Ideals On Shipping Versys To Puerto Rico - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Ideals On Shipping Versys To Puerto Rico

Well the season for making the big bucks is coming to an end in a month or two at my work in texas. I make base plus commission so i come in about october to june or july make me and my boss a butt load of cash then the bottom falls out he can't pay me what its takes to keep me during that time. So it off to Puerto Rico to run one of my girlfriends business.I just got my bike the way i want it so i trying to see if it would be better to ship it or buy another one there and set it up like the one here. I'm sure the prices on the island will bring tears to my eyes. Monday i will start checking out shipping companys but was thinking do cruise ships haul freight if so i could get a mini vacation and get the bike there that way or a small shipper that would take me and the bike. And again i'll be back in texas about october. If anyone has any experience getting thier bike from one port to the other please give me a suggestion.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I wonder if this bike is for sale ????????????????

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/27/p...on-his-motorc/

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
This advice comes with a big warning. It was ten years ago when I shipped a bike to Puerto Rico, so everything I know may be out of date and just plain wrong.

At the time, I was living on the island. You're right, the prices are much higher there because of lack of competition (each manufacturer's distributor is also a dealer and nearly has a monopoly for that brand). So I bought a lightly used bike in Florida and shipped it to the island, saving myself a good chunk of change and getting a bike that wasn't available locally at the time. I shipped from Jacksonville to San Juan and if I remember correctly the shipping only cost a few hundred dollars, like $300 or $350 or something. Of course that was ten years ago. Some guys in Puerto Rico ship their bikes to Florida just to go to Bike Week in Daytona.

The problem with your plan is that there's an import tax. To title and register your bike in Puerto Rico, you'll have to pay something like a 7% tax. This may have changed in recent years when the island first instituted its current sales tax. When I lived there, there was no sales tax.

There's a lot of paperwork involved, but you can also get people to do that work for you for a minimal fee.

At the time I did this, you could not get your bike beyond the port without registering it and titling it locally. So you're stuck. You have to pay the tax even if you only plan to be there a few months, not permanently.

Personally, given the relatively short amount of time you're going to be in Puerto Rico, I'd rather look for something I could buy on the island. That's assuming the system today is still the same as it was back then. That's a big IF.

Anyone else know better? Boricua maybe?

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
i shot off a few e-mails to some shipping companies for some quotes.but i think i'll try to see what they have there as far as new,used or rentals. then if i decide to stay there i'll have mine shipped or give it to my girlfriend son's in california

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motociclista View Post
This advice comes with a big warning. It was ten years ago when I shipped a bike to Puerto Rico, so everything I know may be out of date and just plain wrong.

At the time, I was living on the island. You're right, the prices are much higher there because of lack of competition (each manufacturer's distributor is also a dealer and nearly has a monopoly for that brand). So I bought a lightly used bike in Florida and shipped it to the island, saving myself a good chunk of change and getting a bike that wasn't available locally at the time. I shipped from Jacksonville to San Juan and if I remember correctly the shipping only cost a few hundred dollars, like $300 or $350 or something. Of course that was ten years ago. Some guys in Puerto Rico ship their bikes to Florida just to go to Bike Week in Daytona.

The problem with your plan is that there's an import tax. To title and register your bike in Puerto Rico, you'll have to pay something like a 7% tax. This may have changed in recent years when the island first instituted its current sales tax. When I lived there, there was no sales tax.

There's a lot of paperwork involved, but you can also get people to do that work for you for a minimal fee.

At the time I did this, you could not get your bike beyond the port without registering it and titling it locally. So you're stuck. You have to pay the tax even if you only plan to be there a few months, not permanently.

Personally, given the relatively short amount of time you're going to be in Puerto Rico, I'd rather look for something I could buy on the island. That's assuming the system today is still the same as it was back then. That's a big IF.

Anyone else know better? Boricua maybe?
You are super correct, except its got worse...There are tax and an import tariff that magically appeared...A couple of guys I know said by the time they are done with you it'll cost 2K and change, but then again brother weljo said he got a boatload of $$$$$$$

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 12:13 AM

I would not ship any vehicle to the island. Tax and tariffs are absurd and you cannot move the vehicle past the port without getting it titled in the island. Only exception is the military. Besides given the extremely agressive driving I would rather not ride there. Trust me I grew up there.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
I would not ship any vehicle to the island. Tax and tariffs are absurd and you cannot move the vehicle past the port without getting it titled in the island. Only exception is the military. Besides given the extremely agressive driving I would rather not ride there. Trust me I grew up there.

You are right about the driving there i wasn't thinking about that. The stop signs should just have a big question mark on them. Alot of time's people there don't even slow down for them. Almost t-boned 3 cars in the first week there that just flew through a stop.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor View Post
You are super correct, except its got worse...There are tax and an import tariff that magically appeared...A couple of guys I know said by the time they are done with you it'll cost 2K and change, but then again brother weljo said he got a boatload of $$$$$$$
Being in sales you have to make as much as you can to make it through the lean months. I'm lucky enough to have an alternate gig.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Would it not be best to leave the bike in the states that you have put so much work into and just get a bike in Puerto Rico especially considering the potential cost of getting your beloved V there.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Would it not be best to leave the bike in the states that you have put so much work into and just get a bike in Puerto Rico especially considering the potential cost of getting your beloved V there.
Thats looking like the route to take. But i hate having to leave it here in texas. Well it is only going to be 3 to 4 months on the island.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 03:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
thats what i thought made most sense IMO
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
You are right about the driving there i wasn't thinking about that. The stop signs should just have a big question mark on them. Alot of time's people there don't even slow down for them. Almost t-boned 3 cars in the first week there that just flew through a stop.
the wife's family is from Puerto Rico ...The island is beautiful and I always enjoy going over there.Was over there this past summer . I think it was one of the only places I ever been that I did not wish I had my motorcycle with me. WE traveled alot of the old mountain roads( real narrow and major potholes) just did not look like a fun place to ride a motorcycle. I will never get tired looking at the beautiful woman. lol
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Beautiful Island even more Beautiful Women there. The women there seem to take more pride in thier appearance than here. They love to dress up and man do they like thier high heels.(God bless them for that) Good thing i don't have a jealous woman

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 10:00 PM

Red and white sign in an intersection in PR is a Coca Cola sign for the locals. Besides why look at a traffic signs when there are lots of good looking puertorican women to look at. I know Im married to one

Seriously, traffic is bad in the island and the roads although good by international standards are pretty lousy by most american standards. I grew up and lived most of my adult life there (Puerto Rico is still home for me) but after 10 years in Colorado Im spoiled and no longer like driving there.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 10:04 PM

Ill be down there in july drop me a pm so i can give you a couple of tips on where to go and what to do.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 10:28 PM

I live smack in the middle of San Juan, the capital and busiest roads of all Puerto Rico, since 2006 I have been riding almost on a daily basis, and I drive fast. First with my 06 KLR, and lately with my V. I have never had any problems driving, and even more, the cars move so I can pass. Off course you have to be skilled because you can encounter a 6 lane highway that merges into a 3 lane or such. There are great roads on the metro area, and even better on the country side. I take trips of 300 miles once every couple of months.The locals are nice to motorcycles. Dont be misguided by unexperienced and worse, people that dont live here. As for shipping your bike here, not worth the cost, buy a cheap bike at www.clasificadosonline.com and leave it here for the next trip.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Boricua: Thanks i'll do that. Last time i was there for 10 months working 7 days aweek except holidays. The last week there my girl and i took off 2 days to see some of the area around Ponce were i'll be staying. This time want to work in 1 day off a week to do some sight seeing.

Kallkrish: Appreciate the link. It will come in handy. Got a few shipping quotes one wasn't bad if i was going to keep the bike there.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Being in sales you have to make as much as you can to make it through the lean months. I'm lucky enough to have an alternate gig.
Hey weljo, I was just a kiddin ya...Can't help I am jealous. You are going to such a great place...Have a great one and send some pics of the local scenery for us landlocked types

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 09:21 AM

Nice Weijo, let me know what company does it, because I might take my V to NYC for a couple of years. Cheers
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor View Post
Hey weljo, I was just a kiddin ya...Can't help I am jealous. You are going to such a great place...Have a great one and send some pics of the local scenery for us landlocked types
"Local scenery" meaning pretty ladies in high heels no doubt???????

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode