Offer on a new 2010 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Offer on a new 2010

I submitted an offer yesterday to a couple of local dealers on a new 2010 Versys. My offer was basically $7000 + tax + title + transfers for a total OTD of around $7,520 and change.

I received a response from one dealer, who is very nice I should say, and their OTD counter offer was $7,900, about $400 more than I proposed.

I am still waiting to hear from a couple of other dealers. I am curious what you folks think of these negotiations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 09:33 PM
DBL

Here's a thread that might help.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=7773

There's also a '10 Versys for sale in Austin with only 37 miles on it!

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1711938757.html

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiseman View Post
I submitted an offer ... basically $7000 + tax + title + transfers ... I received a response from one dealer, ... and their OTD counter offer was ... about $400 more than I proposed.
... I am curious what you folks think of these negotiations?
I got my 2010 for $7000 OTD (just the bike w/o Taxes, Title or Extended Warranty) and the general consensus was that that was a very good price — but that was back in February before anybody (including my dealer) knew that there was going to be a shortage of 2010’s.

So, if you’re looking at $7400, my uneducated guess is that that’s about as good as you’re going to find...

Good Luck

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 11:04 PM

Just a bit of information. OTD means that is the TOTAL you are paying for the bike. If you say "$7250 OTD plus tax" then that is not really out the door. Be sure to add purchase price + tax + title + transfers + any dealers fees = OTD. If you omit any of these charges, then it completely skews the term OTD. ::Rant done::
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 11:17 PM

most dealers will screw you with their shipping, assembly, service fees etc..... I just bought from a dealer and they wanted $1400 on top of the purchase price for that stuff! fortunately we are in a buyers market. 7.4 OTD would be an incredible deal on a 2010 IMO.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 06:58 AM

I think the $7,900 is quite reasonable. I'd reply back and say, hey, can we split the difference? If they do, or come down at all, snap it up. If they don't ... I'd still snap it up.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 07:20 AM

You could always ask for extras like a better windscreen, handguards, heated grips (very appreciated here in Canada!), or even a new helmet or boots. Ask to see available accessories.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Well while your haggling over a couple hundred dollars. Anyone on this board looking for a 2010 knows where to find one now. I haven't seen one in the shops around me and some people will come from another state to scoop one out from under your nose.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VersysLuvah View Post
Just a bit of information. OTD means that is the TOTAL you are paying for the bike. If you say "$7250 OTD plus tax" then that is not really out the door. Be sure to add purchase price + tax + title + transfers + any dealers fees = OTD. If you omit any of these charges, then it completely skews the term OTD. ::Rant done::
Well that's fine, except.....my taxes are different than yours, my title and License fees are different than yours, and my dealer documentation fee is different than yours.

OTD should be: price of bike, dealer freight, prep whatever, and dealer documentation fees.

NEVER tax and license fees.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
Well that's fine, except.....my taxes are different than yours, my title and License fees are different than yours, and my dealer documentation fee is different than yours.

OTD should be: price of bike, dealer freight, prep whatever, and dealer documentation fees.

NEVER tax and license fees.
That's a valid point
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 10:07 PM

Heh, it's really not a valid point. I normally wouldn't object, but i don't want you slipping up in the future if you use the term incorrectly. I realize there are different taxes and fees that are charged where you purchase it and who you purchase it from. Once you add those variable fees and taxes and add that to the purchase price of the bike, then you have the OTD price. It is the total price you have paid to wheel that bike "out the door".
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Heh, it's really not a valid point. I normally wouldn't object, but i don't want you slipping up in the future if you use the term incorrectly. I realize there are different taxes and fees that are charged where you purchase it and who you purchase it from. Once you add those variable fees and taxes and add that to the purchase price of the bike, then you have the OTD price. It is the total price you have paid to wheel that bike "out the door".
OK, you’re technically correct... OTD is the Total Out The Door Cost — period.

However, for the purposes of this thread, i.e., Cruiseman’s comparison shopping — what different dealers will sell the bike for — adding in the local sales taxes and license plates, etc. makes as much sense as adding other items like extended warranties, luggage or boots! Yeah, they technically might have been part of someone’s OTD cost... but they just complicate the math and create an apples to oranges comparison. The dealer in Texas isn’t taking into account what the sales tax is in New York when he makes his price quote... and neither does Cruisman care what New York’s fee is for license plates.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 11:30 PM
DBL

I think the main thing to share when quoting your OTD price are all charges on your bill of sale so other buyers everywhere can be informed on what to expect from their local dealer. With the info I buy from www.cyclecost.com I get good info on most of that but not tax/title/license and in Texas we have inspection too but that's only $14.50. I think most dealers pad their profit by inflating the freight and prep charges which I know is only $250 no matter where the dealer is located and prep is actually a credit of $85. Kawasaki PAYS the dealer to assemble the bike! When I buy a new bike I look at a past bill of sale to figure out what those other charges might be. I paid full retail for too many bikes from 1986 until around 2004, then learned how to haggle and now do what I can to help other buyers get a good deal. If the dealers weren't so greedy they would get more business from me. It encourages me to come back for more stuff. Once I got the deal on my new bike, I came back a few days later and spent almost $500 on a new helmet, jacket, and pants. The sales manager almost lost the sale on the bike when he got greedy and tried to get another $300 profit saying he wasn't making any money on the deal. Yeah, Right! I got up and started to walk away but he stopped me and made the deal on my offer. What a great feeling that was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
OK, you’re technically correct... OTD is the Total Out The Door Cost — period.

However, for the purposes of this thread, i.e., Cruiseman’s comparison shopping — what different dealers will sell the bike for — adding in the local sales taxes and license plates, etc. makes as much sense as adding other items like extended warranties, luggage or boots! Yeah, they technically might have been part of someone’s OTD cost... but they just complicate the math and create an apples to oranges comparison. The dealer in Texas isn’t taking into account what the sales tax is in New York when he makes his price quote... and neither does Cruisman care what New York’s fee is for license plates.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
It would be hard to change people's perception of OTD, but you cannot accurately compare what I pay in AZ to what you pay wherever you are if you include state mandated fees.

Just can't be done.....

OTD should be, price of bike, freight & set-up, and dealer doc fees. These are the negotiated items!

Tax and License are not negotiated and if you go shopping asking for an OTD price (inclusive of T & L) you are making a mistake.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 10:08 PM

I would be hard pressed to pay 7500 for a 10 when I could buy a 09 or 08 for 5 - 6.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I agree with Hipshot

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 11:16 PM

My Deal

I got my 2010 tax, lic included for $7300 and the dealer threw in a $400 dollar shark evoline helmet.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 06:32 PM

purchased 2010 today !!

I got my 2010 at my local dealer today , I was just planning on going to look but couldn't pass up $ 7215.00 so I bought it, as soon as it stops raining I will go for a ride.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010versys4me View Post
I got my 2010 at my local dealer today , I was just planning on going to look but couldn't pass up $ 7215.00 so I bought it, as soon as it stops raining I will go for a ride.
Did that include all the taxes, tags, title, etc.? Out the Door?
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 06:55 PM

No taxes here. Tags,Title were 150.00
so $7365.00 OTD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode