V down ... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Angry V down ...

Funny, my surname starts with V Ö anyhow

Home recovering after surgery feeling pretty good today I decided to hop on the bike for few quick errands. Nice summery day, what can go wrong, right?

For Ottawa, ON folks, eastbound Hunt Club to northbound Prince of Wales, left turn.

Two lanes, yours truly in left (avoiding garbage truck on the right), we make the left turn, and I am just about to twist the throttle to get ahead of cager in Grand Caravan beside me when he decides to merge left. Fast! Iím pushed towards the median, Iím boxed in Ö brake, full-on contact fight with the car for a quick second trying to stay upright and donít get run over by SUV behind me Ö driver realizes heís killing someone so he swerves right and I follow but down I go. Lowside, right-side. About 40km/h I guess Ö SUV behind me does not have texting 16yo behind the wheel this time so he stops before he runs me over. I hit the ground with my forearm and helmet, slide a bit trying to protect healing scar on my belly and its over.

I get up, count my toes, check for bleeding and try to control a MAJOR road rage.

Helmet is done, jacket did its job and goes to garbage and so are gloves. I have a bit of scratch on right forearm as the armor twisted around a bit, dislocated left thumb (WTF and how?) and thatís it?

While people stop and push my bike to the curb (Canít lift heavy stuff just yet) the guy who got me is all over me about how he didnít see me Ö sure, say that few more times before all the good folks here and copper when they show up Ö I have (had) hi-viz yellow jacket Ö kinda hard to overlook 165# bumblebee Ö if you cared to move your head or check your BEEEP mirror !!!

Bike: took a slide but boy-oh-boy!, SW-Motech works !!! She does not have a scratch on her apart from mirror, handlebar end and handguard, bended rear brake pedal and Pyramid hugger broke off one mounting point. Shad topcase stayed on with no damage.

After threesome with first responders, paramedics and cops (no fault to me, guy got charged with something like dangerous line change (???)), she fired right away. I tried to run the bike, seems fine, no wobble I was able to detect.

Drove it home, spent nice time with claim agent, calmed wife, took some pics, had a beer.

Now some questions:

I want the bike to be checked by the Kawi dealer for damage and to make sure itís true and straight, what should I ask for? His insurance is covering the bill. Not sure about aftermarket parts Ö ?

Insurance will cover helmet, but not the jacket or gloves. What would you recommend to do? Talk to the driver first try to settle this and if not a small-claim court?

Will you replace the engine guard? Pics to follow.

Anything else am I missing?

Really crappy start of the season Ö.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1636.JPG (115.0 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1637.JPG (95.8 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1638.JPG (111.3 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1640.JPG (94.8 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1641.JPG (99.0 KB, 182 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Get Well Soon, and hope you solve your problem and the damage to the bike.
Can't help much on your insurance claim as I am on the other side off the universe.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
That sucks, sorry about your day! One thing I hate about is insurance is that it may sometimes pay to fix your bike but often it is never the same. Your bike has been down now, down and beat up a little. Everyone wants a bike that has never been down and now you no longer have one (no fault of yours)

Hope you get everything you deserve and new bike would be great!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 02:46 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecko View Post
Funny, my surname starts with V … anyhow

Home recovering after surgery feeling pretty good today I decided to hop on the bike for few quick errands. Nice summery day, what can go wrong, right?

For Ottawa, ON folks, eastbound Hunt Club to northbound Prince of Wales, left turn.

Two lanes, yours truly in left (avoiding garbage truck on the right), we make the left turn, and I am just about to twist the throttle to get ahead of cager in Grand Caravan beside me when he decides to merge left. Fast! I’m pushed towards the median, I’m boxed in … brake, full-on contact fight with the car for a quick second trying to stay upright and don’t get run over by SUV behind me … driver realizes he’s killing someone so he swerves right and I follow but down I go. Lowside, right-side. About 40km/h I guess … SUV behind me does not have texting 16yo behind the wheel this time so he stops before he runs me over. I hit the ground with my forearm and helmet, slide a bit trying to protect healing scar on my belly and its over.

I get up, count my toes, check for bleeding and try to control a MAJOR road rage.

Helmet is done, jacket did its job and goes to garbage and so are gloves. I have a bit of scratch on right forearm as the armor twisted around a bit, dislocated left thumb (WTF and how?) and that’s it?

While people stop and push my bike to the curb (Can’t lift heavy stuff just yet) the guy who got me is all over me about how he didn’t see me … sure, say that few more times before all the good folks here and copper when they show up … I have (had) hi-viz yellow jacket … kinda hard to overlook 165# bumblebee … if you cared to move your head or check your BEEEP mirror !!!

Bike: took a slide but boy-oh-boy!, SW-Motech works !!! She does not have a scratch on her apart from mirror, handlebar end and handguard, bended rear brake pedal and Pyramid hugger broke off one mounting point. Shad topcase stayed on with no damage.

After threesome with first responders, paramedics and cops (no fault to me, guy got charged with something like dangerous line change (???)), she fired right away. I tried to run the bike, seems fine, no wobble I was able to detect.

Drove it home, spent nice time with claim agent, calmed wife, took some pics, had a beer.

Now some questions:

I want the bike to be checked by the Kawi dealer for damage and to make sure it’s true and straight, what should I ask for? His insurance is covering the bill. Not sure about aftermarket parts … ?

Insurance will cover helmet, but not the jacket or gloves. What would you recommend to do? Talk to the driver first try to settle this and if not a small-claim court?

Will you replace the engine guard? Pics to follow.

Anything else am I missing?

Really crappy start of the season ….
Peter, that sucks, glad your OK.

If I were you I would get an estimate from Ottawa Good Time Center which is bound to be expensive. They will want to fix everything with brand new parts. Then give that to your agent and fix the bike yourself for less. Profit!

Engine bars are an easy fix. Remove, heat with a propane torch and hammer if bent. Sand and repaint with Tremclad or something similar. Brake pedal is a similar fix. If you need help with fairing repair give me a shout.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-08-2015 at 03:14 AM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I want the bike to be checked by the Kawi dealer for damage and to make sure it’s true and straight, what should I ask for?
Do you have a tech you trust?

When I had my accident last year, I had the bike sent to a dealer who I know has competent techs. Assessing the damage is really the insurance adjuster's job, but while he was there, one of the techs went over the bike with him. He pointed out a place where the frame appeared to be damaged. Didn't look like a big deal to me, but the insurance guy wrote it off and sent me a check. The bike was pretty much destroyed anyway, but that seemed to be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Best wishes for your full return to normalcy.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 09:05 AM

Garage
What kind of beer ?

Glad your are somewhat ok

Hope everything will turn out for the better !

Take care

LOP
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
What kind of beer?
I was nursed on european beers ...

Had some leftover DAB and Spaten in the fridge.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 11:30 AM

Get a Drift Ghost camera under $200 for a witness and always have it on your (RS) helmet.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I sure hope he didn't see you, or you could be charging him with assault!

Riding in traffic does suck. I would say that maybe 15 - 20 percent of my 25,000 miles a year are in traffic. Probably less.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 03:06 PM

Bad day right there, but good news is your alive. I would try to find someone who will give you a huge estimate on the damages. It doesn't take much to "total" a bike. A tweaked frame, and you are riding a 2015 LT

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
...Insurance will cover helmet, but not the jacket or gloves. What would you recommend to do? Talk to the driver first try to settle this and if not a small-claim court?...
That is absolute BS - insurance SHOULD buy you new gear to replace ANY that got banged-up!

Quote:
...Will you replace the engine guard?...
Yes, because of the possible "wear-through" where it's scratched, making it likely to break next fall-over.

Quote:
...Anything else am I missing?….[/B]
ANYTHING bent, scratched, broken should be replaced by HIS insurance, PLUS something for pain and suffering!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
That is absolute BS - insurance SHOULD buy you new gear to replace ANY that got banged-up!

as i recall homeowners insurance will cover this........for some reason

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 02:39 AM

Not sure if canada is the same as the Us. but here If the other driver was found at fault then every thing is covered even gear. Don't let them tell you other wise. don't except any checks and cash them. stand your ground and demand new replacements.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 02:54 AM

My insurance didn't offer squat and it wasn't my fault, even though my insurance papers said up to $1400 safety equipment (everything we buy is for safety) and helmet/coat/pants. My lawyer straightened them out shortly. i.e. - GET YOU A LAWYER NOW!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 03:33 PM

FYI: My Pyramid hugger broke in the same place just from normal wear/tear/vibration. I fixed it with a large washer and some JBWeld and it's been fine for over three years.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:

Glad it wasn't mayor, it could have been fatal. Something like that happened to me while on my bicycle and my head ended at inches of the van rear wheel.

About the jacket, make sure you tell them it was PROTECTIVE gear, I had a motorcycle accident last December and they cover protective gear such helmet and jacket but denied on pants, sweater and shirt because they were not protective gear.

Good luck!
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
When i got hit by a car. His insurance had to replace my helmet would have replaced my jacket and gloves but i declined because they only had a tiny wear spot each. They also had to pay to replace my camera that was damaged in the crash. Everything that had the tiniest scratch on it was replaced at new value.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Pecko V.,

Well stated account of your ordeal/horrors. I hope you are OK-- a bike can be fixed or replaced, but we don't need any banged up inmates. Interesting to hear how the bike fared and about the crash / vs Motech and all. Let them know if you get a chance.

Sounds like you stayed pretty cool, all in all.

Hope you are back at it soon
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Hi all,

thank you for kind words and hints on how to deal with this.
I'm just lucky to be upright, walking and be able to share.
I have the bike with Kawi mechanics (Ottawa Good Time Center) and adjuster is supposed to show up on Monday. When I know more about how the bike fared .... or how i cleared the insurance issues i will let you friendly inmates know.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Question

if, a big IF the bike is totalled, which i highly doubt since the swmotech did a great job, i saw one 2012 yellow/black for sale in Thunder Bay. A fellow inmate here ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode