Versys or Multistrada 620? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys or Multistrada 620?

I currently own an EX 650 and am looking to buy a V or a Multistrada 620.
Has anyone who has ridden both bikes like to give an opinion? I am leaning toward the Ducati because it sounds great, has better brakes and has a bit more room. On the other hand, the V is very civil and it draws as many raves
as the Duck. Any bits of wisdom out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 09:45 AM

hi nhcharlie,,, well its the age old question what suits you best, If you choose the 620 you will be getting a excellent bike BUT along with this goes all the ducati probs IE, very expensive parts and servicing, dealers are few and far between that's if you can find a good one. and the sound doesnt make it a good bike plus their not cheap to buy!!!!!!!
the versys is a good bike and will do all what the 620 will (maybe not with the ducati panache ) but its still a very capable machine, plus its cheaper,, parts and servicing should be cheaper and I think there are more kwaka dealers to boot. still the choice is always yours to make. so what ever you choose just enjoy it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks yoyo, that is kind of my line of thinking. I'm just wondering if the Versys has
capable suspension to haul my 220lb carcass around and if the addition of lower footpegs and a seat will make it a 500 mile a day bike. Mind you I turn fifty in Sept!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcharlie View Post
Thanks yoyo, that is kind of my line of thinking. I'm just wondering if the Versys has
capable suspension to haul my 220lb carcass around and if the addition of lower footpegs and a seat will make it a 500 mile a day bike. Mind you I turn fifty in Sept!
It hasn't had any problem with my 235# carcass, even with a pillion aboard! I wouldn't recommend fat chicks though...

As to 500 miles/day, I won't go there until I get the new seat. Mine came with the low seat, and neither my ass nor my 34" inseam like it worth a damn.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 05:18 PM

Get yourself some decals and have a Kawacati or a Ducasaki
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007.JPG (841.3 KB, 218 views)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 09:43 PM

I would have to say Kawasaki just for the cheaper maintenance and better dealer network. The fact that the Versys is a great bike is icing on the cake.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:51 AM

The Multistrada is a very, very nice bike. The motor is revvy for a Ducati but will seem a bit more long-legged in comparison to the Versys. It will also seem a little smoother because the 90-degree angle between cylinders is in better balance than the Versys' 180-degree crank balance. That said, Most Duc motors vibrate if lugged—typically anything below 5000rpm. Between the two, there is not an awfully big difference, but I would have to tip the scales ever-so-slightly to the Ducati motor. Styling and ergonomic valuess you would have to decide for yourself.

The Ducati dealer network is getting bigger all the time. Ducati shops in metro Atlanta offer better service and sales than Kawasaki shops. Parts are generally no more expensive for Ducatis than any Japanese bike, and service is no more expensive or complicated for most Ducs than any equivalent Japanese motorcycle. Every Ducati I have owned was more or less bulletproof: I have seen and heard of bigger problems with other brands than I have for Ducs. Provided they are maintained appropriately and ridden as they were intended, most Ducati motorcycles will provide long, hassle-free service.

I wanted a Multistrada 620, but when I gave the Kawasaki a second, serious look, I bought a Versys. This comes from a confirmed Italian bike fan. 'Nuff said.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 11:04 AM

the big difference would be height, dry clutch and service... Ducati has a dry clutch, and for me I don't like the way they shift. They are also very tall and bulky. I have a 36" inseam and the Ducati is UNCOMFORTABLY tall. The seat is also, wide and flat on the Ducati. Lastly service... I have an old BMW for my collection and know that Ducati often times pairs in dealerships with BMW. SERVICE IS EXPENSIVE! Just buy the Versys! You'll love it, in fact BUY 2 for what the Ducati will cost in the long run! HA
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 03:39 PM

It hauled my 235# butt 300 miles yesterday with no problems...but just like everyone else...the seat it the biggest issue. I don't have as must trouble being pushed forward, but it puts too much pressure in the middle. It needs some side support to spread out the pressure on your arse! It doesn't take much for it to get my big arse to 90.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 04:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to scaryfast777 Send a message via Skype™ to scaryfast777
I would have to say go with the V as well, unless you can deal with the extra maintenance expense involved with the Duc as mentioned many times in the thread. I have a couple of friends that have Ducati's. Ranging from the Monster to the 999 and they seem happy with them. I actually considered a Monster before getting the V, but in the long run, the V is just a better value even though it doesn't have the "italian" flare. In a perfect world I would have a couple of each well known sport, sport touring bikes out there but its just much less of a hassle with the V. I think that we all know the old saying as well: "Ducati.....making mechanics out of riders since.......". You know how it goes. I think that you would be happy with either, given they both have pros and cons but I would strongly recommend the V from a cost stand point.

-Scaryfast777

The Secret To Creativity Is knowing How To Hide Your Sources. -Albert Einstein
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback so far- it's very helpful and shows that the Versys has a
dedicated following! Another factor for the V- I've got aa Arrow slip-on, pcIII, and a Penske shock I could install. ( I'm thinking the shorter shock would be fine as long as the front end is dropped to accomodate.) It seems as though the forks on the Versys are much improved over the 650R- maybe new springs and that's it. The ease of ownership of the Versys is definitely a consideration- valve checks every 6K and belts @12K. The V is looking good!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 07:58 PM
cls

I went V in a heartbeat. It's the best balanced bike I've ever had (And that's a lot.). The extra parts you have to go on it just make the decision that much easier.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDz View Post
It hasn't had any problem with my 235# carcass, even with a pillion aboard! I wouldn't recommend fat chicks though...

LOL!

Ahem, I'm 245 and the suspension is great, I can bring my wife who is around 110 and I swear I don't even feel her. The V is setup stiff! I could really feel her on the old FZ1.

I love my Versys.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 11:37 PM

I currently own a Multistrada 620, and joined this forum to become more informed on the Versys. Last fall, I was on my way to buy a Versys, when I came across a deal on a 2006 Multistrada 620 I simply could not pass up. I will tell you this: the Ducati is a very 'special' bike. The handeling will trump anything from Japan...period. The Desmo sound and motor are to die for, and the Multi 620 gives you little upgrades that the Versys doesn't offer such as: a slipper clutch, Brembo brakes and steel braided brake lines. That being said, the dealer network is growing, but not nearly as good as the Kawasaki network. Service on Ducatis are slightly more expensive, but I've had fewer problems with my Multistrada than I have had with any Jap bike I owned. The engineering of Ducatis is superb, and they are great machines. The biggest drawbacks are 6,000 mile valve adjustments, and timing belts that need to be changed every 12,000 miles or two years. I purchased my Multistrada to see if I could create a teriffic multi-purpose bike that I could commute with, ride for pleasure, tour on, and get over 50 mpg. I have added a full exhaust system, rear hugger, rear LED brake light, rubber footpegs, and hard saddlebags. I am considering getting a Versys to replace it only becasue of the valve adjustmet intervals. I believe the Versys needs a valve adjustment ever 26,000 miles, and has timing chains that never need to be replaced instead of belts. If anyone has ridden both bikes, PLEASE PLEASE comment! I have not been able to find a review that directly compared the Versys against the Multisrada 620. In closing, I will say that if my Multi was stolen tomorrow, I'd be down at my local Kawasaki dealer to buy a Versys. I can only hope that US buyers get ABS and better color options for 2009. We need Atomic Silver, and Black!!!!

Please share your thoughts on these two bikes.....let's keep this thread going!

-Skeezix

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 07:57 AM

Location: North east England about 60 mile from the scottish borders
Here in the uk i went to my local dealer with three bikes in mind triumph tiger honda cbf1000 duke multi 620 , every one in the shop said honda triumph then duke there was a demonstrater for each but the duke was getting discontinued because of emissions which put me off straight away,what to do what to do, had a walk around kawasaki dealer, had never heard of the versys ,one hour on the v had me sold traded in my honda vfr and never looked back..............happy happy happy
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 08:37 AM

I gave up my BMW - paying huge rates for service took the shine off the bike. I paid between $400 and $600 dollars for general service (oil change, tighten the bolts, etc.). My first service on the V was $140 dollars - I called for the 6000 k service and they told me to just change the oil, check the bolts, put gas in and ride it. BMW would have had me in there shop and cranking the cash out of my wallet.

I see a lot of bikes that I'd be interested in but I just can't go down the path of a niche motorcycle again. I'm into motorcycling not riding a cash cow (for the dealership). The V does all that I want and more. I gave up heated grips, abs and belt drive but I'm still happier with my V. Also, my spouse likes riding on the back of the V better than the BMW.

And I have the confidence of finding parts and service at reasonable rates. I slowed my riding on the BMW because I was afraid of having to go back for service. The fun was leaking out of riding and the V has restored my joy of motorcycling. For me, the V is what motorcycling is about. A common sense, reliable, dependable, do-all-machine that provides a wind in your face experience on two wheels. What more can I ask for?
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:32 AM

I agree with Ocean 100%. I just moved into a new house June and didn't have a lot of disposable money to purchase a toy. My heart was set on a Ducati Hypermotard, but I just wanted something I didn't have to worry about. I just hop on and ride. Heck, the oil change only took a few minutes of effort.

If you are into just riding, get the Versys. If you want a Ducati, nothing else will satisfy.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode