stands: a one man job? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
stands: a one man job?

While I am waiting delivery of my 650 LT, I am wondering if putting the bike up on the stands (I bought these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00340NKLE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) is a one-man job. My previous bikes have all had center stands. This will be new to me to use these. I generally will not have another person to help me. So if it's a 2 man job, I imagine I can just use cargo straps to something secure to hold it up upright before lifting it up. How do you guys do it alone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I use a T-Rex rear stand. With kickstand down, slip stand under left spool, push handle down, stand rolls V to right onto the right spool; keep pushing down on handle and rear wheel lifts up and stand rolls into place. Reverse process to remove stand. Make sure kickstand is down before removing stand. I also use left arm to pull bike toward kickstand as I remove stand. Go slow, works great.

The T-Rex stand is solid and much more secure than the Harbor stand I first bought.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
you can do it by yourself just go slow and hold on to your bike... gravity is a law

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Nice. Thx for the info.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 01:30 PM

Garage
I have the same stand. I do it myself sometimes, but only out of necessity. I put a block of 2x4 under the side stand when I do this job alone. It helps get the bike more level to start the lift, but still at a safe angle. It also makes for a smoother landing on the side stand when taking the bike down alone.

Like silviefox says, take your time, and respect gravity - it will win everytime.

Always trust your cape.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishman View Post
While I am waiting delivery of my 650 LT, I am wondering if putting the bike up on the stands (I bought these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) is a one-man job.
Depends. When I was younger it was no big deal. Now that I'm older and beat to hell I have to have my wife hold the bike upright while I get it under the swingarm and lever.

That's one con about the V1K. It has no tapped holes for swingarm spools.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Doesn't the V1K have a center stand? The one at the dealer had one, but it may have been added.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Yep a block of wood or brick under the kickstand will make it much easier..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I have both a Harbor-Freight rear stand (in BC) and a T-Rex rear stand (in AZ), along w/ the T-Rex front stand (w/ the adaptor to go up the steering stem for removing front wheels) in both places. I BELIEVE that the T-Rex is the better stand....

I have a piece of 2 x 6 that I place under the sidestand so it's closer to level, then I roll the rear stand under till the left side 'spool' is centered in the left arm of the stand, then I steady the bike w/ my left hand as I slowly push the handle down on the stand till I've guided the right spool into the right arm, then I finish pushing down on the handle, lifting the rear. (Once I failed to monitor the right spool/ right arm "interface", and scratched the right side of the swingarm!)

I've also added a 'note' to each rear stand, reminding me to "Check sidestand DOWN!"

Didn't do THAT, once, but DID write the note after I got the bike back UP from where it landed (w/ help from a neighbor...) when it realized that NOTHING was supporting it, and I was behind, holding onto a passenger grab-handle....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 05-03-2015 at 04:18 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 05:17 PM

SW Centerstand instructions (NOT for lowered bikes!):

1 - put sidestand down w/left foot.
2 - get off bike on left.
3 - hold handlebars w/left hand and grab seat bars or rear rack tube w/right hand.
4 - tilt bike upright from sidestand, lower centerstand w/right foot to ground, hold stand put w/heel or ball of foot on ground, rock backwards, and you are done.

The Vs. centerstand (SW) is about the most well balanced, easiest lifting centerstand I've used to date.

(Note, you leave the sidestand down while the centerstand is down due to the stands will bind if you raise the centerstand while the sidestand is up also - small price to pay for an otherwise perfect centerstand for an under-bike muffler.)

Last edited by kawdog; 05-03-2015 at 05:25 PM.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Not sure about the 1k, but the 650 doesn't have a cs.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

kawdog has a center stand on his 650. It's a nice set-up...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 05:39 PM

When lowering the bike off the rear stand, (once you've made sure the side stand is down) turn the handlebars to the right, and the bike will naturally fall to the left onto the side stand. Doesn't leave you guessing which way it might topple if you lose your grasp.

2012 Versys
2007 Honda VTX 1800C
Sold everything else
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Doesn't the V1K have a center stand? The one at the dealer had one, but it may have been added.
It do, but I lowered mine and removed it. Shame really, as it was one of the better designed center stands I've seen.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 09:09 PM

Pit Bull Rear Stand

I have a Pit Bull rear stand and it isn't too difficult to do the job with on person. Definitely agree that the stand should be down though!

I straighten the front wheel and then push the bike to an almost upright position. I hold on to the rear passenger grab handle on the right side and let the bike rest lightly on my left leg just to feel safe. I can then position the supports under both spools and push the stand down to engage and hold the bike, then get it up on the stand.

When I let it down, I really just let it down slowly and keep a little pressure on it to make sure it leans in the left direction.

There is a video on the Pit Bull wensite at:
http://www.pit-bull.com/product/F0028-000.html
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 10:50 PM

Long story short:
Yes, it can and usually is.
Just Go slow, after a few times it's easy.
Kickstand always down!

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 12:27 AM

Just remember order of stands for lifting
Rear one first then front stand
Then Reverse of this to remove them.
Front stand then rear stand to lower motorcycle
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 12:41 AM

Quote:

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Yep a block of wood or brick under the kickstand will make it much easier..
+1- I find it's MUCH easier to get her on the rear stand with a piece of wood trim under the kickstand. Once on the rear (with front brake velcrod on at handle) it's far easier to get the front up. Probably a good idea to try it with a friend there just in case.

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 05:32 PM

Slightly stressful, but entirely possible. I use a large book under the side stand (The Odyssey to be specific, thanks Homer) when putting it on a rear stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode