gen 3 650 post break-in fuel economy? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
gen 3 650 post break-in fuel economy?

I've seen discussion of 2015 Versys fuel economy by people who just bought them, but nothing about the fuel economy post break-in (which I'd expect to be higher). And I found nothing for the gen 3 Versys 650 on fuelly.com .

Post your post break-in fuel economy numbers. 2015 only please--fuel economy numbers for other models or bikes are encouraged if you're comparing them to the numbers you got with your 2015. V650. V1k is OK too, but please specify.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 12:31 AM
BKP

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
I've seen discussion of 2015 Versys fuel economy by people who just bought them, but nothing about the fuel economy post break-in (which I'd expect to be higher). And I found nothing for the gen 3 Versys 650 on fuelly.com .

Post your post break-in fuel economy numbers. 2015 only please--fuel economy numbers for other models or bikes are encouraged if you're comparing them to the numbers you got with your 2015. V650. V1k is OK too, but please specify.
I'm not sure if ethanol free makes a difference... but, it's all I use (which is why it looks a bit expensive)...
I also use the Motoman break-in on my bikes, so they're broken in by 40 miles or so...

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]

Last edited by BKP; 06-07-2015 at 12:34 AM.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. Wonder if it will continue to creep up a bit. Wish our gas was as cheap as yours.

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 06:34 AM
BKP

Garage
Quote:
Thanks. Wonder if it will continue to creep up a bit. Wish our gas was as cheap as yours.
Cheap? That's all ethanol-free at $3.15-$3.25. About $0.50 to $0.60 more than regular unleaded, around here... Even cheaper a bit further north in South Carolina... But, California is California...

As for the mpg creeping up, I believe it'll come up perhaps a couple of mpg, and then level off (based on previous bikes). It's already in 'gravy' territory based on Fuelly online, however, the warmer weather also helps. It typically drops 1-2 mpg in the dead of winter...
But, yes, I've seen improvements after break-in on most of my bikes. I also typically see the power band improve somewhere around 4-8k...

Ride safe...

Barry
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 07:26 AM

Is there a difference between the 2015 650cc engine and/or drivetrain and Gen2 or earlier models?

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 07:50 AM

I'm starting to see my mileage drop a little as I'm riding the bike harder now that I'm more in the groove with it. I was up around 50 to 52 with a high of 60 but I'm seeing 47 and 48mpg. 2500 miles on it. On the highway if I behave I'm sure I'd get like 52 still.

I spent most of my money on bikes, booze and broads. The rest I wasted.

I'd like to have a bad day, just to see what it feels like.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 11:38 AM
BKP

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
Is there a difference between the 2015 650cc engine and/or drivetrain and Gen2 or earlier models?
They've re-mapped the ECU, and made a couple of subtle changes to the exhaust, which Kawi claims has improved both performance and fuel consumption...

Ride safe...

Barry
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Check fuelly.com for mileage numbers other Versys owners are getting. Be aware however mileage varies greatly with how a vehicle is driven and where it is driven (highway, back roads or city). I track my mileage religiously on Fuelly.com but it is all over the place, from one tank to another, depending where and how I rode my bike. The real value of tracking mileage, IMO, is to see long term trends rather than short term mileage of a single tank of fuel.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKP View Post
They've re-mapped the ECU, and made a couple of subtle changes to the exhaust, which Kawi claims has improved both performance and fuel consumption...

How did you remap your ECU?
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Check fuelly.com for mileage numbers other Versys owners are getting.
It's not there--or it wasn't yesterday.
Quote:
And I found nothing for the gen 3 Versys 650 on fuelly.com .
Even if it was, there would be few miles, few tanks of gas and much of that would be break-in miles with lower fuel economy than you'd expect after break-in. If it were there with lots of miles and many tanks of gas, I'd simply compare it to the fuelly numbers for the older bikes and my questions would be answered.
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
2015 V1K. Pretty much maxed out at 47.4 mpg (per display) on Shell Premium. First tank was about 39 mpg, so break in made quite a difference.

Last tank was BP Premium and mileage decreased a bit to 47.0 mpg. Such a small change could be temperature or riding variance, but I have noticed over the years that I seem to get a little better mileage from Shell fuels.

One nice thing about the BP station is the Premium has its own hose so you are getting more of what you're paying for, though 93 is a little overkill anyway.
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKP View Post
Cheap? That's all ethanol-free at $3.15-$3.25. About $0.50 to $0.60 more than regular unleaded, around here... Even cheaper a bit further north in South Carolina... But, California is California....
Just so you don't feel TOO bad - up here in Kanuckistan (BC, to be exact), gas went from $1.109/L to $124.9/L OVERNIGHT about a week back.

That amounts to an increase of 52.9 cents Cdn/ US gallon, or about 42.3 cents US... OVERNIGHT! (That's about $3.78US/ gallon.)

Would you in the USA put up w/ something like that...?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 06:06 PM
BKP

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
How did you remap your ECU?
I didn't. Kawasaki did (on the 2015s).

Ride safe...

Barry
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 06:14 PM
BKP

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Just so you don't feel TOO bad - up here in Kanuckistan (BC, to be exact), gas went from $1.109/L to $124.9/L OVERNIGHT about a week back.

That amounts to an increase of 52.9 cents Cdn/ US gallon, or about 42.3 cents US... OVERNIGHT! (That's about $3.78US/ gallon.)

We saw big jumps in the last month or two as well. And, we *were* at $4.00/US gallon, and above, for a while, a couple of years ago. Now (in the US, anyway), the temporary rise is attributable to a few factors. However, thanks to fracking, which pushed US into the top spot for global producers (despite efforts by this administration to kill fracking, and then taking credit for lower prices), weak European economies which reduces demand, OPECs refusal to cut production, etc., gas (in the US) will be coming back down again after seasonal rises. Our friends up north seem to follow the US trends here...

Ride safe...

Barry
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Some of our local stations charge more than that for low grade. For the station closest to my house, mid grade is less top grade is more. Our fluctuations may be less though.

The reasons for our high prices must be transportation costs. It would take me all of 40 minutes to get to the nearest two refineries. If I rode my bicycle. There's another that's about 1/2hr away by motorcycle.
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
$124.9/L OVERNIGHT about a week back.
One hundred twenty four point nine Canadian Dollars per liter is indeed a lot to pay for fuel!
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
One hundred twenty four point nine Canadian Dollars per liter is indeed a lot to pay for fuel!
I think fast eddie's fingers blew past the decimal point.
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 06:56 PM

Garage
I have about 300 miles on my 650LT and I am see an average of 42MPG so far. I hope that goes up.
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:

As a fellow Kanuckistan, I don't plan on traveling west at those prices Ed

OK I had to do that, decimal MISPLACED
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 08:30 PM
BKP

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyork70 View Post
I have about 300 miles on my 650LT and I am see an average of 42MPG so far. I hope that goes up.
If you're using your speedo's AVG MPG display, don't. While mine's been steadily going up, it's still well below what Fuelly reports (which, if you fill up to the same spot each time, such as the bottom of the neck of the filler tube, is very accurate).
Your speedo makes assumptions it can't possibly reconcile, such as tire pressure, ambient temperature, etc. Fuelly doesn't need those parameters. It works with the actual volume of gas replaced, and the actual distance traveled (your speedo is off a few percent, however your odo is dead on).

Ride safe...

Barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode