2015 Owners Manual mistake, oil quantity - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2015 Owners Manual mistake, oil quantity

The owners manual says the oil quantity is 2.4 quarts in the specifications chart which is correct. In the oil change section it says 1.9 quarts with a filter change and 1.7 without. Just something I noticed and thought I'd pass on. Same info in my friends Ninja 650R manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
What does the sticker on the bike say? I put 2 quarts in my '11.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
There is NO mistake in the manual. The oil capacity in the specifications will NEVER equal the amount that comes out during an oil change. You will not get every drop of oil out. There will always be some residual oil left in the crankcase. Around 1/2 of a quart sounds about right.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
There is NO mistake in the manual. The oil capacity in the specifications will NEVER equal the amount that comes out during an oil change. You will not get every drop of oil out. There will always be some residual oil left in the crankcase. Around 1/2 of a quart sounds about right.
correct... when and if you do a valve inspection and take the top cover off, you will see around the cam area quite a few pockets where the oil pools and does not reach the sump.
The sump also have a few pockets that pools some oil and it does not drain.
There are probably a few more places where oil is trapped in pockets in the engine.

Bikes are rated with a weight that is dry - no fluids... a fresh virgin engine never seen oil. This is probably the 2.4 quart dry weight capacity needed.

Once you do oil changed the capacity is a suggested quality only.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Based on how much oil my engine swilled out, after it was drained and the filter pulled, as we swung it onto the bench with a come-along, it bled oil all over, maybe not a half quart, but a fair bit. I bet it's all out now...

Unrelated, the KLR forum crowd (many of us in a previous life) pretty much all were in agreement that filling the oil to the "line indicated" for the glass window 1/2 way ("Goat's eye") was insufficient, and they all (we all) commonly would fill till the "eye" was just turning totally black.

No so with the 'Vers?

Manuals are sketchy- when it says the KLR has six speeds, it' hard to trust them about anything after that.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
KLR does have six.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and laying on it side in 1ft of mud :P
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
KLR does have six.
VERY ...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 08:20 PM

split the difference, go with 2 quarts, ride the balls off her.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 08:12 PM

When changing oil my Concours, I'd just put in the appropriate amount and Bob's your uncle. I never looked at the oil window. Is that what you guys do with the Vers? Dump in two qts and call it a day?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 08:39 AM

2015 Owners Manual mistake, oil quantity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishman View Post
When changing oil my Concours, I'd just put in the appropriate amount and Bob's your uncle. I never looked at the oil window. Is that what you guys do with the Vers? Dump in two qts and call it a day?

I put in 2 qts and then check the glass. I'm always leaning the bike back and forth to try to get as much oil out as possible when draining. Just me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by E327; 05-20-2015 at 08:43 AM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 08:58 AM

I put in about 2 quarts. Then after my next ride, I turn off the motor, wait 5 minutes, stand the bike up, look in the little window, then top off the oil to get it near the top of the range indicated in the window. I've read on the forum that keeping the oil topped up could help cool the stator. Some V's have stator overheating problems and failure.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 09:31 AM

Using the sight glass is tricky. The bike has to be perfectly upright, on level ground. I sat a small level across the gas cap, and had my wife tell me when it was bubble perfect, the first time I did an oil change. Measured how much I put in, and use that as my guide. A couple of degrees lean of the bike in either direction, and the sight glass oil level is completely off. Also, whether you use a long or standard oil filter makes a bit of difference.
Was on a ride with a friend a few months ago, and while stopped for a minute, bikes off, he glances down and tells me that my oil level looks dangerously low, barely showing in the sight glass. I position myself as perfectly as I can, and stand the bike as level as my eyes will allow. "Check now", I say. "Never mind.", is his reply, after he sees the oil a hair below the top fill line.
I also believe that there are only two dangerous extremes when it comes to oil: Way too much, or way too little. Two or three ounces on either side of the perfect amount, is NOT going to result in catastrophic failure. Pick a "round about" amount, and ride the chit out of it.

2012 Versys
2007 Honda VTX 1800C
Sold everything else
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 09:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
KLR does have six.
Like Eddie said, indeed !

LOP
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 08:50 PM

Found this on page 7-8 of the 2015 Versys 650 manual:
Oil Lever Inspection
"If the oil level is too low, add the correct amount through the oil filter opening".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode