Cheap Tires - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Cheap Tires

I've bought package deals from Competition Accessories for years. I happened to get an email today and they had Continental Motion Sport Touring Radial Tires for $156 for both, shipped to my door! I had another $18 bucks in "Comp Cash" which is earned there with every purchase.

If you're not a brand name tire snob, this is a killer deal.

http://www.compacc.com/tires-package-deals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well I for one have never looked down on Contis I think they are good tires and have had them myself before.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I have this. I have about 2300 km and the rear is starting to flat spot. Forecasting about 6000 km or about 3000 miles.

Paid $150 plus shipping last fall on EBay. Fast wearing, not dual compound, and not the greatest wet performance but if you are installing yourself, which will offset the fast wearing nature of the tire, they are still a good value but not a fabulous deal at the price IMO. They are what they are, a no frills, basic product, at a cheap price point in a market dominated by higher tech offerings selling at twice the price.

Continental also make a much more pricy and and higher quality sport touring radial, the Road Attack model, that sell at a similar price point to the Michelin Road Pilot. The Conti Motions though show signs of being built to a lower price although I would not say complete they're junk either, IMO they're still a good tire with adequate handling, I just wouldn't expect the longer longevity or slightly higher performance of a more expensive tire. I would not judge Continental or any other manufacturer solely on one model of tire they produce, they makes lots of different tire models at different price points. I have Continental tires on my car and they are the highest rated tire for my vehicle on Tire Rack's website.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-24-2015 at 10:46 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I have this. I have about 2300km and the rear is starting to flat spot. Expect to get about 6000km or about 3000 miles.

Paid $150 plus shipping last fall on EBay. Fast wearing, not dual compound, and not the greatest wet performance but if you are installing yourself, which will offset the fast wearing nature of the tire, they are still a deal.

Conti also make a much more pricy sport touring radial. These are built to the price.
I had Contis on my FJR before I sold it. Not sure if it was the same model, but it probably was. My dealer had the rear for $140 which I thought was a bargain at the time. I bought the front online for another $100 or so.

I never had any issue with them. Wore like everything else. The FJR was extremely hard on front tires. I think the Conti actually held up better than most in that regard. I had about 6k miles on the rear when I traded it in and it was worn just about to the threads. Never recall having any issues with it in the cold or rain though.

The dual compound thing is nice in theory, but I think it"s more marketing hype than reality. I was shagging tires to the edges loooong before anyone dreampt up dual compounds.

The problem with tires is they give up the ghost with age and heat cycles. So even if the middle wears longer, there's a good chance you'll have lost significant grip on the edges before the middle gives out. Okay for commuting, but if that's the goal, better to just buy some rocks to begin with.

I had a buddy who used to brag about the mileage he got out of some tires he bought for his Pacific Coast. Something like 14k miles out of one and near 20k miles out of the other. One day he was noticing some front end shake and asked me to take it for a ride to see what I thought it was. I hit the front brake hard to see if it was in the steering head and the front tire slid like it was on ice. You can keep my share of the long lasting rocks.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 06:20 PM

If you want cheap but get good tread life Shinko Raven 009s are hard to beat. Check the web for deals but sometimes they are as $135 a set.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 06:36 PM

I can be as cheap as the next guy. BUT I don't cut corners on tires. I may not buy top of the line but I try to stay away from the bottom of the line as well. I've run a few pair of Michelins RP2 and have Bridgestones on the Versys right now. I have a pair of Shinko 705 on the KLR and despite what I and a lot think they are a good tire, I had Michelins T63 before. Even the little Royal Enfield has Avons on it.

Tire are too important to cut corners on better to cut back somewhere else (one less beer?) than tires. BUT there's nothing wrong with a good deal on a good set of tires and we all have to call the ball on what we think of brand and model of tire for our use. All I need is a long life tire that handles great in dry and wet and I feel safe on. Needless to say I end up on the upper end of the scale.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I can be as cheap as the next guy. BUT I don't cut corners on tires. I may not buy top of the line but I try to stay away from the bottom of the line as well. I've run a few pair of Michelins RP2 and have Bridgestones on the Versys right now. I have a pair of Shinko 705 on the KLR and despite what I and a lot think they are a good tire, I had Michelins T63 before. Even the little Royal Enfield has Avons on it.

Tire are too important to cut corners on better to cut back somewhere else (one less beer?) than tires. BUT there's nothing wrong with a good deal on a good set of tires and we all have to call the ball on what we think of brand and model of tire for our use. All I need is a long life tire that handles great in dry and wet and I feel safe on. Needless to say I end up on the upper end of the scale.

Ditto...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Avons used to be junk. I had one that was so out of balance, the tech had to tie an anvil to the rim. Another set I had lost all semblance of grip at about 5k miles. Still plenty of tread, but they slid all over and in the wet they were petrifying. Happened as if someone flipped a switch. Nothing gradual about it.

They seem to make much better stuff these days. They damn near cornered the big tire cruiser market. I had a set of them on a Yami Warrior more recently and they worked great on it.

I never had any experience with Contis prior to the last set on my FJR, but I rode those hard and put them away wet and they never gave me any cause for concern.

I'm a little leery of things made in China. It's a little too deregulated over there for my blood.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
My only nit with contimotion rear tires are that there are not rain groves in the center of the tire to help you gauge when the tires are ready to change. Hit the threads or change to early. Anyones guess.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 12:44 AM

Saddlebag, make sure you have radials on the Deer-Slayer brick! It's not THAT good a deal. Good tires are the best safety feature you can get. If your femur splintered, you may not have been so lucky: you are about the luckiest I ever heard of.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

don't cut corners on tires...
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Saddlebag, make sure you have radials on the Deer-Slayer brick! It's not THAT good a deal. Good tires are the best safety feature you can get. If your femur splintered, you may not have been so lucky: you are about the luckiest I ever heard of.
The Contis are most certainly radials. Hell, I don't think I've run a pair of bias plys since the 80s.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
If you want cheap but get good tread life Shinko Raven 009s are hard to beat. Check the web for deals but sometimes they are as $135 a set.
i put a set of raven's on back in march very impressed so far
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
The Contis are most certainly radials. Hell, I don't think I've run a pair of bias plys since the 80s.
Good, you worry me sometimes. Then that is a good deal if you checked the date stamp. From Rocky Mountain atv, they move so quick at the lowest price generally, that you do not need to worry about it. Motorcycle tires and herbs: it's good to get from a volume moving dealer so you don't worry about getting old ones - Rocky Mountain Atv and iHerbs.com!

Motor Helmets lets me order through them at Rocky Mtn atv, and then charges $30 mount/balance per tire ON the bike. It's not worth busting your knuckles even if you had all the proper tools to bust tires for that little difference considering the time factor too. It's nice living near Fullerton, CA if you own a motorcycle. There is always about 30 perfect bikes sitting behind the store getting something done: first priority is tires though and the ONLY shop priority on Saturdays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode