650 Longevity / Repair Miles - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
650 Longevity / Repair Miles

Hi all. Spent a lot of time here a few years ago. Wound up with a 919 that's been great. Looking again at the v LT for solo touring.

Here is the thought. One long trip a year - 5-7K or so. Several camping weekends a year. Some commuting. Probably 10K a year. Mostly will use the 919 I've suspensioned up for weekend sport riding.

I know many have a lot of miles on this motor - so not looking for the "it will get 100K miles" I know it is a good motor.

Wondering when certain fixes are needed. Like how many miles for the stator? Cam chain adjuster? Etc...

What are general miles for certain repairs? What can I expect to fix if I ride this for 60K miles? Thanks for any input or observations from reading about the bike.

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on two wheels:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by alekkas; 06-04-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 02:21 AM

I have 50,000 on mine. I have replaced the low beam bulb once, cleaned the air filter at 25,000, a couple sets of chain and sprockets(could've just replaced front sprocket) and oil changes. Still have not checked/adjusted valves or replaced spark plugs. Getting 50-55 mpg. Just returned from 1200 mile trip today. I would not worry about longevity issues. 08 Versys.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 05:40 AM

Light bulbs

Over 50K miles on mine now.

If you like to wrench this bike is pretty boring. Only thing I've replaced:
Radiator cap
Passenger peg fell off

The rest is just your normal wear'n'tear items like tires, fluids, pads, etc

Valve adjustment intervals are really far apart at 25,000 miles. You do get to replace spark plugs a bit more frequently than I would have thought at 7,500 miles (by the book). But not the worst thing in the world to do.

Get a tire hugger or mud guard for your front and rear to avoid radiator damage or mucking up the rectifier and you'll be alright.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. I thought I recalled riders having to change out stators around the 30K mark. Other bikes (Kaw and others) have cam chain adjuster concerns at certain mileage so that is why I asked about that.

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:

on two wheels:
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alekkas View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I thought I recalled riders having to change out stators around the 30K mark. Other bikes (Kaw and others) have cam chain adjuster concerns at certain mileage so that is why I asked about that.
My '08 at 57,xxx miles is on the original stator, and my '09 at 54,xxx kms is NOT, but I'm pretty sure that the stator was NOT the problem - the rectifier was.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 07:41 AM

Hey there. I just read your post. I have a 107K+ on my bike. At 60K the stator and valve springs will probably need to be replaced. Valve shim clearance should be done at 16K miles. Spark plugs every 9K miles. I think everything else is just normal wear and tear. Clutch work is at 70K. Just my two cents.

Cheers!

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 02:58 PM

Just turned 60K on mine....Original owner, bought new with 4 additional years of warranty, it's a '09.

one valve adjustment done at 30K (all were slightly on the tight side, but still in spec)
New spark plugs at 50K
New starter at 55K (warrantied)
New battery at 55K
New stator at 58K (warrantied)
Fork seals started leaking at about 45K, fixed at 55K (warrantied)
2 headlight bulbs (and license plate light bulbs)
Just about ready for my 3rd set of brake pads
Just about ready for my 3rd set of chain and sprockets
Have a new clutch cable but have not put it on yet

Starts, sounds, runs and rides like the day I got it (better actually!).

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angst View Post
Hey there. I just read your post. I have a 107K+ on my bike. At 60K the stator and valve springs will probably need to be replaced. Valve shim clearance should be done at 16K miles. Spark plugs every 9K miles. I think everything else is just normal wear and tear. Clutch work is at 70K. Just my two cents.
You are the Grand Mileage Master! Please keep posting and don't waste your money on a new bike
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 06:28 PM

High Miles!!!

WOW, 107+K miles! That is fantastic. I just hit 95,000 on mine. I have only changed the plugs once (84K) and replaced the stator and regulator. Other than that it's been Lots of oil, new tires and a few chains.

95,000 miles and counting!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 07:31 AM

Smile I am only a humble man . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
You are the Grand Mileage Master! Please keep posting and don't waste your money on a new bike
Thanks Kawdog. I appreciate the accolade! I am only a humble man that LOVES to ride. Ride safe, ride far, ride often.

Cheers!

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 08:53 AM

My 09 was one of the most reliable bikes I ever owned. I had it a few years and never even had a bulb blow out.

I have the 15 650 LT model now and hoping for the same. They relocated the regulator to a spot under the right fairing on the new model, so no worries there. I put the fenda extenda on mine and it keeps the mud and crap off the radiator. A lot of good changes on the new model and it's actually a good looking bike.

I spent most of my money on bikes, booze and broads. The rest I wasted.

I'd like to have a bad day, just to see what it feels like.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Great posts !

You could add the line "and this is why I am addicted to a Versys" before or after any of those testaments.

In the same vein, I don't think I have ever heard of someone with an oil consumption issue with these either...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 10:01 AM

This thread makes you realize the unbelievable value the versys offers. Best bike I've ever owned!

Lovin every minute of it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode