Rider height: How short is too short for the Versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rider height: How short is too short for the Versys?

I am going to purchase a Versys next riding season. I am 6ft tall and I did not seem to have any issue when I straddled the bike at the dealership. However, I noticed a post in which a person said they had to get a ninja 650 because the versys was too tall for them (they were 5'9"). I am concerned because my girlfriend is only 5'6" and she will want to ride it from time to time. Will this be an issue? Anyone out there under 6 feet have any trouble with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 01:47 PM

5'11 29inch legs and i'm fine anyone with shorter legs may have a problem.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
My brothers 5'8" and he has no problem with my V. 5'6" might not cut it unless shes all legs. But every girl i ever dated wanted to drive the 1965 Mustang GT i had but that never happened. Girlfriends come and go get the bike for you.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:22 PM

I'm 5' 8" (29" in seam) and I could not flatfoot my 09 Green Versys. Got a thin Gel seat and Speedy's lowering kit. Now I can flat foot it. BTW, I also needed to lower the foot pegs after I lowered the seat.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:41 PM

I'm 5'8" with 30 inseam. Got Speedy's lowering kit and could almost flatfoot.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Don't get me wrong, I am going to get the Versys no matter if she can ride it or not. I am just curious if it would be a problem or not. I let her take my bike all of the time, but next season she will have her own. She is competent enough to trust.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 04:45 PM

Garage
take her to the dealership and let her sit on it and see if its a good fit. a low seat for her might make it possible. just kidding ya about yer girl riding your bike. just last week a cute little blonde came into our studio to book her wedding holding a pink full face and all leathered up. went outside she's riding a gsxr and boyfriend on one next to her. as they drove off you could tell she was the better rider

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 05:01 PM

5'7" with 29" inseam no problem with the low gel seat. I can't flat foot but not in my toes either. 5'6" might be stretch with the standard seat.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsoleteaws View Post
She is competent enough to trust.
our inseams are pretty much irrelevant. the question that matters is "how is her confidence?" flatfooting a bike is not required to operate it safely -- i cannot flatfoot the versys, couldn't flatfoot my old transalp either (i put 60kmi on that bike). if she's competent and confident, she'll be fine, whether she has feet flat or just toes on the ground.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>

Last edited by kevrider; 05-13-2010 at 06:19 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 07:48 PM

I agree with kevrider. I have a 30"inseam and stock seat on my 2010. I cannot flat foot it, but have great footing. My opinion is, if you are sitting on the bike and can push it backwards with good footing and not have your feet slip, then your footing should be fine.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 08:58 PM

I'm also 5'6 with short legs and I can only tip-pie toe it. I can paddle backwards but it takes a lot of effort on my toes so I usually just walk it back. But I don't have any problems riding it and I ride everyday as it's my only vehicle.

How heavy is your gf? You might just need to change the sag so she can get her feet on the ground. My wife is only 5'3 and she can tippie toe it just like me...but she is much lighter and the suspension doesn't sag at all with her. I'd imagine If I set the sag right for her she wouldn't have any problem getting her feet on the ground. That is if the sag can even be set that low.

By the way, that's with stock seat.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
My wife 5'6 and has no problem with V bit of tippy toe but as Kevrider put it 'confidence' is the key aspect on any bike, i 5'8 and it is a tall bike but no problems
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 09:36 PM

I know a lot of riders are not comfortable if they can't flat footed while sitting on the bike.

I am 30" inseam and I tip toe on most my bikes. I never have any problems what so ever riding them, stopping and balancing them.

As long as you can balance the bike fine, you will be okay...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125

Last edited by LAVersys; 05-13-2010 at 09:39 PM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 11:48 PM

Obsoleteaws
At 5’6” and a typical “Squatty Body “ (for a guy). I have ridden many dirt bikes when I could not flat foot at a stop.
However with the Versys, adding the Speedy’s lowering kit adds a huge comfort factor and added safety for me.
Just in case I step down into some loose footing or that occasional oil slick spot, I am now able to touch down with much more confidence.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 01:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLEW View Post
Obsoleteaws
At 5’6” and a typical “Squatty Body “ (for a guy). I have ridden many dirt bikes when I could not flat foot at a stop.
However with the Versys, adding the Speedy’s lowering kit adds a huge comfort factor and added safety for me.
Just in case I step down into some loose footing or that occasional oil slick spot, I am now able to touch down with much more confidence.
http://motowerk.com/Versys.aspx Here's the web-site for the lowering kit he's speaking of.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in