Versys Questions: - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys Questions:

Hi I hoping someone can offer a bit of advice.

1. Versys is rattling, I cant pin point it, but is sounds like its comming from under the tank on right side. Any write ups on how to fix? Where do they rattle the most? Mine is an 09. I tried cowling and speedo but they didnt seems to stop rattle.

2. Seat. Does you butt ever get used to the seat on long rides?

3. Is the kawasaki luggage worth it? Seems to me i would just strap on a few bags and be good to go. Vs. Spending $500 on bags and another $200 on mounting.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 07:38 PM

I'll give my opinion on #3. I have the Givi luggage which is the same as the Kaw setup. I really don't like it. Although it looks nice, it doesn't seem very functional for my purposes. I use this bike to tour and camp so I need to throw a waterproof bag across the back of the seat which covers the top of the boxes. Since they are top loaders, I really have to remove the bag to get into the boxes. Very inconvenient. I would much rather have some homely pelican boxes that are much more durable and functional.
Just my opinion.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 07:41 PM

what do you consider a long ride?

and I found the Vibration noise on my 09 coming from the plstic piece the wraps around the top of the speedo. I just widged a piece of paper in the corner between that and the windscreen mount.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

my butt aches after about 30 miles on the seat.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 11:10 PM

1. i haven't completely fixed mine yet, but there are plenty of write-ups on the site. one is a sticky note.
2. not likely.
3. nothing wrong with waterproof saddlebags.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 06:48 AM

There are lots of threads about the seat, which some people think is OK and some think is terrible - including me. I reshaped mine, removed the cover and shaped the foam so it is level instead of sloping downwards. I can now ride it for several hours instead of thirty minutes.

You can help make Clem a household name

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

so you simply remove the covering and cut it level with a knife?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:27 AM

If you haven't tried reshaping foam rubber, you better practice on something else first.
Tools required:
Dremel tool
Angle grinder
Electric knife (normal knife will not cut it...pun intended)
sand paper
AND
lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of patience
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:57 AM

1. The best fix for the rattling is the earplugs you should be wearing anyway.
2. I've put thousands of miles on the stock seat. I think most of the people around here were born with a sensitive derriere.
3. I have the Givi luggage and I love it, but if i had it to do over again I might go with the quick release sw motech racks with seahorse cases bolted on.
My brother has that setup on his BMW and it costs half as much and you can take 90% of the rack structure off with a screwdriver in seconds.
http://seahorsecases.com/Merchant2/m..._Code=SE_CASES
http://www.adventuremotorcycleparts....Store_Code=amp
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 11:07 AM

Green or Blue?

I just picked up my Blue one last Saturday, and like most on here, can relate to your points.
The Cowl buzz just started for me yesterday- 6-700 miles in. No tank buzz (yet). How many miles did you have before you heard that?
The seat doesn't seem that bad, though probably haven't ridden more than an hour and a half with out a stop and stretch session. I checked out the seat mod, but it seems like there isn't a lot of foam where I sit, right at the back of the seat. I have an Air Hawk and a Sheepskin seat pad that I may try, though the seat is up-there for me as it is.
I've always run soft luggage on my bikes before. I have the Ortlieb throw-overs from Aero-stich that worked on the TDM. Also a set of the Chase Harper Sport bags that I used on the Bandit. Neither one works on the Versys. The short distance between the start of the pillion seat and the turn signals, as well as the grab handle placement and the lack of a rear rack, or even a spoiler, is what causes it. I ordered the SW Motech set-up, both rear rack hardware and Contour side rack mounts. Also ordered the Givi plx35's though I'm pretty sure I could run either set of soft bags with the additional length and structure added by the racks. Also the signal relocation. Twisted Throttle has a good return policy. If I get it all and it doesn't seem like it'll work I'll only cost me return shipping. No Scratches though!

Rob
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
I've always run soft luggage on my bikes before. I have the Ortlieb throw-overs from Aero-stich that worked on the TDM.... Neither one works on the Versys. The short distance between the start of the pillion seat and the turn signals, as well as the grab handle placement and the lack of a rear rack, or even a spoiler, is what causes it.
i have ortleibs also, but hadn't yet tried them on the V. your post made me wonder, so i went down and mounted them up right quick. they went on with no problems. do you actually throw them over? i place the straps under the saddle (and thru the grab handles). i'll post a pic later.

Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

@Baron650-got mine used with 1100 miles. Buzzed on the test ride.
I also have an air hawk. Hate it and never use it.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 05:11 PM

Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

wow, those are nice. How much?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 05:34 PM

Yeah, they look good. Always went over the seat with the TDM. I'll try mine again.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flienlow View Post

1. Versys is rattling, I cant pin point it, but is sounds like its comming from under the tank on right side. Any write ups on how to fix? Where do they rattle the most? Mine is an 09. I tried cowling and speedo but they didnt seems to stop rattle.

3. Is the kawasaki luggage worth it? Seems to me i would just strap on a few bags and be good to go. Vs. Spending $500 on bags and another $200 on mounting.

Thanks in advance.
1. Only rattling I have is the infamous cowl buzz. It's fairly low-key and intermittent on my 1300 mile machine, though. Adhesive foam tape at the contact points is the accepted fix. Can't help with the tank, however.

2. No. But it seems to bother some less than others. I'm considering sending mine to buttbuffer.com next winter to get a gel insert put in.

3. Yes for me, but I got my V with the cases and Vario screen included for less than MSRP for the bike alone. I think they're great. $700 great... hard to call. If I were going a la carte, I'd order the non-branded stuff. Same mountings with the larger (41L?) cases.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:08 PM

1. No buzz from there but I had the cowl buzz

2. I have a Corbin seat, it is great if you would like to spend that much.

3. I have a Shad sh-40 trunk and firstgear silverstone softbags. They serve me well.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
wow, those are nice. How much?
aerostitch sells them, so brace yourself... looks like they're closing in on 200 bucks. mine are over ten years old, they were less costly back then. otoh, mine are over ten years old and still waterproof, so maybe 200 bucks would be money well spent.

Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 11:21 PM

1. The typical rattle is from around the instruments area. If something is rattling under the tank I'd take it off to see what's loose there. Definitely not typical.

2. You may get used to the seat. It's a lot cheaper to fix it than put up with it and and have to go see a doctor later... Several custom seat options (Sargent, Corbin, Baldwin, etc.) but you can also have it fixed at a local upholstery shop (usually a lot cheaper) or, if you are the DIY type, fix it yourself (really cheap).

3. It depends. What are you going to use it for? I don't like the extra width, so I have just a large topcase (Givi V46 mounted on a SWMotech/Kawasaki rack). For most of my solo trips, that's enough luggage space. If I need extra capacity, I also have a set of those Ortlieb's shown above. Worked for us even on a 5 week long two-up trip. As long as you can keep your riding partner from bringing the kitchen sink, that is...

Gustavo

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Versys rattling. check you cowl , might be lose fit around the plug in area.

Got it done to my liking and comfort-less than USD $50.

Got the V with the Original bags-No complaints.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode