New rider considering Versys, pricing advice needed! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New rider considering Versys, pricing advice needed!

Hey all,

I'm brand new to motorcycling and have been considering the V-Strom and the Versys. A local Kawasaki dealer is closing out their '09 Versys stock (3 left and I put a hold on one) and I'm seriously considering picking one up. It's brand new, with warranty.

I'm in Sacramento, California and the deal is $6299 out the door (including tax, title, license, freight, setup). From the research I've done, this is a pretty good deal considering the used V-Strom's I'm finding in my area are going for around $5k with 10k miles on them.

So, should I go for this deal? Oh, and if so, green or blue

Also, the dealer that has it has the basic Kawasaki accessories for it. I'm considering their top case trunk and the "tall" windscreen as additions. Anyone have any experience with these? I've heard good things about Givi stuff, but I can't afford to pay for them upfront now, but can roll the others into my financing if I want to.

Any advice for the newbie?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 01:34 AM

that aint a bad deal at all... and you'll be getting a wholelotta bike for that cash. i just got a green one myself and am VERY happy with it.

scouring CraigsL, this forum (and others), can easily save you a couple hondos on extras... so consider holding off on new bags right off unless you know you need them, as the markup at the dealers is pretty steep (and you're paying tax and interest on it, which makes it even more of a premium). just my opinion, others will vary.

you can always get the bike, ride it a while, and THEN start the inevitable spending spree. i switched my stock windscreen upside down and found that'll be good enough to get me through summer here in SoCal (maybe same for you in Sacto), but there are lots of good reviews/posts on here about the other screen options and everything else for that matter.

enjoy, and be safe. seriously, kawi hit a home run with this bike.

p.s. nothing takes the place of experience, but if you're a total noob, a safety course is a great start (if you haven't done so) as are some of these books: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...torcycle+books

k nuff soap box
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Shabadoo. Yes, complete noob here. My dad's been riding for years, but I'm getting a late start (I'm 30). I'm taking the MSF Basic course this weekend and hopefully the advanced this summer.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 06:42 AM

Sounds like a good deal to me. Choose whatever color you like.

I agree with shabadoo: recommend holding off on the extras until you've had some time on the bike and some time for research on alternatives. There are quite a few in terms of cases, windshields, etc. And all of them are discussed here.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
It's a good deal. I would see if the dealer would match the prices of the case. I believe and if i'm wrong someone will point it out that the kawasaki luggage is made by GIVI. Good deals on top cases pop up once in awhile on this forum. I just sold a Givi-V-46 for $150.00 shipped and bought a Givi 55 with back rest for $235.00 shipped. If the dealer would make a good deal on the luggage i would roll it into the price to have it now. If you make him think its a deal breaker you should come out on top.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 08:24 AM

trust me. once you ride the versys you will never look back. (im 29)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 10:43 AM

That's a decent deal. I got 6k out the door in socal last week. Don't let the dealer bog you down with adding this fee or that -- negotiate the final price. Once I saw the other details on the bike in person I went green but until then thought I would go blue.

More important than other stuff for a noob is gear IMHO. If you're willing to finance accessories finance good gear before that. And wear it all the time.

Have fun
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 11:34 AM

Garage
I always have them throw in a helmet on the deal.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 11:59 AM

If the dealer is already at their bottom price (and $6300 sounds pretty close), don't expect them to throw in anything that costs hundreds more because they can't afford to but definitely make sure that there is no doubt about the out the door price. What you do about the extras is your biz and your situation. I would hold off on the cases unless you definitely need them for a trip/s this summer. Definitely get good protective gear!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like this deal is legit. The dealer told me the drive off price would be $6299. I asked specifically about extra fees and he said there'd be nothing more, that includes everything. I'm gonna check another dealer in town this afternoon before I pull the trigger to see if they can beat it.

As for accessories, I think you guys are right. I'll probably wait on the bags and stuff. So in terms of gear, what types of "safety" accessories should I look at for the bike itself (lights, modulators, etc.). I'm considering some driving lights (PIAA's or Denali) as well as a Backoff brake modulator. Are those good to put on? What about a headlight modulator. I've heard differing opinions about those.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 12:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleeoop View Post
If the dealer is already at their bottom price (and $6300 sounds pretty close), don't expect them to throw in anything that costs hundreds more because they can't afford to but definitely make sure that there is no doubt about the out the door price. What you do about the extras is your biz and your situation. I would hold off on the cases unless you definitely need them for a trip/s this summer. Definitely get good protective gear!
The helmet most likely be a HJC-15 series $159.00 in most dealers showrooms Motorcycle superstore had them over the winter for 59.00. Or they will offer you the $159.00 amount in credit towards a helmet you prefer. get offers from other dealers and go in prepared a good salesman will respect that. To many sheep out there that aren't willing to do some home work and use all angles available to them. because believe me the dealer is

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 12:20 PM

Headlight and brakelight modulators are the best bang for the buck (IMHO w/40 years in the saddle) to get you noticed by unconscious drivers. The brake light modulator is hugely effective at getting tailgaters to back off when you just drag the brake enough to activate the brake light switch. If that doesn't work, switch lanes or pull over and get away from them.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 12:24 PM

I just got my 09 Green for $5299 plus tax etc... Renton Motorcycle Company here in WA. BRAND SPANKIN NEW! 1.2 miles....
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 12:27 PM

Some guys have all the luck!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack425 View Post
I just got my 09 Green for $5299 plus tax etc... Renton Motorcycle Company here in WA. BRAND SPANKIN NEW! 1.2 miles....
Nice. Of course the "etc" is what varies. We have dealers down here that will label a bike $4999, then claim it costs $2000 for freight and set up

For you Cali peeps, where the dealer collects tax and first year reg, you can use this:

https://mv.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/index.jsp

Everything else is what the dealer wants to extract from you no matter whether they call it a Document Fee, Freight, Setup etc.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Well, I just came back from another dealer. Another dealer matched the price of the other one, so because they are 25 minutes closer, I went with them. It was the last '09 they had. Blue in color. I picked up the Givi 405 windshield as well as the Givi E460 topcase for around 25% off. I just have to take the MSF course this weekend and I can start riding next week!

It has 1 mile on the odometer.

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 06:37 PM

nice looking ride, you have chosen wisely.

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 07:19 PM

Garage
Reminds me of when mine was a virgin. Then all the farkling began

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 08:19 PM

Sweet man!
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 09:00 PM

Very nice! Congratulations, you bought the right bike and the blue looks awesome. Let the fun begin!

09 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode