New Seat? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question New Seat?

So, how is the new seat on either of the new rides? Does it need to be replaced immediately or is it good enough to keep?

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 01:05 PM

I've just had my 650 for a week. Still shifting around to see where the "right" position will be. The seat's not bad - after a few hours in the saddle I needed a break but word is that after breakin they're better.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 04:01 PM

My tailbone told me that one hour at a time was enough, so had a custom done.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 01:37 AM

the new 650 seat is the same part number as the 2011 650
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 04:47 AM

I find the original seat just fine. Have done 300km without a stop without a problem. Definitely not going to change the seat.

BruceC
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 07:07 AM

If it's the same seat as my 2012, and Motojunkee says it's the same part number, I'd start saving for a replacement if I were you. The Seat Concepts kit is a very good option IMHO. I was so impressed with it I sold the Sargent's Saddle off my KLR for a kit for it after riding the Versys the the Seat concepts kit for a year. The kit cost about half the price but I love it!

Take a poll here and you'll find it likely the most popular choice.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
If it's the same seat as my 2012, and Motojunkee says it's the same part number, I'd start saving for a replacement if I were you. The Seat Concepts kit is a very good option IMHO. I was so impressed with it I sold the Sargent's Saddle off my KLR for a kit for it after riding the Versys the the Seat concepts kit for a year. The kit cost about half the price but I love it!

Take a poll here and you'll find it likely the most popular choice.
Spend your money however you like, but I raised the front of the seat in BOTH my Vs in the first week or so, and I've NEVER had a problem since. TOTAL co$t - about $2 each, and I've ridden MANY high-mileage days. Two longer metric bolts, several more washers, and a 'bridge' piece, and you're good-to-go!

That is what a LOT of us did when the '08s first hit the US of A...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 02:31 PM
BKP

Garage
Jury's still out for me... but leaning towards putting a Sargent on it...

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Spend your money however you like, but I raised the front of the seat in BOTH my Vs in the first week or so, and I've NEVER had a problem since. TOTAL co$t - about $2 each, and I've ridden MANY high-mileage days.
You need to write a book of bike tricks. It's always interesting to see how you do things. You have so many iconoclastic solutions to things.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 11:52 PM

Garage
I'll give this a try. Thanks for the pics. I see a trip to Ace Hardware in the works for me tomorrow.

Binderline
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 08:19 AM

The seat feels the same on my new 15 as my 09 felt. I have a used Sargent I just bought coming this week and can't wait. I actually like the position of the stock seat but after a couple of hours I get ass burn due to the soft foam. I used a sheepskin and an Airhawk on my 09 but don't want to be doing all that anymore. The Sargent seemed like the best choice for me after doing a bunch of reading, a lot of it on this site. Thanks!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 09:26 PM

Got the Sargent. I only have about 200 miles on it so it's still breaking in to my ass compared to the previous owner. Great seat. It puts you up a little higher and in a sportier riding position which I like as I'm leaning into the bars more. Wider then stock but the foam is way better and don't get my balls smashed into the tank. My wife loves the pillion which is bigger then stock. The rider position is shorter then the stock seat to the back hump by a little but no issue for me as I ride with my legs some too so I'm further up anyway.

I spent most of my money on bikes, booze and broads. The rest I wasted.

I'd like to have a bad day, just to see what it feels like.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 11:18 PM

I got a new seat on my '13. It's lower and more comfortable. It also slides me forward a bit but I don't have any junk to worry about.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 12:44 AM

I have a seat from Terry Adcox. I have a 2010 and I can ride about 4 hrs before the back side needs a break. His seats are very well thought out, Look great on the bike and are very comfy. He will make it how ever you want it.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Terry...50069175036324

My bike.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 01:42 AM
BKP

Garage
Went ahead and ordered the Sargent. Can't deal with the compressed junk any longer...
(Had a Sargent on my V-Strom, and the improvement was epic...)

Ride safe...

Barry
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighman View Post
I have a seat from Terry Adcox. I have a 2010 and I can ride about 4 hrs before the back side needs a break. His seats are very well thought out, Look great on the bike and are very comfy. He will make it how ever you want it.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Terry...50069175036324

My bike.
Nice! Those Adcox seats look really comfortable. I was looking at getting one but found the used Sargent. What tail trunk is that?

I spent most of my money on bikes, booze and broads. The rest I wasted.

I'd like to have a bad day, just to see what it feels like.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 07:23 PM
BKP

Garage
Well... put the Sargent on the bike, and the difference is *still* epic.
When I first got on, it felt like a Corbin (much firmer than the stock). But, soon realized that's the *problem* with the stocker -- too cushy -- very good for the first 1/2 hour or so... then... ugghhh...

It's about 1/4" taller (due to the firmer foam), and it doesn't slide you into the tank at hard stops (no more compressed junk). The material is less tacky, so it doesn't hang up your pants when you *want* to slide forward or back...

Butt comfort is one of the most personal, and varied experiences on a bike... so, I can only speak from my own... experience. Huge improvement... for me.

Sargent on the left:

Ride safe...

Barry
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 11:19 AM

Garage
Picked up my 2015 a week ago. It was ok on short rides of 1-2 hours but I went on a 4 hour ride this weekend and my lower back couldn't take anymore. I'm long legged (34" inseam) While the seat is high off the ground the relationship to the pegs was cramped. I ordered the footpeg lowering kit from Motowerk. If that doesn't do the trick I'll order a more spacious aftermarket seat. Something that allows me to move back another inch.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimfire View Post
I got a new seat on my '13. It's lower and more comfortable. It also slides me forward a bit but I don't have any junk to worry about.
What did you get, the Kawasaki low gel seat?

You can raise it up like a poster demonstrated in this thread, ... if you want to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode