding it before the re pave and it was something else. That cutout is nice too. A couple spots along that road looked like they would have been nice spots to stop and go fishing.
E
We've enjoyed searching some of the lesser travelled roads in the park also, but I've found some of them just get smaller and smaller eventually turning to dirt and never coming back out to another main road. On our last trip we rode route 4 along the long skinny Northern section of Lake Sacandaga and it had a section that was a few miles long loaded with twisties and good views. A section definitely worth checking out.

Here's one of those "where did the pavement go" moments
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 08:15 AM
NYG

I've done Whiteface and Mt. Washington on the V--no problem; as previous posters said, 2nd gear and never touch the brakes. Mt. Washington has signs prohibiting both cars with CVT and scooters.

We could keep this thread going forever with good roads; Forest Home Road, just outside of Saranac Lake is worth it--just watch out for gravel on some of the corners.

Mike
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 08:31 AM

Love the "Dacks", ride up that way a lot. Went to Paul Smith's and lived up there for a few years afterwards. I'm in a great spot here. We got the Catskills right to the east and the Adirondacks to the north and lots of great riding in between. Pennsylvania has some great roads too just south of here.

I spent most of my money on bikes, booze and broads. The rest I wasted.

I'd like to have a bad day, just to see what it feels like.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Great post, pics and subject matter to be sure. I have never ridden the Adirondacks, although I owned a couple of their chairs...

Is there a "best time" of the season to go, when the humidity/heat is low?

Someone no doubt will say "December".
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 09:14 PM

Very nice!
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
Great post, pics and subject matter to be sure. I have never ridden the Adirondacks, although I owned a couple of their chairs...

Is there a "best time" of the season to go, when the humidity/heat is low?

Someone no doubt will say "December".
If you can catch the fall foliage there ain't much better. It can be chilly at times but you wont get your face chewed off by blackflies and no see ums like in early summer. I enjoy it most anytime.

I spent most of my money on bikes, booze and broads. The rest I wasted.

I'd like to have a bad day, just to see what it feels like.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberdog View Post
If you can catch the fall foliage there ain't much better. It can be chilly at times but you wont get your face chewed off by blackflies and no see ums like in early summer. I enjoy it most anytime.
That's interesting. I thought every no see um on earth was in Maine -sure seems like it. A Maine friend told me once that no see um's single claim to fame is that they can fly, four abreast, through a screen door! Maine humor.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 08:53 PM

Garage
A few more Adirondacks shots. Technically, Delaware water gap/ Catskills/Adirondacks/St Lawrence Seaway. Took the Versys there last weekend for its first multi day trip. The bike did not disappoint. Well, except for the seat it didn't. Other than that it was a total bLast!

I really enjoy riding up through and around the Adirondacks. Great destination for mid summer trips in this area (NJ) as is way to beat the heat.

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650

Last edited by pkovo; 08-09-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode