Facing tough decision Versys 1K or Zed 1000 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Facing tough decision Versys 1K or Zed 1000

I can't decide on saving some serious money or going broke. I have found some killer deals on several used 2013 and 14 Z1000s with low mileage or I can head to the stealership and pay taxes, destination fees, and get hit with depreciation on a 2015 V1000. The difference in cost is almost $5,000 US dollars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
I can't decide on saving some serious money or going broke. I have found some killer deals on several used 2013 and 14 Z1000s with low mileage or I can head to the stealership and pay taxes, destination fees, and get hit with depreciation on a 2015 V1000. The difference in cost is almost $5,000 US dollars.
I'd buy the Z1000. $5000 would buy new handlebars, seat, peg lowerers, and still have a ton left over for gas and beer and tires.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 11:35 PM

5K is a lot. Practically the same power plant. I'd say the Zed.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
I'd buy the Z1000. $5000 would buy new handlebars, seat, peg lowerers, and still have a ton left over for gas and beer and tires.
That is exactly how I was thinking.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 08:31 AM

I'd probably go for the Z1000. 5K is a lot of money and would be enough to buy a decent second bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Kawasaki Versys, 2012 BMW K1600 GTL, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, 2006 HD Electra Glide Classic
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 03:32 AM

Buy what you actually want. In a couple of years the money won't have been important.

If you end up with a bike that you didn't really want just to save some money, it will piss you off forever.

The V has extra suspension travel and more upright riding position. That would be worth $5k for me.

But, your choice.

BruceC
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 08:36 AM

After having sat on both I can say the V1000 would be my choice as it's a more upright, larger cockpit and is going to offer better protection with it's windshield/fairing than the Z1000. I am also certain anyone on the back would be happier as the seats a lot nicer, heck it's better for the rider. The Z1000 has a "Sportier" cockpit but is smaller and I was leaning a fair amount.

I have the go with what BC6805 said, having settled for something when I should have spent a few more buck to get what I really wanted was a poor decision in the long run I ended up sell the bike and taking a big hit in about 2 years only to spend even more getting the bike I'd really wanted at first.

But $5000.00 is a chunk of change. Just remember you are comparing apples to oranges in used to new. No warranty and how was the bike taken care of before you got it? In the long run it might not matter but it's worth a thought. That if I are NOT dead set on either one I think I'd go with the z1000 and upgrade it a bit.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 10:09 AM

You're comparing two very different machines.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 01:16 AM

Garage
I've ridden the V1 twice. If you only ride solo, get the Z1000. If you do a lot of 2 up, then go with the V1.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 02:36 AM

There's going to be inefficiencies or slippage, plus getting an older bike into shape isn't free. But you gotta stay afloat financially, so you may not have a choice.

Relax and don't sweat it: either way you'll be on the road and smarter too. ANY motorcycle is a blast! Get a 2012 or 2013 Vs. 650 w/low miles for $5K: just check Kelly Blue Book for the max price of a perfect bike, and you will never go wrong.

If you are human though, those bikes bigger than 1000cc will get your license taken away and get you killed, almost anyway.

1. Take a deep breath,
2. Get an almost new 2012 or 2013 Vs. 650 'sweet' handling bike, and
3. Your done! You are financially secure, and Welcome to motorcycle Heaven! It doesn't get any better, really! ymmv
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Get the one that meets the type of riding you plan on doing, or just get both.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 12:10 AM

For me I would go with Zed 1000 only because I like the overall bike better. Still remember the ZRX 1200 from early 00's and the Z1000 looks to be a monster version of it. But only two issues I really see.

1. Not sure what hard luggage options you have and I love me some hard luggage.

2. Insurance cost. For my 09 Versys I started at $30 a month full coverage and now it's about $23. I'm 40 with no accidents or speeding tickets so I'm interested to find out how much it would increase with a Z1000.

I learned on a 07 Ninja 250 and when compared to the Versys 650 I felt that the smaller bike was a lot more fun, flickable and managable. But being 6' tall and 280 I looked ridiculous on such a small bike. I just don't feel that the Versys 1000 will give me that fun feeling. So that's why I pick the lighter Z1000.
But honestly I don't need all that power to get me in trouble. I wouldn't even mind a Ninja 300 if I was 60 pounds lighter.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post
I wouldn't even mind a Ninja 300 if I was 60 pounds lighter.

Unless you play professional football, the above is attainable. I am seriously looking at used Ninja 300s. But they would have to have under 500 miles and never been dropped. I have seen a few that seized their engines in under 1000 miles because they never checked the oil level. LOL!

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Definitely the V1000. Why? It makes MUCH more sense as a primary bike (imho). I faced a similar decision when I narrowed my choice down to the Ninja 1000.

I test rode it at length and was thoroughly impressed with it's comfort and power! Then I test rode a Versys 650. The V 650 was WAY more comfortable and FUN!! More legroom and more fun in the twisties!! Down on power no doubt, but up on pretty much everything else!

Tbh, the extra ponies would've gotten me into "trouble" and the "coffin nail" was the full coverage insurance quotes :-/

The Z1000 deal breaker for me would be the cramped ergos (I'm in my 30s, 5'.11", 195 lbs) ...and the lack of any real wind protection.

Go with the V1000. Especially if its to be the primary mount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode