What kind of helmet do you ride with on your Versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What kind of helmet do you ride with on your Versys?

I was just wondering what kind of helmet and helmet style you ride with?

I have a Soumy Road that I like but I am thinking about getting a dirt helmet for the versys..

any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 10:07 PM

I have a scorpion exo 700 full face in high viz yellow, I have thought the same thing wondering about A dirt helmet.
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...er-Helmet.aspx

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
I have a shark rsx helmet
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 10:51 PM

I use a Scorpion EXO-1000 full face. ("Snell" approved of course, cuz anything less is just a hunk of plastic on yer head...what price your life!)

It ROCKS! Love the built in sun visor.
(Bet ya couldn't tell my "V" is green! LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010521.JPG (163.7 KB, 132 views)

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 05-12-2010 at 10:54 PM.
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
next helmet will get built in sun visor easier than taking glasses on/off evertime you remove helmet, stagehand what the scorpion worth to buy
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 11:01 PM

KBC VR3.........comfortable and quiet, too bad they stopped making it. On a side note, KBC offers outstanding customer service. I just sent them an email requesting new cheek pads, new visor, new visor ratches both sides and a new nose gaurd. $20 for cheek pads, no charge for the rest.........they rule!!
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 07:17 AM

Shoei X-11
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 07:18 AM

I have a HJC Sy-max 2 flip up for hot days and a Vega V-tune Bluetooth helmet with flip down visor which is my main helmet. I sync my verizon Droid smartphone to it. I have about 8 gb of tunes on it. Love having a soundtrack to my rides.
http://www.vegahelmet.com/v-tune.html

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 07:29 AM

And for those of you that want a cheaper offering LIDL have offers on a flip up helmet with built in visor for 49 euros today!!
post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 07:33 AM

Using a Shoei Multitec.

Here the latest. The first helmet with a rear view. Info by Myred.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 07:38 AM

Thats is seriously cool!
post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 07:42 AM

Shoei X-12 Glory 2

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #14 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 07:50 AM

Arai RX-Q Urban. I've tried other helmets and Arai just fits me. I have an auto helmet from them as well. Light, wide eye ports, lots of venting.

post #15 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 07:57 AM

Shoei RF1000, full face, white.

I am not confident that a motocross helmet gives the level of protection needed for the high speed and hard surfaces of street riding.
But when riding off-road with the Versys, I would probably be just fine with it.
post #16 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 08:03 AM

HJC IS-16 full-face with internal sun visor. I rode once with my shorty helmet from my cruiser days, but the wife said I looked like a dork.

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
post #17 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 08:31 AM

Why do you want to wear a dirt style helmet. I am assuming you mean a motocross helmet? If so let me tell you from experience; motocross helmets are not designed for highway speeds. I'm not talking about strength (although the jury would have to make a judgment on that because you can get DOT motocross helmets) but I'm talking about aerodynamics. I've worn motocross helmets while on my "true" dual sports and the runs on pavement at highway speeds are a pain. The wind catches the visor and chin bar much more than on a street helmet. I will say however, if you are riding a lot of gravel roads the motocross helmet has an advantage because you wear goggles that seal to your face and the goggles keep the dust out of your eyes. Some companies are making a hybrid helmet for super moto that look interesting because they have a smaller visor and are more aerodynamic but most of them use a flip up visor rather than goggles so I see no advantage over a street helmet.

To sum it up, IMO; for mostly street with a little gravel road ~ stay with a street helmet. For mostly gravel roads with a little pavement in between ~ a motocross helmet works but even then, I've gone to using a street helmet. I only use a motocross helmet when I haul the bikes to a purely off road area where I stay off the pavement (and of course that doesn't involve the V).

My toys:
'09 Versys in Cool Lime ~ '06 Harley Roadking
'95 Suzuki DR350S ~ '94 Suzuki DR350S
'09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
'09 Yamaha Superjet ~ '13 Ram 4X4 3500 Cummins
'09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU

Last edited by DennisD; 05-13-2010 at 08:34 AM.
post #18 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 08:33 AM

Shoei Hornet
post #19 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
next helmet will get built in sun visor easier than taking glasses on/off evertime you remove helmet, stagehand what the scorpion worth to buy

They sell for about 300 dollars here in Detroit. (but mine was "free" as part of the sale on the bike. I think my salesman thought I would pick out a plastic lid).

The '1000' is not the only model with the flip shade. (and it is made from a Kevlar laminate..which is another reason why it's kinda pricey).
but i think the '1000' model is the only one that is Snell approved ( I could be wrong on that note).

I used to sell road racing equipment in another life. All we carried were "Snell" approved helmets. (SCCA demands it.) ( I could never understand why DOT standards are so lame).

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 05-13-2010 at 09:18 AM.
post #20 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Hey Kiwi41 the scorpions are well built lots of padding real snug at first then shapes to your head. I bought mine for the inner shade and wanted a modular.No complaints at all about the helmet It's the EXO-900. I put a scala rider 2 for tunes and bluetooth they run $269-$279 i posted the link earlier on this post

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode