Cowling Buzz and Vibrations on a 2010 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cowling Buzz and Vibrations on a 2010

Are there any 2010 owners with 1000+ miles who can confirm that the 2010 model is free of the buzz and vibes that older models have?
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 05:06 AM
DBL

My '10 is just over 3 weeks old and has just over 900 miles on it. I read about the buzzing on older models but have not noticed any on my bike. I did notice that the speedometer cluster seems to be loose and/or rubber mounted probably by design. My Kawasaki dealer has an '09 in stock so I will compare it to mine. The only vibration I notice on my '10 is in the foot pegs and handlebars right at around 70MPH in the 5500 RPM range. I plan to put on a 44 tooth rear sprocket to remedy that. It's not real bad and nowhere near as bad as my past Dual Sport big single thumpers. Those bikes were horrible at highway speeds IMO.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 05:06 PM

2010 with 950 miles and no bad vibes...

Vendetta
A friend of mine once said: Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 09:36 PM

Given that it now seems the source of the vibes is the instrument cluster, not the fairing as we assumed originally and the cluster is the same, I'm sure you guys will soon be experiencing the some buzzing... Of course, if you wear earplugs, you are not likely to hear it anyway, so it doesn't matter if it vibes or not.

DBL - How is the 44T sprocket solve the vibration issue? The bike will still vibrate at that RPM range, only now you'll be doing a different speed, no...?

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 01:54 AM
DBL

Exactly! With the sprocket change it will lower the RPM for the same speed, so I should be able to cruise at 70MPH without as much vibration. Currently, it feels like the bike resonates at some weird frequency right at 70MPH. After the sprocket change, it should only vibrate like that at a much faster speed which I will avoid unless passing, and we all know how much fun that is on a V!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
DBL - How is the 44T sprocket solve the vibration issue? The bike will still vibrate at that RPM range, only now you'll be doing a different speed, no...?

Gustavo
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 02:49 AM

Happy to help. 1) Look up all the words. Do you know what "grackle" means, for example? 2) Rewrite the poem without line breaks, so it looks like an ordinary paragraph. Then try to read it.

|
|
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 01:45 PM

I had a 2005 Harley Sportster that would buzz and vibrate like Hell at 60mph in 5th gear. The dealer told me to go up to 65mph and it would go away. Sure enough, it did. There was an RMP range that produced a buzz. Anything above or below, it was smooth.

I wonder if 5500 rpm might just be a buzzy range?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 09:48 PM
DBL

I was at the Kawasaki dealer picking up my new license plate and sat on the '09 Versys they still have and noticed the speedometer/tach cluster is mounted very stiff compared to how it is on my '10 so that's probably what causes the buzz that is noticed on the older models. Guess I am glad I waited for the '10 and paid more in doing so. I'm at just over 1000 miles now and did 150 miles running around with some friends that both bought new bikes too. They saw mine and had to "one up" me. LOL! One has a GIANT Triumph 1500cc+ monster and the other one has a Harley with a 1500cc+ engine as well. They joke with me saying some day I will grow up and buy a real motorcycle. HA! If only they knew how much fun they could have on a Versys and at HALF what they paid for their monster machines. Here is a pic of us last Sunday. I am the only one with proper gear too. Oh well . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bikes.jpg (799.8 KB, 146 views)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

DBL,

Thanks for remembering to post back on this thread. Much appreciated.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 11:57 PM
DBL

Sure, no problem. I have not ridden an older V but when sitting on a new '09 it feels like it would vibrate more. The foot pegs are not soft like they are on the '10 and the weird resonance vibration I do get on my '10 around 5500 RPM is very noticeable so I can only imagine how much worse it may be on the older models. I have learned to stay away from 5500 RPM as much as possible and once I get my 44 tooth rear sprocket, I hope to be able to avoid that range even more. I forgot to mention in my last post about my 150 mile ride with my friends last Sunday. I did not get the numbness in my hands like I did when I went on that first long 150 mile pie run ride when the bike was brand spanking new. That trip was mostly non-stop except for gas and that was only because one guy in our group had a small tank. My ride on Sunday was more relaxed and we were not going anywhere in particular and made several stops throughout the day. So, it's safe to say that my V can handle several miles before I notice enough vibration that it makes my hands numb. I'll know more about this once I get a taller windshield and plan to ride from Hutto, TX to Medina, TX for another pie run on May 29th. It's at least 150 miles one way so it will be similar to the other pie run I did last month. I'm also looking at getting a vibration reducing bar riser and better handlebars so with a few more mods, my bike should be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datawiz2012 View Post
DBL,

Thanks for remembering to post back on this thread. Much appreciated.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL View Post
I was at the Kawasaki dealer picking up my new license plate and sat on the '09 Versys they still have and noticed the speedometer/tach cluster is mounted very stiff compared to how it is on my '10 so that's probably what causes the buzz that is noticed on the older models. Guess I am glad I waited for the '10 and paid more in doing so. I'm at just over 1000 miles now and did 150 miles running around with some friends that both bought new bikes too. They saw mine and had to "one up" me. LOL! One has a GIANT Triumph 1500cc+ monster and the other one has a Harley with a 1500cc+ engine as well. They joke with me saying some day I will grow up and buy a real motorcycle. HA! If only they knew how much fun they could have on a Versys and at HALF what they paid for their monster machines. Here is a pic of us last Sunday. I am the only one with proper gear too. Oh well . . .
But they look old and you don't! Tell them you might get something like that when you get old like them!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
DBL That guy on the RED bike, looks like he has got a spare tank in his belly. Good for you to be in full gear
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Here is a pic of us last Sunday. I am the only one with proper gear too. Oh well . . .
Shorts & sneakers... Good grief!

Id guess that theyve never gone down at speed. Once they do... the usual routine is that they either gear up... or they never again saddle up.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 08:39 AM
DBL

Yeah, I have always looked younger than I really am. I got carded when buying alcohol well into my late 30's. Hard to believe I'll be 49 on May 30th. The guy on the red bike, with the spare tank in his belly (HA!), will be 50 in January '11 and the guy with the Harley just turned 49, so he and I are really close in age. Main difference is both of the other guys have grown up kids and I never had any . . . that I know of (DOH!), so I think that kept me young all these years. I am still friends with an ex-girlfriend from 1995 and she now has 3 kids: twin 7 year olds and a 2 year old and she just turned 40 but looks much older and I can see the stress she goes through with the constant screaming and yelling at the kids. I can still remember being a kid and know that yelling does no good but she won't listen to my parenting advice most likely because how could a single guy like me know ANYTHING about that? Anyway, that's another topic for another day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
But they look old and you don't! Tell them you might get something like that when you get old like them!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiseman View Post
I had a 2005 Harley Sportster that would buzz and vibrate like Hell at 60mph in 5th gear. The dealer told me to go up to 65mph and it would go away. Sure enough, it did. There was an RMP range that produced a buzz. Anything above or below, it was smooth.

I wonder if 5500 rpm might just be a buzzy range?

Shoot, the 05 Sporty is smoooooooooooooth. I spent some time on an 86 before I got my 05 Sporty. No comparison.

He was right, 65 plus is the sweet spot.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
They saw mine and had to "one up" me. LOL! One has a GIANT Triumph 1500cc+ monster and the other one has a Harley with a 1500cc+ engine as well. They joke with me saying some day I will grow up and buy a real motorcycle. HA! If only they knew how much fun they could have on a Versys and at HALF what they paid for their monster machines. Here is a pic of us last Sunday. I am the only one with proper gear too. Oh well . . .
I currently own a land yacht (Vulcan 1600 Classic) and I have been looking to drop down in weight and size and either buy a sport tourer or make myself one. My friend, with a Ninja 650, could definitely walk away from me and lets not talk about the corners. On a side note, scraping boards and making sparks can sometimes be fun. Just don't let your wife drive behind you while you are doing it!

I have to wait until I find out where I am moving to so I can figure out what type of bike is going to suit my needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode