This may be a goofy question - buying new bike - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
This may be a goofy question - buying new bike

I have always bought used bikes and therefore this question:

I have been negotiating with a Kawi dealer for a 2010 Versys and since the production seems to have been stopped, he only has one in stock which happens to be the floor model. When I spoke to the sales guy on phone (and email), he said the bike hasn't even been started yet and will only be prepped for me to test ride before my purchase. And then I went in yesterday and was told by a different sales person that the bike has about 15 kms on it because mechanics try it after prepping it and that this bike is as new as a bike can be and that it is common to have 15-20 kms during prep. I don't mind a couple of kms on a brand new bike but 15 is a bit too much or am I just being too uptight about buying a new bike?

Looking forward to some words of wisdom from experienced riders.

Last edited by datawiz2012; 05-07-2010 at 05:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
not a goofy question as it is wise to ask such questions, not sure myself as never been blessed enough to get a brand spanker but some of the gurus on the sight will see you right, hope it all goes well for you.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 05:49 AM

They don't ride them as part of the prep. Different manufactures send the bikes with different amounts of dis-assembly to fit them in the metal crate. From the factory they come with about 3 Miles on the odo. (5km) Usually all the dealer does is check torque and bolt on handlebars.

They typically keep the batteries out of them until the sale. So if you see one assembled on the floor, it doesn't necessarily mean that the dealer rode it. It could be a demo though.

From my personal experience if a bike had more than 5 miles on it, I would think that it had been demo'd.

The dealer could ride it around the building after assembly for you to test the brakes, but that would be the most I would expect.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 06:01 AM

Some dealers have the tech test ride the bikes after they do the final assembly .

Last edited by turn8a; 05-07-2010 at 06:03 AM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 08:25 AM

I think 15 km (almost 10 miles) is a bit long for a test ride after prep, it can be done in a few km. Especially when you expect brand spanking new, that could feel like too much.

On the other hand, it is still within the crucial break-in period of the first 30-50 miles, so you could decide not to worry about it.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 08:37 AM

my brand new versys came with 0.7 miles. Only because the mechanic that put it together drove it to the gas station to fill her up before i rode off. I watch them assemble the bike and ride it out of the garage. They put on the front tire, front brakes, windshield, handlebars, and some of the plastic accents.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 08:53 AM

My new '09 bought in April this year had 21 miles on it. I had originally thought that was 2.1. I wouldn't worry about it. FWIW, I paid 5669.00 for mine out the door, and that was only because they charged 300.00 for shipping it from another dealer in NH.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 09:25 AM

I personally wouldn't worry about it. I think mine had 12 miles on it.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 12:51 PM

My 09 had not yet been prepped when I first saw it , the dealer promised they would only put one mile on it during their prep and check out. It had exactly one mile on the day I rode it home.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I feel a little less anxious.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 12:55 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. However, mine came with zero miles!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Didn't even sit on mine much less look at the milage. got the price went to work called salesman worked out an offer over the phone. loaded into truck garaged for two weeks because of weather and when i did fire it up still didn't notice the milage. It's a new bike 0 or 100 miles doesn't matter

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 07:03 AM

I found a 2008 that had been sitting in the dealers back room for 2 years. It had 4 miles and after I test road the bike twice it had 21 miles .
I wouldn't worry about a bike with less than 50 miles.

Cb
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneman064 View Post
They don't ride them as part of the prep. Different manufactures send the bikes with different amounts of dis-assembly to fit them in the metal crate. From the factory they come with about 3 Miles on the odo. (5km) Usually all the dealer does is check torque and bolt on handlebars.

They typically keep the batteries out of them until the sale. So if you see one assembled on the floor, it doesn't necessarily mean that the dealer rode it. It could be a demo though.

From my personal experience if a bike had more than 5 miles on it, I would think that it had been demo'd.

The dealer could ride it around the building after assembly for you to test the brakes, but that would be the most I would expect.

Not true, atleast every NEW bike I have purchased was "0" Miles on the ODO.

Todd
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneman064 View Post

Agreed.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Not everything New is NEW, So a few Km on the ODo will proof that it's New and running. Why take back a bike Zero in it and not tested before. I took mine at 150Km, i think it was a offer from KAWA with all the accesories and the dealer did a few km on it. I got it for a fair price and with all the warranty. I am happy with it and no probelm whatsoever.
Its your call friend.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 02:52 PM

My dealer put 12 miles on mine after I had them change a tire ..... I think they just like to joy ride on bikes that aren't theirs.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 10:48 AM

You guys do realize that your bike has been started and ran hard at the factory?

Every bike is started and ran on a two-roller dyno up to redline under load in each gear, then decelerated and brakes are tested, including a roller under the front tire for front brake testing.They get a little bit of warm-up before riding onto the dyno. Speedo is checked at 40, 60 and 80 mph. A dyno report is generated for each bike an should be available to the district Kawasaki rep if problems occur during the warranty period.

I visited the Harley Davidson plant here in Kansas City, they do this same process of cold start run-up and braking. Really cool to hear a V-Rod at redline, under full load even muffled as it was outside the test chamber

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

Last edited by bscott; 05-10-2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: I kant spel.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
that would really sound like heavy metal thunder
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 06:51 PM
DBL

My brand new '10 had ZERO miles on the odometer when I bought it back in April and I paid close to US$7200 OTD. As long as the dealer honors the FULL Kawasaki warranty, I wouldn't worry about it having a few miles or kilometers on it. After you ride it a bit, you won't even think about it. Trust me! Break it in and have a blast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode