Passenger peg fell off! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation Passenger peg fell off!

I have an 08' Versys with over 50k miles on it, wife and I went to go get some ice cream (it's okay, she's under 90lbs). Went to flip the peg down for her to get on and the peg fell off.

The pin, retaining clip and some of the hardware was missing. The peg was held in by a spring, ball bearing and some washer. Was held on with cohesion alone. I am thankful it came off in the driveway rather than down the road held in by just the pin. So I'm glad the pin lost itself some time ago or something quite bad could have happened.

I know Kawasaki had a recall for the 2012 regarding the clip becoming brittle and breaking. Makes me curious if previous models may too be culpable of the same fate and haven't been caught?

So passing this info along so depending on the state of your marriage, you may want to preemptively check for safety sake. I don't like how the pegs are held on, a bolt and nut seems advisable. But feel free to steer me if I'm crazy for thinking so.

Be safe!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Went out and checked mine on the '09 - they're OK, but I can see where a bolt and locknut would be better....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
When I put the givi racks on my ninja 650 they used the passenger footpeg mount as a connection point and replaced the pin with a bolt and nut.

My Versys Travels:

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 10:41 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Can't hurt to check.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 05:15 AM

Garage
No wife. No problem
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Great post to be sure.

As I re-assemble my bike, just last night I was dealing with the pegs, front and back like you are speaking on.

I had "file" photos of that area that I had taken to assist me in re-assembly, having the ipad handy for reminding me where stuff goes...

Great that mother-kawi gave us passenger pegs, but she over complicated the system. Some odd shi*t drops out of these if you aint ready, ask me how I know.

I was hammering my cir-clips flat last night, straightening them for re-assembly. I don't think they are brittle, it's just not bulletproof.
I was positive I had ordered new clips... but turned out I got the larger ones for the front pegs, and missed getting the ones for the passenger pegs.

I considered leaving them off.... but on the odd chance one of my riding chums breaks down and we gotta ride double to get into town, etc.,
I would have wished they were still there. There is always the smoking hot hitchhiker possibility.. in my dreams

I like the suggestion of a bolt and likely a washer and lock nut. Maybe throw the old hardware in the tool bag for a spare.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
GOOD pics - had NO idea the inside of those was THAT complicated!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2008, footpeg, peg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode