Plug Holder? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Plug Holder?

I was looking for a spot to mount an SAE panel mount connector.
One of these: http://www.aerostich.com/sae-panel-mount-connector.html
on either the left fairing or to the left of the display.

Upon closer inspection, I don't think there is enough clearance at either location at full lock.

Has anyone made something like this: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...e-style-socket
to mount off the handlebar clamps.

I don't think it would be too hard to fab one up out of aluminum. Does anyone know off hand the thread and length of the existing bolts, as I would probably need 2 that are 1/2" longer and a spacer.

Thanks,

Mitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 09:43 AM

There is plenty of room on either side of the faring inserts. Also there is room under the seat for a 12v outlet.

Notice the centech AP1.

I'm no diplomat
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
On My 09 Its On The Right Hand Side...

IMG_0390 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:04 PM

Garage
On the Versys and FJR I ran multiple pigtails so i could hook up an outlet when needed. Also you don't have to cut anything and if you sell the bike just take them off and put on the new bike...

First 2 photos i just zip tied a couple to the lines running along the handlebars.

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the input.

I'm definitely looking for an SAE mount, as that is what my jacket is wired with. I know the one I linked to is for going through a tank bag, but it should go through a fairing just the same.

I thought about just zip stripping a plug to somewhere on the handlebars but it seems that a fixed mount would make fore easier plugging and unplugging, especially with gloves on. Have you ever had trouble with this?

If I put it up front, somewhere visible, maybe I will remember to unplug it when I get off.

I will have to reassess the space to the left of the display and see that it clears my Barkbusters.

Mitch
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 02:42 PM

Garage
Never any issues plugging or un-plugging devices with the gloves on or off.....http://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-vehi...t/1/28#formtop

Also had the jumper cables shown in the above link on the Versys they are now on the FJR..

IMG_0067 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 05-06-2015 at 02:47 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Weljo,

I have the SAE fused battery lead now and I just have it coming out from under the seat, mid left side. Works fine, but is a PITA to plug and unplug ... when I remember.

I definitely need something mounted where I can see it and it is easier to get to.

Mitch
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 02:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow-Steady View Post
Thanks Weljo,

I have the SAE fused battery lead now and I just have it coming out from under the seat, mid left side. Works fine, but is a PITA to plug and unplug ... when I remember.

I definitely need something mounted where I can see it and it is easier to get to.

Mitch

Check out the C-Tek brand thats what i have on the right handle bar. I use a C-Tek battery charger also.......
http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-260-Comfort-Connect-Batteries/dp/B002MT72YE/ref=pd_sim_auto_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=1B8E89Y1K2BK2T2YTA53
http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-573-Comfort-Connect-Socket/dp/B002X6DQV4/ref=pd_sim_auto_13?ie=UTF8&refRID=1NJVKYVBR39V31984HTA
They connect together very easy and release by pushing on one end of the orange part you see and then just pull.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 05-06-2015 at 02:59 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
On My 09 Its On The Right Hand Side....
MINE too!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
mines top center/left =p
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1415114656002.jpg (42.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 1415114679129.jpg (33.7 KB, 32 views)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode