Counter sprocket help - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Counter sprocket help

What size is the counter sprocket nut on a 2009 V650??

I'm helping a friend chg his chain/sprockets tomorrow, and I need to buy a 6 point socket to get the CS off safely (without boogering the nut).

Anyone remember off-hand ??
Thanx!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Post #13....http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...procket+change

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdcooper View Post
What size is the counter sprocket nut on a 2009 V650??

I'm helping a friend chg his chain/sprockets tomorrow, and I need to buy a 6 point socket to get the CS off safely (without boogering the nut).

Anyone remember off-hand ??
Thanx!!

1 1/16 or 26 mm if I remember correctly. Make sure you do use a six-point socket definitely not 12 point.
I removed my chain cover at the rear wheel and put a piece of one by two Hickorywood across the swingarm between the spokes. I then used a 3 foot pipe extension on my ratchet to break the nut loose. Piece of cake ha ha! Seriously though, doing it this way did make it easy. Good luck!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 03:03 PM

"Make sure you do use a six-point socket definitely not 12 point."

I learned the hard way.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Use a 1/2in not a 3/8in tools..... that nut can be PITA.

You don't want to be using a 6ft breaker bar on 3/8in headed sockets! They will not survive!

6 point sockets is a must!
6 point sockets are common as impact sockets used for rattle guns and pretty cheap.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I don't see where Kawasaki-Thailand tightened it to "spec", it was like they ran the gun wide open, went and had coffee, and then came back and released the trigger.

My air compressor would not crack mine loose. I ended up putting it all back together, & riding to a chum's place with a bigger compressor. Still, that one would not pop it loose. We had given up. I had two impact sockets that size, one standard and deep-well. We had been using the deep-well, and I was afraid we were going to break it or strip it out.

Before we hung it up, I tried the short socket on it, let it hammer awhile, and then it reluctantly let loose. OMG.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post

I don't see where Kawasaki-Thailand tightened it to "spec", it was like they ran the gun wide open, went and had coffee, and then came back and released the trigger.

My air compressor would not crack mine loose. I ended up putting it all back together, & riding to a chum's place with a bigger compressor. Still, that one would not pop it loose. We had given up. I had two impact sockets that size, one standard and deep-well. We had been using the deep-well, and I was afraid we were going to break it or strip it out.

Before we hung it up, I tried the short socket on it, let it hammer awhile, and then it reluctantly let loose. OMG.
Yep. Fun.

I tired with 4ft+ breaker bar - nope
Air tools with Large compressor - nope
Tire shop with a Snap-On top spec cordless impact wrench - nope
Had to go to a mates work shop and he just laughed and handed me his Ingersoll Rand Cordless impact wrench good for nut busting 1100 ft/lb torque and it was of before I gave the trigger a full squeeze!!!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
One of mine (on the '08) came off easily w/ a Sears Craftman air-impact. My '09's would NOT come off w my Ingersol-Rand carbon air-impact (and it loosens at 500'/#)!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had heard too, or read from you guys that the electric impacts have become a viable option. I was eyeballing one at Harbor Fright, but did not get one. My brother carries one when he tows his 5th wheel camper cross country, in case he has to spin a tire off, etc. I don't know the brand of it though.

Maybe the Thailanders getting inch and foot pounds cross pollinated on some of these bolt/nuts

I had conversed with a guy from Thailand at one time, another photographer would was quite gifted. I joked with him about the "KLR factory" that I envisioned, as they are assembled there since 2002 or so. Of course I took it too far and made a crack of the KLR being the Thailand Cadillac....

He said the KLR is indeed assembled there, but was not legal to own, it did not pass local emissions regs. Wow.... too stinky. Maybe some of that has since changed, I don't know.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 10:57 AM

That counter sprocket is a PITA to remove. Be careful not to bugger up your swing arm if you put something through the wheel to keep it from moving. See post #42 here http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t=66282&page=3

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 01:08 PM

Careful application of a bit of heat on the nut helps out.

2014 Valkyrie 1800
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyMan View Post
That counter sprocket is a PITA to remove. Be careful not to bugger up your swing arm if you put something through the wheel to keep it from moving. See post #42 here http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t=66282&page=3

That's why I used wood. It did no damage at all.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texrider View Post
Careful application of a bit of heat on the nut helps out.

You better be careful using heat. You know you've got rubber on your sprocket. Personally I don't think it's necessary.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 05:32 PM

Garage
Metric sockets are not compatible with imperial sockets even though the sizes are close. Using imperial sockets runs the risk of stripping the nut.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 09:09 PM

okay, i feel somewhat better about myself now, fresh off defeat by my countershaft sprocket. unfortunately, the wheel and chain are off the bike and trying to get that nut off with the bike in first gear actually drives the motor. and of course, i know no one with an impact wrench.

sigh

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Try this, and leave it in gear, preferably 3 or fourth.Note first post using deep socket in link below, this really does work. As to using heat on the nut, very bad idea unless you intend to replace it AND have a cutting torch and a impact. You get about 3 to 5 seconds from the time you apply heat to the time you turn the wrench, heat on too long and same result, unless you have done this before, chances are good to do damage to the nut, seal on counter shaft, counter shaft . In the picture a 18mm deep socket was used, will be a matter of getting the correct length, note tooth is parallel to the socket head.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=7280

Last edited by onewizard; 05-16-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode