2015 fairing removal - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2015, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
2015 fairing removal

I don't have my 650 LT yet. But I do have the light bar. I was hoping it would come assembled as a sub assembly. But it's in like 75 pieces. Thats ok. The instructions say to remove the fairing and refer the service manual to do that.
So I bought a manual and it is not really clear until I have the bike in front of me.
You guys that have a 2015, does it look complicated to remove it? Or not really?
Those fog lights look killer. Had to have it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2015, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
What kind of light bar did you get????? Should be no need to remove the fairing. You can get to the wires you need under the seat.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 05-02-2015, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

The OEM light bar from Kawasaki. It plugs into the harness. It also came with the switch that I think mounts to the brake res. clamp on the handlebar.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishman View Post
The OEM light bar from Kawasaki. It plugs into the harness. It also came with the switch that I think mounts to the brake res. clamp on the handlebar.
Gotcha....Thought you had an Admore Light Bar for the rear of the bike or something like that.

IMG_0463 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 05-02-2015, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I haven't seen one I could take apart, my dealer would likely shoot me I start taking HIS floor bike apart! But I doubt it'll be that hard with the shop manual. I suggest you read the manual carefully to be sure you find all the little nuggets in there about it AND take photos as you go . I like to put the hardware back in the holes it unscrewed it from to get track of it BUT if I can't for some reason I use small cheap food storage containers to keep track of what screws go where by writing down what they are, where they came from and dropping a photo in with them, I just print it off on regular paper on my printer. I also make it a point never to take apart more than necessary to do the job. Also I lay out a piece of carpet I have to lay the plastics on to keep them from getting scratched up, you could use a old blanket as well.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
Old 05-02-2015, 06:44 PM

Garage
Don't forget the relay. My dealer did the install and forgot the relay, I guess the lights won't work without it
Old 05-02-2015, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Thx gyork70. I will keep that in mind. I am looking in the box and see no relay and it is not listed on the components and parts list. So that's weird. And looking at the diagrams, everything plugs together and into the Kawasaki harness with nothing about a relay. Where is that on the bike? Somewhere else maybe?
Old 05-02-2015, 07:16 PM

It goes behind the fairing. Kawasaki ran the power outlet and heated grips through the same relay on the 2012. So I guess they could be running the power outlet and light the same way on the 2015. You might better call the dealer as it'd be a drag to get it all apart and find you need it and him have to order it for.

Anyway here's a photo of the relay.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
Old 05-02-2015, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Great info. I'll definitely stop in at the dealer and get that. I'll see if I can talk to the tech guys who actually install that stuff too. I bet they for sure have that relay in stock.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:11 PM

I just installed my light bar yesterday. Did most of it without taking anything off. Took the cowl under the windshield off to reach the relay and route the wiring.
The relay is a separate part you need to order.
Then partially removed the left fairing to reach the harness connector. I say partially because the bottom bolt was installed too tight and I rounded the hex, so I'll be having the dealer fix it. Was able to rotate the fairing out of the way enough.
Lights look and work great. Pricey, but it was nice not having to fab any mounts or wiring.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:26 AM

I see that you did the work today I was going to say you would have to remove the left fairing and cover under the windshield to get to the wiring

I used part of the OEM lighting brackets and made the rest coping the oem cross bar. Then mounted mounted my own led lights rigid spots lights

Here is what I made my self
with vibration dampener added like the factory

oem brackets that I bought separate

brackets bolted together under fairings

My lights mounted up
Old 05-04-2015, 12:32 AM

location of wires for led under left fairings

my light switch location

Last edited by Motojunkee; 05-04-2015 at 12:44 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for posting this. Very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNYROQ View Post
I just installed my light bar yesterday. Did most of it without taking anything off. Took the cowl under the windshield off to reach the relay and route the wiring.
The relay is a separate part you need to order.
Then partially removed the left fairing to reach the harness connector. I say partially because the bottom bolt was installed too tight and I rounded the hex, so I'll be having the dealer fix it. Was able to rotate the fairing out of the way enough.
Lights look and work great. Pricey, but it was nice not having to fab any mounts or wiring.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
How do you get these assembly drawings?
Old 05-04-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
http://www.kawasaki.com/Parts/PartsD...2015/KLE650FFF
Old 05-04-2015, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Old 05-04-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
You can grab these drawings off the kawasaski web site

These are the images for the parts diagrams

1. If you go to www.Kawasaki.com

2. look at the top right corner there is a tab owners corner click on this

3. It will show parts diagram click on this name

4. then you can either enter your vin and pull up your motorcycle or choose the menues below

5 If vin does not work you will have to choose the other menues below

6. Choose catagory / Motorcycle

7. Choose year / My case 2015

8. Choose vehicle / scroll down the list . mine is versys 650 abs

9 Click continue

10. This will show the parts diagrams

11. If you click on an image it will take you to that section of the motorcycle

12. On a PC if you right click your mouse you can view image, copy image , copy image location , save image

13. For re posting the image on the website you use copy image location.

14. now for posting on the forum when making a post. Click the small yellow box above with the small mountain in it.

15 This will pop up a box, past your image location into this box ( Click the right mouse button it will show past , click this . This will post the image location in the box. Click OK) it will be posted in your message Now

Hope this helps

Last edited by Motojunkee; 05-04-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Great shots Motojunkee. Installing the lights will be easier thanks to you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunkee View Post
location of wires for led under left fairings

my light switch location
Old 05-04-2015, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

MJ, what is the vantage point of your relay photo? Do you have an uncropped version? Hard to tell where you were shooting. Thx
Todd
Old 05-05-2015, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishman View Post
MJ, what is the vantage point of your relay photo? Do you have an uncropped version? Hard to tell where you were shooting. Thx
Todd
The photo is when you remove the wind shield and the black cover below it.
This is another photo slightly wider

What I circled in red is the black panel that needs to be removed to access where the relay will be located. the red x is where the relay location is under the panel.

to access this area
1 remove the 2 large thumb knobs from wind screen careful as there are some funny shaped washers under in the wind screen mounting hardware.

2 remove the 2 sliver screws at front of this black panel and the 2 push pins

To remove the push pins push down on the center lightly till it sinks in slightly now you should be able to pull up on the outer edges and pull them out of the plastic

3 after 2 screws are removed and 2 push pins removed. putt your fingers in these two holes and grab the panel firmly and pull forward and down lightly towards the front of the motorcycle. The panel should slide forward towards the head light.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in