Anything new or exciting - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Anything new or exciting

I've been incommunicado, no incarcerated for the last month, and have not had a chance to log on. Have been commuting to work a couple of days a week. Have I missed anything earth shaking, or any new bikes?

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
welcome back.

There's been lots of talk about the 2015 Versys 1000 and the new Versys 650 LT, and the Yamaha FJ-09. You know, discussion of the usual pros and cons. Oops... no pun intended. ... )
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the update. I looked at the 1000 recently, and it was next to a Vstrom and they seemed like twins from some perspectives. Maybe I'm just a little intimidated by the wider feeling girth when you get on. One of my bmw buddy's I ride with is trying to talk me into trying one of the F800 models if I want to increase size and power, but not go up to the 1000 level.

rayj

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
Thanks for the update. I looked at the 1000 recently, and it was next to a Vstrom and they seemed like twins from some perspectives. Maybe I'm just a little intimidated by the wider feeling girth when you get on. One of my bmw buddy's I ride with is trying to talk me into trying one of the F800 models if I want to increase size and power, but not go up to the 1000 level.
I almost bought a 2014 BMW F800GT a couple of months ago. I would like more wind protection, and an slight forward lean, and a little more power.

I decided to save my money, and ride the 650 V another season, and lower it and put on a new shock. I still need to test ride a F800GT.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
welcome back.

There's been lots of talk about the 2015 Versys 1000 and the new Versys 650 LT, and the Yamaha FJ-09. You know, discussion of the usual pros and cons. Oops... no pun intended. ... )
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

That's how I describe it to people that aren't familiar with it, an old man's Ninja.

rayj
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
That's how I describe it to people that aren't familiar with it, an old man's Ninja.
How about... a SMART man's Ninja...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Done!~

Kawasaki Versys.... the upright Ninja for old [SMART] people.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 02:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Tiger 800 is my next step up
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 02:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
I sat on one of those and it's way too cramped er ah "sporty" for this guy these days. Some bar risers and peg lowerers might make that one right too though. It does have proper height for a street going motorcycle. I know tall guys need bikes too, but dayum, these Versys got suspensions like motocross bikes. Despite the appearance, I'm not going to be jumping the Grand Canyon anytime soon.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 08:14 AM

I test road the BMW-800 three times and the 700 twice. Each time I was sure that they were what I needed. I am still riding my Versys. They maybe better off road but I only go down dirt roads so that's not a deal killer for me. They just feel boring and you sit on top of the bike.
I road enduro's for years so off road is not new to me.
I also tried out the Triumph 800. Nice but big and no deals to be had on them.
I still try out anything I can but the Versys is hard to beat.
If I am going to spend $11,000 and up it better have something better than the bike that I am riding now.
870Buz
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Not to turn this into a Beamer specific thread, but I had this video book marked. A little insight before you watch, BMW made airplanes back in WWI. After that conflict, I believe is when they started on motorcycles, as they had a time where they had little else to do.

So when you see the bi-planes chasing the motorcycle, it's meant to tie that history together.

Anyway, great video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hk1ZaiAhfk
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Buz, I also sat on the Triumph 800 and felt like a little kid. If I get a Triumph it might be a Thruxy of a modified Bonnie for around town, and I keep the V for the road.

rayj
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Buz, I also sat on the Triumph 800 and felt like a little kid. If I get a Triumph it might be a Thruxy of a modified Bonnie for around town, and I keep the V for the road.
I wanted a Thruxton bad, but realized after the test ride that it needed major suspension improvements if you ride in the real world. I was looking for used ones (so I didn't have to dump money on top of a new one) when I found my Moto Guzzi Café.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 08:11 AM

Ya the Thruxton is in my hart also. Every time I sit on one I have envisions of smoking down back roads banking from left to right sweepers like I am at the last great race of the twins. Then I wake up and remember I can buy a lighter , faster supersport for less money. I really do like them but will probably never buy one for my everyday use.
Like the BMW thing my pockets are not as deep as I would like. It's like the new hype on the KTM 1290. Very nice bike, but if I was really going to be an adventure rider I would NOT want a chain. Not going around the world with a spray can of chain lube.
Just me.
Buz870
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 08:36 AM

I've recently read that Triumph will be coming out with a ~1200 cc vertical twin, partially water cooled, a semi-modern, larger version of their Bonneville/Thruxton, hoping to go after some more of BMW's market share.

My current plan is to keep riding & farkleing my 650 V, until something exciting (to me) develops.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 09:23 AM

I bought a 24 yr old BMW. While riding it, one is totally aware of operating a contrivance of West German manufacture. It is about as far from riding the Versys as one can get. However, it is fulfilling its purpose: I bought it to go visit the Granddaughter one state over. It cruises 40mph faster than the Versys. I already have a 'beaten path' with the Pie Lab in Greensboro Al as the mid point pit stop.

I'm no diplomat
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 09:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
I've been incommunicado, no incarcerated for the last month, and have not had a chance to log on. Have been commuting to work a couple of days a week. Have I missed anything earth shaking, ... ?
How about Nepal ?

LOP
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 06:09 PM

AKA Yamadog, what is the mileage on your brick? They seem to run forever.
And yes Trialsguy I read of that new triumph also. It sounds like it might be a cool bike. I was at a triumph dealer today and he had the New Church in stock.
It was the first on that I had seen. Looked like a regular bonnie just different paint and blacked out on things. It was $1000 more than a standard bonnie.
870Buz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode