Suggestions for camera and mount? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Suggestions for camera and mount?

Hi all,

Has anyone mounted a camera to their V? If so, what kind and with what kind of mount?

I saw this one online and wasn't sure the best place to mount it on the V. Or if there was something better, or 'made for' the V.

http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php...2&productid=30
HD Motorsports HERO

Thank you,
Axel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 08:23 AM

I have the Go pro mounted to my helmet and it can give you pics like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0112.jpg (143.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0142.jpg (177.6 KB, 47 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxman View Post
I have the Go pro mounted to my helmet and it can give you pics like this
Cool.
Which brings up my main follow up question, can you get just as good pics with it mounted somewhere on the bike?

And how did you mount it to your helmet, using goggles? I don't want to wear goggles. :-)

Thank you for sharing those.

Axel

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 08:27 AM

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t=camera+mount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 08:36 AM

Mine is mounted to the top of my full face helmet and it has no obstruction with the face shield . im going to try mounting it to the bike this summer for a different effect .

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxman View Post
Mine is mounted to the top of my full face helmet and it has no obstruction with the face shield . im going to try mounting it to the bike this summer for a different effect .
Interesting. How about a few mounting details...(using velcro, duck tape, or some other contraption?)
Thanks!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothercannon View Post
I'll look into which is best for clarity of pics (handle bars or tank mount). I would assume the helmet cam has the clearest of them all (if you're ok with a camera on your head). We'll see...

Thanks for the link.

Axel
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 11:34 AM

for me theres several options for cameras
either still video or both (either or) some cameras cando creditable still and video images
within that choice ones with or without remote controls
consider one which can be powered from the bike... not another set of effing batteries

you need to think what you are going to do with the images.. if they are for your consumption on your own PC or on a local network or if they are to be shared eg on Youtube or similar. if 'all' you want to do is post stuff on youtube then bear in mind hi res video consumes around 40mb of space a minute. thats a heck of a lot of data to pump and down the connection.
some of the free easily available editing software can't handle big files.

having said that theres a range of cameras out there. I think Gustavo has just bought an EBAY special paid $10.01 shipped from Hong Kong.... it isn't going to rival Spielberg / Cameron but assuming its the same as has recently become popular on the versys.co.uk site the image quality is fine. or you can pay upwards of $600 for a picture in picture dual camera D1 DVD quality setup, which is used for some of the motor racing coverage used by broadcasters

the fancier kits come with lots of adapters and fittings, including suction cups, clamps and so on. the simpler ones do not.

the camera used for that is a bullet /lipstick camera, mounted on the tank using suction cups (3) connected to a HDVR recorder with remote control. one problem I have found so far is keeping the lens clean from crud thrown from the road from other users.

I find the helmet mounted style to off putting as I tend to move my head constantly scanning for hazards or enjoying the scenery and not looking for hazards. the video results make me feel travel sick

before spending cash decide what you want, decide who realisitically is going to be interested in your bike videos/photos..... most people will tire after the first 15..30 seconds tbh.

Last edited by healdem; 05-13-2010 at 04:01 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 03:29 PM

Here is a thread that discusses how I did video on the Versys.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...4287#post34287

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode