Looking at 3000 ride, anyone do any LD Rideing with the V? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looking at 3000 mile ride, anyone do any LD Riding with the V?

I am looking at possibly riding the V up to Rochester, MN from Laguna Vista, TX. It is 1500 miles one way and I would need to make the trip up in under 2 days. Leaving Saturday evening around 8:00 after a 12 hr. shift in the ER and arriving in Rochester Monday evening and be ready for a job interview early Tuesday morning.

I am 50 yrs. old in pretty good shape, and have ridden LD's before on sport touring bikes, but am a little concerned about fatigue on the smaller Versys.

I rode the V down from Dallas a few weeks ago (520 miles) in about 10 hours (half of those hours in heavy rain) and was pretty sore after the ride. The stock seat especially became uncomfortable. I have now put on about 1500 miles on the bike and have aclimatized myself somewhat.

Do you think I'm nuts? What is the experience of others with a LD dash?

Cheers,

Last edited by Zeniac; 07-16-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 10:20 PM

Well at 20 years old it would be a piece of cake. I will soon be 55 and wouldn't even consider that ride on the V. I have L4 and L5 deteriorated due to early years of dirt biking. I would consider on my Goldwing but not after a 12 hour shift and leaving at night on top of that. I do have a modified seat and taller windshield on my V but the stock seat for me a 300 mile day would be too much.
There again you only live once so if your health is good maybe just do it!!!!
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzman View Post
There again you only live once so if your health is good maybe just do it!!!!
Here here! (or is it hear hear?)

"When It Rains, Get Wet"

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzman View Post
I have L4 and L5 deteriorated due to early years of dirt biking.
Dirtbiking injuries also plague me, I have had back and knee surgery. The back holds up pretty well as I try to keep myself in good shape, however, my knee can be bothersome on longer trips, although the surgery really has helped.

I rode from Ann Arbor, MI to Laguna Vista on a Speed Triple 7 years ago, it took me a couple of long days; also spent a considerable amount if time in the rain, I held out pretty well, suprisingly. Although I was only 43 at the time.

Dang, I'd like to ride the bike, but my wife thinks I'm completely insane. Well I don't have to leave until the 10th of August so I have a few days to consider it.

Cheers
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman325 View Post
Here here! (or is it hear hear?)
Hear hear wiki

ETA: I am 37 and don't think I would make that ride. Good luck on your trip whatever you decide!

Last edited by thegrandwazoo; 07-17-2008 at 01:18 AM.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 11:03 AM

Hey Zeniac.... I'm new to this forum, as I am seriously considering a Versys for next season. Right now I ride an older 81 XS650 Yamaha, but would like something a little more reliable and comfortable for longer jaunts.

I live in Rochester, MN, so I am interested in hearing about your thoughts on the Versys after that long a ride. It might make me consider something else...but I really like the Versys, so I hope it satisfies you.

Im 40, so I do not yet have all the aches and pains that everyone older than me keeps implying ;-)...but a comfortable long distance tourer is definitely something I'd like to have.

Let me know your plans...I would love to meet you after you get here, and hear about your trip in person. I have never done a long distance ride, but really want to do one soon. A buddy and I might do one next summer, which is why I am considering a Versys.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 03:25 PM

Personally, I think the ride is a bad idea on several levels.
1. You are suggesting a long long ride in two days.
2. You are planning to leave after a 12 hour shift.
3. You will arrive absolutely "burnt-out" for your interview.
4. You will not make the best impression on the interviewers.
5. They will question your "judgment" based on 1-4 above.
6. I'm willing to bet JUDGMENT plays a big role in your job/skills requirements!

I suggest you bite the bullet and either drive a car/truck or fly. Neither is as taxing as riding a MC long distance. Save the LD ride for when it is vacation and you can enjoy the ride, slow down or stop as required or wanted.

Red
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Alert View Post
Personally, I think the ride is a bad idea on several levels.
1. You are suggesting a long long ride in two days.
2. You are planning to leave after a 12 hour shift.
3. You will arrive absolutely "burnt-out" for your interview.
4. You will not make the best impression on the interviewers.
5. They will question your "judgment" based on 1-4 above.
6. I'm willing to bet JUDGMENT plays a big role in your job/skills requirements!

I suggest you bite the bullet and either drive a car/truck or fly. Neither is as taxing as riding a MC long distance. Save the LD ride for when it is vacation and you can enjoy the ride, slow down or stop as required or wanted.

Red
+1

Corey
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey872 View Post
+1
I second that.....
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 08:20 PM

The first weekend after I purchased my Wing I headed out on Saturday morning at 6:30 and returned around 6:30PM. I rode 650 miles and worked around the house until 11:00PM.

It you can jump n the V and do a 700 mile day. you will probably be able to make a better decision after that.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 09:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to bszwed
I am 73 and can still ride 750 mile days. I am sure that my versys will do it with ne problems. It ia a great and fun bike to ride.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 11:18 AM

The bike will do fine for that ride. Your butt might not, but I certainly wouldn't do it after working 12 hrs!! You need to be rested and alert for riding any distance!!

Bill
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Versys
F650GSD
FLSTSCI
XR650L
Tri Scrambler
XR50
SRX600
Zuma 125
T100R
Aero 50
EZ90
PA50
States by MC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeniac View Post
I am looking at possibly riding the V up to Rochester, MN from Laguna Vista, TX. It is 1500 miles one way and I would need to make the trip up in under 2 days. Leaving Saturday evening around 8:00 after a 12 hr. shift in the ER and arriving in Rochester Monday evening and be ready for a job interview early Tuesday morning.
If you didn't have a 12 hour shift just before the beginning of this ride, I would have said that it's a fairly easy target you have. The problem I see is that you will be starting the first day with a high level of fatigue built in, and it's a recipe for disaster as the miles pile on that first day. After a good night's sleep, you'll be fine the next day. Doing the ride in two days isn't that difficult, so might be better to start early on Sunday after you've had a chance to rest.

The seat is easy to modify, you can do it yourself with few blocks of hard foam, spray adhesive and a staple gun.

Gustavo
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 06:18 PM

Conversely to all the nay-sayers, if you , hypothetically speaking of course, were diagnosed with something incurable and you only had 6 months to live, would you even be asking this question???

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman325 View Post
Conversely to all the nay-sayers, if you , hypothetically speaking of course, were diagnosed with something incurable and you only had 6 months to live, would you even be asking this question???
How does does getting into an accident that could get you seriously injured on the first day of those hypothetical 6 months help?

Even IBR participants practice to build up their LD riding skill. Riding when you are too tired to be 100% at the controls is just plain stupid. An ER job is probably more demanding than just riding for 12 hours, so if you leave after such a shift, it'd be at least as tired as if you'd been riding all day. I suppose the right question would be for Zeniac to think about how many 12 hour + days he has done recently and whether he thinks he can do 18 hours or so. The thing is that it's not that difficult to do the ride in two days after getting a good overnight rest, which is why I don't see the point of leaving straight after work...

Gustavo
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

I guess I should clarify things. First, I am an experienced rider and have ridden many 750 mile plus days. When I picked the bike up, I flew up from the Rio Grande to Dallas in the morning, picked the bike up around 1:00pm and rode it back home that day (520 miles) through about 250 miles of sometimes heavy rain.

I am in pretty good shape for a 50 year old male and am experienced enough to shut things down if I am getting tired. My thought was to save myself a sixty mile ride (round trip to my home) by leaving from work and hitting the road for 3-4 hours and then turning in. This would give me 4-5 hours of less time on the road Sunday and Monday. It would leave me with two 650-700 mile days which is an easy ride and still give me a good nights sleep in Rochester before the interview on Teusday morning.

The potential for mechanical or tire problems is a issue as with a bike it is not always easy to find tires or a repair shop in a timely manner. I plan to replace the rubber and I recently serviced and went over the bike from stem to stern after bringing the bike home from Dallas.

My wife thinks I am getting too old for romping across the country on two wheels and has quit riding with me for anything other than short trips, as she finds it is either too hot or too cold, too wet or too windy, or too whatever.

What I was hoping to hear was that the trip would be seen as routine and help to alay her concerns. Oh well...

I'm going to start looking at some soft luggage next week and order new rubber. I'm kind of leaning towards the Conti Road Attacks, what do you guys think of them?

Cheers,

ps Took the new sled to the baseball game tonight, everyone on bike row took a long look at the bike, mostly positive. Guys that know me thought I'd come home with a Triumph Tiger and were surpised I'd go with such a small bike.
So far I'm pretty happy with my decision.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 07:52 AM

Just back from 5400+ miles in 12 days on the GT. Did several 900 mile days, they were tough, and I did not do them back to back. The GT has cruise control, much better wind protection and nicer seat.

I could make 600+ on the V but would add a wrist lever for helping with throttle.

Think you need 3 days to manage better. I am 62 by the way.

I was on Pilot Road 2s, now over 10,500 miles and still some tread left for running around local. Stick like glue in twisties and held up to some high speed runs 2up and loaded, like 1150 lbs gross.

07 K1200GT

07 Tiger 1050 (on the way)
08 Versys (Sold)

08 Ninja 250r (wife's)

Last edited by versys_guy; 07-21-2008 at 07:55 AM.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by versys_guy View Post
Just back from 5400+ miles in 12 days on the GT. Did several 900 mile days, they were tough, and I did not do them back to back. The GT has cruise control, much better wind protection and nicer seat.

I could make 600+ on the V but would add a wrist lever for helping with throttle.

Think you need 3 days to manage better. I am 62 by the way.

I was on Pilot Road 2s, now over 10,500 miles and still some tread left for running around local. Stick like glue in twisties and held up to some high speed runs 2up and loaded, like 1150 lbs gross.
Three days would be nice, so far I have not been able to find anyone to fill in for me on Saturday, we are running very lean because of summer vacation. I may be able to get one of the night guys to come in a couple of hours early which would give me a little more of a cushion, but having the entire extra day would be gravy.

The Pilot Road 2's are also on my list. Over 10K on a tire is impressive. I have had good luck with Bibendum's tires on both cars and motorbikes. The Conti's have had good reviews as well, I have used Conti's on my bicycles and have had good results.

How does your wife like the 250R? My daughter was looking for a sled this spring and I thought the 250R would work great for her needs, she found a good used Suzuki GS500S and has been very satisfied with it.

Cheers,
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:57 PM

I put on 650 miles a few weeks ago on a 24 hr trip up north Mi. A little sore, but livable. It would be way easier once I get my new seat and a Kaoko throttle lock. I think you could do it, but I agree with the others about the inherit problem with a lack of focus, after a 12 hr day. I've done many 12 hr shifts over the years and all i wanted to do after them was a fat one and a beer, followed by 8hrs of sleep.

BTW..What were you doing in Ann Arbor? I live there, east side, Packard and Platt area. Small world ain't it?

Last edited by StonedGP; 07-21-2008 at 02:22 PM.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonedGP View Post
BTW..What were you doing in Ann Arbor? I live there, east side, Packard and Platt area. Small world ain't it?
Picked up the Speed Triple from a guy up there. I rode it back from Ann Arbor much like I did when I picked up the Versys. One great thing about bikes up north is that they usually don't have many miles on them and once you get close to the end of riding season there are always some good deals about.

Here in South Texas, our prime riding season is in the winter, summers are brutally hot and humid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode