extended warranty - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
extended warranty

FYI: I always wondered how my purchase of the extended warranty would work out...now I know a little more...long and short....kudos to Kawi!

Bike/Background: original owner, purchased brand new in 7/10 along with a 48/month extended warranty (5 years total) Currently bike has a tick under 60k miles on it. The problem...malfunctioning starter, blown fork seals....resolution... Rebuilt starter and rebuilt/fixed forks, everything ($650) billed directly to Kawasaki Warranty.... I thought they might beef me on the fork seals..."wear item..." But they did not....
Now if I can just get that stator/R&R to fry before 7/29/15!!!! though they are offering to sell me 24 more months of warranty for a very reasonable price....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 07:55 PM

The "Extended Warranty" is really a service contract Sometimes they work out but most of the time they are "Cash in the drawer" for the dealer that sells them. Sounds like you got a break and it paid off.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 08:49 PM

I am 17. I just got a 2015 Versys ABS (see new member introductions) and bought the 48 month extended warranty for $630, including tires and wheel damage. My Dad said not to do it because it is a Kawasaki; what could go wrong. But, the finance lady made it sound like it would pay for itself over 5 years. I guess I will have to pay attention to my starter and fork seals. What is going to happen to my stator-Fry??

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I snagged extended warranties at eBay prices so I went for it knowing that I would hit 50,000 miles before warranty expires.

RockyMoto, how long was the bike down for repairs?

My Voyager went in a week ago tomorrow for valve train noise, and the dealer is still waiting on direction from Kawasaki.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 12:50 AM

Oh no my warranty is going to be up this August, wondering if I should get one of those cheap ebay add ons? Luckily for us these bikes are pretty tough and long lasting but any unexpected repairs in the shop can be very expensive! I changed my own rear tire and also many oil changes but I am not comfortable with the electric system or motor repairs.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMoto View Post
FYI: I always wondered how my purchase of the extended warranty would work out...now I know a little more...long and short....kudos to Kawi!

Bike/Background: original owner, purchased brand new in 7/10 along with a 48/month extended warranty (5 years total) Currently bike has a tick under 60k miles on it. The problem...malfunctioning starter, blown fork seals....resolution... Rebuilt starter and rebuilt/fixed forks, everything ($650) billed directly to Kawasaki Warranty.... I thought they might beef me on the fork seals..."wear item..." But they did not....
Now if I can just get that stator/R&R to fry before 7/29/15!!!! though they are offering to sell me 24 more months of warranty for a very reasonable price....
Great to hear it's more than just a commission for a salesman. They never offered me an extended warranty at the sale. They did try to sell me maintenance plan for $1300, which included up to 10 services over 3 years. Mostly oil changes, but if you could get 15k on the bike by then you'd at least get the valves and forks done. Probably a reasonable price if you kept a bike for 3 years, put enough miles on it, and took it in for all 10 services. The dealer is betting you won't. And I think it's a safe bet that most new bike owners won't.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 10:26 AM

I added 2 years when I bought my 650 LT, for a total of 4 years, so that it was covered while I was still making payments. Plus, I figure to have 80-100k miles by then, so I wanted some extra "insurance"...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 01:11 PM

I bought the extended warranty from my dealer at the ebay prices (about half what they list for) and have had about $1000 worth of warranty work done on the bike at no additional cost to me...one of the few times an extendede warranty paid off.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyMan View Post
I bought the extended warranty from my dealer at the ebay prices (about half what they list for) and have had about $1000 worth of warranty work done on the bike at no additional cost to me...one of the few times an extendede warranty paid off.
I would be interested to know what items you had done under warranty since mine is a 2011.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I snagged extended warranties at eBay prices so I went for it knowing that I would hit 50,000 miles before warranty expires.

RockyMoto, how long was the bike down for repairs?

My Voyager went in a week ago tomorrow for valve train noise, and the dealer is still waiting on direction from Kawasaki.
If ya' KNOW the mileage you'll PILE on, EW's can be a decent gamble...

All total about 20 days...

As I understand, they "were waiting for parts" for about half that time....
I guess they had to get some of the parts from Japan, and Japan had to
reinvent steel in the meantime....

Best of it with the Voyager...let us know how it goes...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150428_224158.jpg (46.7 KB, 72 views)

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

This too...
each "warranty claim" was a separate deal....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150428_231802 (1).jpg (39.6 KB, 75 views)

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 03:06 AM

Just put velcro fork boot covers on - $20: you're done.

Last edited by kawdog; 04-29-2015 at 03:12 AM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I would be interested to know what items you had done under warranty since mine is a 2011.
My throttle position sensor went out at ~13K miles, kind of a fluke of a problem. It comes as part of the throttle body assembly, ~$650 + the hours of labor it took them to identify the problem and replace it. They also replaced a cracked windscreen. The mounting holes cracked. They were reluctant to do it, but they did as "good faith".

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode