Airhawk Seat - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Airhawk Seat

Had one I used on my last cruiser. They sit too low for me and it worked great for the boost and the comfort.

Tried it on the Versys and I feel like a giant. It probably only boosts me an extra inch, but the handlebars seem so far away now and the wind noise just that inch up is exponentially louder. Still no buffeting though.

The one nice thing about it is the extra leg room. I busted my leg all to hell in a wreck last year and that little bit of extra straightness makes a nice difference.

Not sure what I'm going to do. The stock seat is comfortable for a couple hours, but I'd like something that keeps my butt happy a little longer. My wife absolutely loves it though, so I may end up keeping it and dealing with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Stick with the Airhawk. It'll become second nature in a few hundred miles. Its advantages far outweigh those few hundred miles without it under your ass. Make sure it's not overinflated... I have just a couple of puffs, if that, in mine.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Airhawk II medium or Airhawk R fit nicley.

I have tried both and bought an Airhawk R.

I have also tried the Airhawk DS and it is 1in too narrow each side for the Versys.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 11:09 PM

Garage
As mentioned, the amount of air is critical. The normal pressure points of you butt should still rest right on the seat and the air cells should be just enough to fill the voids to spread the pressure out.

I don't remember which size I have on mine, I'd have to check in the morning, but I like it. One other thing I did was cut a 3/4" piece of foam to the shape of the airhawk. Then I tapered it from the full 3/4" in the front to nothing toward the back. This leveled out t he saddle some. I just put the foam shim inside the airhawk case, under the air cell.

You could also lower the pegs for more leg room if you haven't already.

Mitch

Last edited by Slow-Steady; 05-22-2015 at 11:13 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 11:37 PM
BKP

Garage
Anyone want to buy mine? I have an Airhawk original.

@Saddlebag: Someone told me the other day that stocker seats are designed to be ultra comfortable for the 10 minutes someone might sit on one in the showroom... I completely believe that... never had a stocker I liked.

Tried Corbin, Mustang, Sargent... others. Favorite has been the Sargent. I'll be putting one on the Versys after I lower it...

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow-Steady View Post
As mentioned, the amount of air is critical. The normal pressure points of you butt should still rest right on the seat and the air cells should be just enough to fill the voids to spread the pressure out.
good info. i need to remember this next time i use mine. i usually fill it with air, which is comfy on the highway, but not so great in the twisties.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 01:15 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
When the Airhawk is inflated correctly it will only add about 5mm height to your seat. If your Airhawk is a neoprene bladder model it is about 7-9mm height.

Correct inflation is almost no air at all. as said above - just enough so that you can still feel the seat and the air to fill the voids and hold you in place.

You do not want it over inflated that you feel like you are sitting on a ballon and rolling side to side - not good on corners!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
You do not want it over inflated that you feel like you are sitting on a ballon and rolling side to side - not good on corners!
exactly, disconnected from the bike. on the last trip, i used it on the long transit days at beginning and end. but in between, i removed it, stuffed it under the duffel on the pillion perch. i didn't want it under me when i hit the curves. now i know a better way. i'll give it go on lolo pass.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
When the Airhawk is inflated correctly it will only add about 5mm height to your seat. If your Airhawk is a neoprene bladder model it is about 7-9mm height.
Thanks for the responses. I knew they didn't require much air, but I had no idea that 5-9 mm is it. Mine is an Airhawk R.

It worked fabulously on the cruiser. It fit so well on that bike, I could jump around on the seat in the twisties without any fear of it changing position. Not sure I have that much confidence in this setup. Okay though, as busted up as I am, I prolly don't need to be risking my shell any further by wringing it out in every corner anyway.

I'll really deflate it today, move it forward a bit, and give it another go.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have only ridden about 5 longish day trips where I used an Airhawk.

I borrowed a friends Cruiser Medium for the first 4 trips, I had to always adjust the toosh cushion a few times before I even got out of the city - you can feel it's not right even in city cornering.

If your bum tends to wollow on bumps or you feel like you are rolling onto onto the outside butt cheek, then there is too much air - let some out and try again. Much easier in city to pull over and let some air out and get it right then when you are on the highway.
Once it is set you should not need adjust it again.
Because I borrowed a friends I was forced to adjust it a few time and I got I learn what I liked over and over again.

Maybe you just need to try it out and adjust it a few time a see what works.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I have only ridden about 5 longish day trips where I used an Airhawk.

I borrowed a friends Cruiser Medium for the first 4 trips, I had to always adjust the toosh cushion a few times before I even got out of the city - you can feel it's not right even in city cornering.

If your bum tends to wollow on bumps or you feel like you are rolling onto onto the outside butt cheek, then there is too much air - let some out and try again. Much easier in city to pull over and let some air out and get it right then when you are on the highway.
Once it is set you should not need adjust it again.
Because I borrowed a friends I was forced to adjust it a few time and I got I learn what I liked over and over again.

Maybe you just need to try it out and adjust it a few time a see what works.
Well, I bled the air, centered the seat, and put a little over 300 miles on her yesterday. Much better. I also wore my helmet with a chin curtain and that cut down any additional wind noise.

Not as much legroom as the first time, but still a bit more than stock. Seat is comfortable much longer now. My reach to the bars is just about back to normal too. I think I'll keep it.

Thanks for the motivation to stick with it ye'all.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 06:44 AM

Great news!

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Good to hear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode