ABS Should it be a LAW? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ABS Should it be a LAW?

Just read this...Personally I would like to have it, but should it be a law?

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/20...46&post_id=839

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 11:55 PM

You want big brother to tell you that you must have anti lock brakes on your motorcycle?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Pesonally would love to have it, but dealers dont bring in ABS model. So unless there is a LAW to govern that all bikes for safety reason must have ABS system, than there is going to be non ABS models and ABS model.
Manufactures like Kawa or Honda are not too concern about safety of the man on the street with their bikes.

ABS is a must for bikes and the only way to enforce is by LAW.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
for a extra $1600.00 you can have it on the 2010 here but thats a lot of coin
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 06:22 AM

Please, lets get out of this nanny state mentality. Every life isn't precious.

If i want to lock my brakes up so I can slide safely underneath a semi-rig instead of smashing into it headlong its my prerogative.

Holy cow, too many people worried about what others do. If we continue down this slope motorcycles will be outlawed so somebody's precious snowflake won't have an accident and hurt their knee.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 08:14 AM

`And in their continuing quest to create a world with no sharp edges or pointy corners, where the government will protect EVERYBODY against EVERYTHING that could ever possibly hurt them...’

Stay the hell out of my life! I will decide how I want to live it and what risks I want to take and the best way that I want to address those risks!

PS, The ABS in my truck damn near caused me to get T-boned by a tractor trailer once by not letting me stop in some (not THAT slippery) snow... and multiple sources – including the dealer – then confirmed that the ABS was actually working the way it was supposed to. `Oh, okay. Thank you very much... I’ll just disable that right now!’.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 08:20 AM

I don't think it should be law, but it would be nice if ABS bikes would be more available in the US. At least give us the choice to get it.

The added ABS is also relatively expensive compared to the total cost of a cheap bike like the Versys, especially when they ask $1600, as opposed to $1000 for ABS on a Honda ST1300 or $900 on a FJR.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

The only benefit to making it a law would be that the manufacturers would have to lower the cost of abs to include it in the msrp...IMHO they screw us bad making abs an "option"...My guess it only costs them 100.00 to install it on a bike and to me that would be a fair price, but at a thousand, give me a break...They are making mucho $ at that price point...

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 10:02 AM

Once they make ABS law they may as well keep going and just make motorcycles illegal. They are very dangerous afterall.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
An other side of the coin:

-since ABS became (pretty much) standard issue on cars, its cost has been reduced by a HUGE amount of $.

-can't speak for any of you, but TWICE in the past several years driving cars I've had to go into FULL ABS braking and make lateral moves to avoid an accident while still on full braking. The INTENTIONAL lateral moves would not have been available without ABS, but, certainly, UNINTENTIONAL moves would have been...!

I would LOVE to have switchable ABS so I could turn it off on dirt, for instance.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 04:11 PM

Tiered licensing and mandatory rider training would do a LOT more good for overall safety than ABS.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 04:42 PM

I honestly wouldn't mind it, because I would very much prefer to have ABS on my bike... but I don't, because they didn't bother to make it available (despite the fact that the system was already developed for other markets).

If it were mandated every bike would have it, and the cost per bike would be far, far lower.

For some reason a lot of people like to make up ridiculous reasons why ABS is bad, but it's basically BS. ABS is wonderful technology that would make our bikes safer, period.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 05:57 PM

They should also make it law to put a Lexan bubble all around all bikes, put fore, aft and side airbags, and also training wheels. Probably should put blinking strobe lights on all sides as well. Also make it a law to have windshield wipers. That would also make motorcycles less dangerous.

Geez folks, keep big brother out of our lives. Where does it all stop?
I can tell you, when they just make it a law that motorcycling is illegal.

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 05:59 PM

Oh, I forgot seatbelts. Gotta have seatbelts.

Make it a LAW!!!

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Probably should have throttle restricters as well...I know on my V it seems to stay in the "haul ass" mode just about all the time

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 08:08 PM

No law...but wish I had it.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 12:12 AM

I think it should be up to the consumer if they wish to urchase a bike with ABS. It is an option in the UK, and I nearly bought one with it, however when I fianlly go tmy licence and was ready to buy it had already been sold... and there were jno other ABS models available secondhand... I wasn't prepared to buy new.

like ABS in a car its nice but I do think there is an element of locking the stable door. for the extra price of the ABS you could have lots of lessons to improve your skills (read don't get into a situation where you need to jam on the anchors) and lots of fuel to go out and get lots of experience riding.

unlike car ABS bike ABS is effective in a very limited area... I think it is usefull... as the many videos on youtube and elsewhere show but I don't think its the magical silver bullet. almost by defintion if you are in need of ABS then either you have a problem in your riding techinique or you genuinely may the 'victim' of an accident... I'd arue that most of the pickles I've got into when riding have been largely of my own making and as my skills develop those are fewer.. relying on a technological solution to a human problem is not a smart move. fix the human factors first, then work on the technology. I expect that for some people the presence of ABS will grant some god like self beleif and immortality that ABS will get you out of the pickle. the smart aleck response is don't get into that pickle in the first place.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
European Versys have the ABS option, in NA we don't. If all bikes came with ABS, the cost of this feature would go way, way down which would be good for everybody.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 12:47 AM

yes mass production would reduce the costs....
but does the presences of ABS significnatly improve safety, which is afer all a mindset. Having passed my (mandatory) bike licence test after some 4...5 days training I then took another series of optional training post licence to improve my skills..... in my books money well spent. meaning I didn't get to learn dodgy habits from mates, I learned to string corners together, and learned all about observations, giving and receiving information. I don't claim to know it all... it's be a prat who did claim so, but I reckon most riders would benefit from some form of structured skills development. it is a mindset, but I think a good parallel is to think almost like a fighter pilot.... there is soemone out there out to get you, but its part of your job to keep a good look out for them and not let them surprise you. on the bike it may not be 'the hun in the sun', it may well be the hockey mum in suburban... the point us they are nearly always capable of being anticipated if you push your observation bubble out far enough. if you are reacting to are too late, you should be anticipating. ride defensively, that doesn't mean wimpishly, it means that in the event of an accident you as a rider will come off worse against a car, van or truck.... so take appropriate actions
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 03:11 AM

If it is to trust this rider's skill, Ducati has a good system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6sTb...layer_embedded

Last edited by Ivan V; 05-08-2010 at 03:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode