Motowerk Lowering Kit - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Motowerk Lowering Kit

Hi from Nova Scotia: I want to lower my Versys with the Motowerk lowering kit. Can those of you who have done this please confirm that it does not change the handling of the bike? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 06:55 AM

I lowered mine with the kit and the front by moving the forks. I have not noticed any problem.
Cb
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Do as per speedy instruction and you will love it. Good handling and easy to flat foot and I am 5,9".
i have some problem with my brakes setting, but that another subject all together.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 08:27 AM

I do not see any change in handeling. Speedy's kits are well made and the parts installation went well for me, The pay off is the added confidence when at a stop on uneven or loose road conditions. Dont forget the side stand mod too. Good Luck
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 10:32 AM

One of the best kits and things i have ever done on a bike. Had a lot of years and bikes and sure works good on my Versys. Handles great for me and i ride the curves a lot. My dealer put it in for me and said it sure looked like a nice kit and like it belongs on it. I did lower the front forks the same. I can touch flat foot now with a 29" inseam. Get the flatfoot for your sidestand and you will love it also. No more sinking in asphalt or loose dirt.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 01:34 PM

Garage
OUPS

FORGET ALL THIS

I TOUGH IT WAS THE FOOTPEG LOWERING KIT ...

================================================== =================

Did mine about a month ago

I did found small differences, but it's in favor of the lowering kit

My understanting is that since I'm less cramped on the bike, I can move more easilly to do some manouvers
It's easier to move my leg to reach the shifter/brake, easier to stand on the peg to balance my weight when passing over a portion of the road that is in bad condition

And if you consider that you have lowered your center of gravity about an inch and a half, you should be able to do better steering on less than perfect road when standing up on the peg

And if you are worry about brushing the peg on the road when cornering, well, I only have about less than 3/8 inch on each side of the rear tire that hasn't being rubbed and I haven't brushed them so far, so their's headroom left

I almost think that the bike should come standart with the speedy kit, since it doesn't altered the distance from seat to floor ...

My 2 cents

Let us know what you end up doing and your comment about it !

Ciao

LOP

Last edited by Lours_Polaire; 05-10-2010 at 07:13 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 04:29 AM

Here's my 2 cents worth. Keep in mind that I am in no way a professional rider, just someone who's ridden for a while.

I installed Shorty's lowering kit, I love it by the way - he builds a quality product. But since you can't lower the front as much as Shorty's kit lowers the rear, it does change the way the bike feels. To me the handling is a little bit heavier or slower to transition in and out of turns.

I was able to get the handling back to the stock feel by changing the tire sizes slightly:
- from 120/70R17 on the front to 120/60R17
- from 160/60R17 in back to 170/60R17
This change takes a little bit out of the drop you get in Shorty's kit and lowering the front a little more with the shorter tire. The end result is somewhere between 1 1/4 and 1 3/8 inch drop front and rear depending on tire make and how far you drop the front forks.

I spent much of my youth on crotch rockets so I like my steering to be a little faster or twitchy, but that is just me. My brother prefers cruisers and the sort and absolutely loved the way the V felt after Shorty's kit, before I changed the tires out. He too thinks that Shorty's kit should be installed from the factory on all V's.

I can say that with Shorty's kit, I never got the impression the bike suffered. It never felt unsafe and I was able to ride pretty aggressive with no concerns. Turning just required a little more effort to me. It all boils down to personal preference.

There you have it, take it for what it's worth.

Please, if you find any errors or disagree with this post ... comment about it. The only thing worse than no information ... is bad information.

Ride Safe friends,
Benjamin Hampton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode