Spray Cleaning Products for Engine - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Spray Cleaning Products for Engine

Greetings everyone. What do you all use to spray on your engine and hard to reach areas when cleaning the V? I've used S100, Motul and Meguiars so far. I think Meguiars seemed to work the best. How about you all?

BTW, I searched the forum on this topic to no avail. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

Hello StreetHawk,

I have some low tech, low cost suggestions, what worked for me. While I had my engine out, and hanging like a piñata, I used hot water with some Pine sol cleaner dumped in. That and a series of plastic bristle brushes I got from the auto parts store, as well as several toothbrushes from the dollar store- for going around bolts and stuff.

Pine sol mixed with some hot water in a bucket works well. Careful around the wiring and electronics, use common sense like you would with other degreasers, etc. My applications were for a major clean-inspect detail and refinish. It would be a bit overboard for weekly detailing but you get the idea.

After Pine sol, again- fresh hot water in the bucket. I mist the remaining nasty bits with simple Green. I let it sit awhile, and come back with more brushes sloshed in hot water.

After that, I rinsed with hot water, again, careful where it all ends up. I used some Dawn dish soap too in a similar manner. I have an air compressor, and carefully blow excess water off without blowing it into connections. I have heat in the shop and I crank it up to 80 for awhile to dry everything up nice.

All of the intended store bought-degreasers left an oily residue, or just did not work as well as what I talked about.

For me, the real test was, if I can paint or prime over it and not get fisheyes or grease spots, I know it was clean. Just some homebrew thoughts from a mad man. Stuff I read about and then have gone with it myself. I keep a old spray bottle with 50-50 mix of Simple Green and water, or the 50-50 Pine sol for spot jobs.

I use Kerosene for cleaning chains and sprockets.

FYI, all of these things when atomized in spray bottles, can make for a funky smelling mist that cuts your air off.... open some doors...!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I really like S100, but I use Simple Grren cause it's cheap. I don't let grunge build up for too long, so it's never a really nasty job.

IBA 12512

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 10:36 PM

DILUTE Simple Green. About 50/50 with water. Only on the engine though. Soap and water is plenty everywhere else.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 07:42 AM

I've used Motul and S100

I know the instructions are on the can, but just in case nobody reads them,
COLD BIKE ONLY. Motul doesn't appear at first to clean as good, but it leaves a protective film behind by design. I kind of like that feature, but I use S100
most of the time because you can get it everywhere. S100 even removes oxidation from raw aluminum so my handguard frames look brand new after a wash. S100 also removes wax I've heard (I never wax.)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I'm Lasy...WD40 - degrease, protects and smell good when burning off the headers and exhaust.

Just don't get it on the Bakes.

If my car needs a wash it is via Gerni and Snow Faom Lance using normal car wash ... bike then get covered in it as well.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 08:25 AM

I use the quarter car wash to clean the ending begin careful not to drive water into swing arm and suspension bearings.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info everyone :-D Excellent tips! I will incorporate them for sure. BTW, +1 on the dilution of Simple Green. I've got a discolored rear sprocket on my ER-6N thanks to just spraying it on "straight up" :-/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode