Shifting issues - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
4vX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Shifting issues

I'm new to cycling and not sure what to expect from my V's tranny. It has just over 1K miles and will frequently stop in neutral when I'm attempting to shift from 1st to 2nd gear. Also, I've experience the inability to change gears when at a complete stop and shifting to neutral for shutdown. Any similiar issues out there? Not sure if I should contact the dealer or get shifting instructions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 11:10 PM

Not sure specific to the Versys as I am still an owner in waiting, but it sounds like a dual issue:

1. It's not even close to broken in yet, and the second problem of shifting to neutral to shut down is a common thing i have seen in almost every new bike I have had. Give it some time and a few scheduled maintenances and that should smooth out.

2. The shift from first to second and it stopping in neutral, in my opinion, could be a dual-issue. Maybe a mix of the tranny needing to be broken in combined with a clutch/cable/lever adjustment combined with your adjusting your shifting action...maybe not putting enough into the shift action in the low gears. Most newer riders have problems with smooth/accurate shifting at the low gears.

IMHO
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 11:15 PM

only down shifting

when my bike is hot during a long run I have had a little diffiulty down shifting while stopped or coming to a stop. I'll wait to see if it gets worse as I have had similar issues with many other bikes.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
4vX

Bigtex1974,
Thanks for the reply. You're correct, it's not even close to being broke-in. I'll stop worrying and keep ridin'. Also, I find that if I put a little more pressure on the shift lever from 1st to 2nd, the neutral stop is overcome. Again, maybe another break-in issue. Thanks for the words.
4vX
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
4vX

motojunkie,
I'm sorry to say I'm glad it's not just me. Maybe one of those things everyone has experienced but not often enough to cause mention.
4vX
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 12:10 AM

Hitting neutral when shifting from 1st to 2nd happens to the best of us from time to time. Try adjusting the shift lever downward a bit so you don't have to lift your toe as far when shifting. You can always put it back to the original position if it doesn't feel comfortable. Also, make sure your clutch is adjusted properly. If the clutch is not completely disengaged it can make finding neutral somewhat difficult.

You shouldn't have a problem finding neutral when shifting from 1st when the bike is at a standstill. It's not suppose to shift into 2nd in that situation.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
4vX

Until you mentioned it, I didn't notice you could change the shift lever angle. I'll make an adjustment. Thanks!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 09:25 AM

I took me a week or so to get used to the Versys gear box, but now it's like butter...as long as I remember to reset the ratchet after up shifting. Also, check your clutch lever/cable tension.

http://forums.kawasakiversys.com/showthread.php?t=800

Missing second happens to the best of us once in a while. Kawasaki has some funky neutral finder that seems to make going down through the gears difficult if you come to a stop in say 5th or 6th gear. Just remember to click down as you're slowing down. If you are stopped in a higher gear, let the clutch lever out just a hair, enough to put pressure on the gears and you should be able to click down back to 1st.

Luke
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 02:11 PM

I had the same problem. You may consider adjusting the shifting levers travel. Just unscrew the lock nuts and work it with your hands and test for the right fit.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 07:30 PM

Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vX View Post
I'm new to cycling and not sure what to expect from my V's tranny. It has just over 1K miles and will frequently stop in neutral when I'm attempting to shift from 1st to 2nd gear. Also, I've experience the inability to change gears when at a complete stop and shifting to neutral for shutdown. Any similiar issues out there? Not sure if I should contact the dealer or get shifting instructions.
Just want to see if I understand.It seems as though you are saying that you come to a stop without downshifting through the gears while working toward the stop.Is this correct?I personally always do and always have downshifted on the way to a stop,and usually never get to first,but hit neutral from second just a couple of seconds pre stop.I cannot imagine why one would hold the clutch in and work to a stop only then to start working down through the gears.Please ,if I am missing something here forgive my thick headed condition. Cheers............Lefty.

Last edited by haw paw; 07-19-2008 at 08:39 PM.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 08:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to scaryfast777 Send a message via Skype™ to scaryfast777
Hey there,
I have experienced the same issue as mentioned in the thread. I now have around 2500 miles on my versys and the issue with getting stuck in neutral has pretty much vanished. The brand new versys has a very tight gear box and it seems to break in as you ride it more. If you get stuck in neutral at a stop again, give the bike a couple of small revs while trying to shift and the bike should just fall into gear (1st in most cases). To add as a note, I switched to Amsoil full synthetic at around 1000 miles and that is primarily when I noticed that the shifting issue was gone. So if you are still running the break in oil that could be playing a big part in the problem.
Cheers!

-Scaryfast777

The Secret To Creativity Is knowing How To Hide Your Sources. -Albert Einstein

Last edited by scaryfast777; 07-20-2008 at 03:44 PM.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 07:00 AM

This is my first bike and I have had similar tranny issues so I don't know what to expect, but the one that bugs me the most it that it is harder to get into 3rd than any other gear. I usually have to hit it twice to get it to go into 3rd. I don't have this problem with any other gear.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
This is my first bike and I have had similar tranny issues so I don't know what to expect, but the one that bugs me the most it that it is harder to get into 3rd than any other gear. I usually have to hit it twice to get it to go into 3rd. I don't have this problem with any other gear.

How many miles have you got? I've also found mine has gotten much better/smoother since new.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:01 AM

Not only is shifting down to the lower gears as you are slowing down to a stop easier, you should make it a point to always be a gear that you can accelerate in should the need arise. If you wait until you are almost stopped to start downshifting, it not only is more difficult, but you may not be able to get out of the way if needed.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:03 AM

1700...300 yesterday! Really sore butt by the time I got home.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 01:22 PM

Both "issues" are related to riding technique. You need to give the shift lever a firmer pressure when shifting, it'll go all the way from 1st to 2nd without stopping in neutral. Firm pressure on the lever will also result in smoother shifts to other gars. Also, sequential boxes have a hard time shifting several gears up or down without any movement, so if you happen to come to a full stop in, say, 5th gear, you'll be able to shift down maybe twice before you can't engage the next gear. To engage 2nd and 1st, release the clutch a bit until you feel the bike start moving, then engage it again and shift don to 2nd and 1st.

Gustavo
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:11 PM

Higher quality oil will improve the shifting. Try an Ester-based synthetic oil at your next change and see if things don't improve.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:40 PM

Yeah, I'm at 1500 miles, no worries. The shifting is fine now, but was a pain when new from time to time. It'll work itself out 4vX.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
4vX

I moved the shift lever lower and used synthetic. I'm happy with both changes. Rate of occurrence is down.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 06:06 AM

I think I figured mine out too. It appears that between some shifts the shift lever is sitting on my foot so that it isn't returning to the resting position so it isn't ready for another shift. If I make sure that the lever is not on my foot it appears to shift fine. I am going to move it up a little bit and see if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode